Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   OPA/The Jersey Boyz (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/opa-jersey-boyz-193/)
-   -   Randy took his ball and went home (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/opa-jersey-boyz/182807-randy-took-his-ball-went-home.html)

louietherigger 03-23-2008 02:14 PM

Randy took his ball and went home

Randy, Just because we didn't agree with your suggestion doesn't make it good or bad. Isn't everyone entitled to there own opinion? I hope your not mad you Mad Dog:D Louie

TYPHOON 03-23-2008 04:10 PM

Not at all guys. It was starting to sound like I was going to get a phone call from Smitty saying why do you always mess with our program. What I would like is to have the question asked to the race teams what they think. I have always been a big fan of asking what the teams want. Thats what makes them feel a part of the sport.
MD

louietherigger 03-23-2008 06:52 PM

Okay, makes sense, I counted 5 teams that like it the way it is.
Speaking of Smitty, he is the President last I heard, probably isn't a bad idea checking in with him and getting his opinion on this first. I would have, class 5 is a big class no doubt, but wouldn't we be hurting the other classes we are also trying to build? Louie

TYPHOON 03-23-2008 08:21 PM

Yes louie it might. But not as much as the smaller teams. When OPA was reformed it was going to be all about less classes and more boats per class. Fit in somewhere between class 1 and 5. And if we kept to that model and lets say 50 boats showed at a race that would average 10 boats per class. Its only my opinion but It would be a great to see one class with 25 boats in it and then some filler classes for teams that dont want to be part of the big class. More boats per class will only attract more people to want to race and it has to start with a affordable class to get it going.
Why do we have turbine,750,extreme,cat lite classes? whats wrong with Class one? You want a show with the big boys then put one on and let them all run heads up. But 6 classes is plenty. We all cant win.
Could you amagine a series with only one class! 40 boats all with the same configuration. Now thats the future to move the sport. MORE BOATS PER CLASS AND LESS CLASSES.
MD

byrideroffshore 03-24-2008 07:05 AM

Randy Am I missing something..but didnt YOU support the 850 debacle that tore up OSS???? I noticed u didnt list that in your" turbine,750,extreme,catlite etc, etc" Please explain..

Its still nice to see Randy around though i must admit

louietherigger 03-24-2008 07:54 AM

I have been weighing this out in my mind and I am of the opinion that there are other things to work on. The feeling I have, which may be harsh is that if any team big or small is entering this sport with the idea that they will make a living or pay for this or that, is in for a rude awakening. Going back as far as Guy Lomdardo, Don Aronow, Rocky Aioki you know the gods of this sport they were all rich. Smitty's OPA is the most affordable organization on the planet. A registration and crew fee and your good all year. I'm at a loss of where tampering with the purse structure is going to do long term good for the OPA or Offshore racing? I know the economy is in the toilet and every penny counts but there are still ways for teams to raise money with sponsors, leaving the purses alone so we can continue to grow all the classes. Isn't that what were are ultimately trying to accomplish? If the OPA was a pay to race org. like OSS or SBI and this is not a shot at either one, dividing the purses to coincide with the boat count it would make more sense, because your are allready paying to race.
Just my opinion, Louie

TYPHOON 03-24-2008 08:25 AM

Tony I didnt think OPA had any 850 boats running there. If they did I would make them run class one as well and have more boats in class one. Im not a big fan of watching a boat race themselves or 2 other boats and calling it a race. Thats just me. If you want to beat on OSS a little I also think its craze to have 2 classes so close (850 and 525).
Louie nothing is going to change in OPA with the purse! I am just thinking out load and wondering if anyone else has any thoughts on it. We can all talk about ideas here on the board but in reality they dont mean $hit. The top dog will make all the calls that he feels is best for OPA. Yes it is working great but does not mean there is no room for improvements.

MD

TYPHOON 03-24-2008 08:26 AM

Also I didnt take my ball home I took my prop home!:grinser010:
MD

2 Trick Rick 03-24-2008 09:58 AM

Although I don’t agree with a lot of what Randy has said in the past after reading a few of the others team’s posts I think they do have a point.

I would just suggest that we round down the class purse from 4166.67pr class to 4000.00 a class that the class (weather that class be 6,5 or 4) with the biggest boat count gets an extra 1000.00 that would be out as 600.00 for 4th and 400.00 for 5th. it may not be much, but it helps!

But its up to Smitty and all the OPA teams to vote – if things change or stay the way they are now it wont affect me either way (Unless I finish 4th 6 races in a row) :D

MANITIE 03-24-2008 02:58 PM

Well....some have not learned from the passed....but racers having to much input can do just as much damage as good....

Lets not foget what happend to APBA at the end of 03.....

and lets not get greety when it comes to prise money.....

We should be very happy in OPA's current set up.....some racers will never be saticefied....

In OSS and SBI you have to pay entre fee's to race...
In OPA WE DO NOT.....we all should be very gratefull for this becasue I have never raced in any Org that I did not have to pay a entre fee and to top that to recieve prise money is a great thing....

I have never had a problem if I had a question or some type of input to call Smitty and ask what dose he think about something to help the sport....

This topic has come up in OSS.......but you also have to pay a heftey entree fee....and they changed there pay out to the amount of boats that are in a class.....but still I don't see the hudge boat count in anyone class....

WE PAY NOTHING TO RACE BUT A SMALL REG. FEE AND CREW FEE...THE SMALLEST IN ALL OF OFFSHORE.....'

Is this really what we think will make our sport better....of all the things we can do to make our sport better...is this really the thing to move us foward or are some just looking to benifit thereselves.....

Class 5 will be the biggest class in 08.....maybe you should concentrate on sponsorship and promoting your class to get a little more money and in return will help out OPA as a Org....

To many racers are worried about themselves and not the Org. that has given them everything they want.....