Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   OPA/The Jersey Boyz (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/opa-jersey-boyz-193/)
-   -   Thanks for Good Memories (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/opa-jersey-boyz/194035-thanks-good-memories.html)

Ms PatriYacht 08-26-2008 11:12 PM

Thanks for Good Memories

As many of you know I came to the NY race so I could enjoy it with my family from Long Island, and most of all my Dad. Like Louie said in another thread the whole weekend was perfect until the last race. Even though this was my family's first race they feel the pain of those touched by the accident and extend their heartfelt sympathy. I somehow feel that as racers Phil and Kevin would love to know that the joy this sport brought to them made an 8l year old man in failing health feel like a kid again. Racers please know that what you do gave me, his daughter, a weekend of memories that will last a life time.

I want to thank every racer and crew member that made this a big event for my Dad, especially thanks to the Geico team for generously offering us a comfortable home base. Scott and Marc thank you for the patience and respect you showed my Dad, it just proved once again what gentlemen and true ambassadors to the sport you are. The same goes for Tom Abrams who not only took the time to explain the workings of his custom Peterbuilt but also let us use his Golf cart so my dad could get around. Thank you to Kitten and Glen who explained the ins and out of the racing classes, to Ann from Wahoo who kept my dad company during the second race while I was at the pier, to Jim Devlin who showed my parents the workings of the classic Comanche,The Caveman, to Jim's wife who kept my Mom company while my Dad explored the pits. Thanks to others like Dave from Cleveland Construction and Gino from Boat Responsibly that shook his hand and spoke to him for a while, to JDByrider's driver that let my Dad talk big rigs. I know he met more of you but the weekend is still a bit of a blur.

I guess his happiness to be at the race site was summed up when he kept telling everyone on Saturday that "normally I have trouble walking 10 feet but today I could walk everywhere":D I know this is a sad time in the racing community but I wanted you to know that you are creating memories for many families that will last a life time, once again thank you to all of you that help make this happen. Donna

AB From Windsor 08-27-2008 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Ms PatriYacht (Post 2665216)
As many of you know I came to the NY race so I could enjoy it with my family from Long Island, and most of all my Dad. Like Louie said in another thread the whole weekend was perfect until the last race. Even though this was my family's first race they feel the pain of those touched by the accident and extend their heartfelt sympathy. I somehow feel that as racers Phil and Kevin would love to know that the joy this sport brought to them made an 8l year old man in failing health feel like a kid again. Racers please know that what you do gave me, his daughter, a weekend of memories that will last a life time.

I want to thank every racer and crew member that made this a big event for my Dad, especially thanks to the Geico team for generously offering us a comfortable home base. Scott and Marc thank you for the patience and respect you showed my Dad, it just proved once again what gentlemen and true ambassadors to the sport you are. The same goes for Tom Abrams who not only took the time to explain the workings of his custom Peterbuilt but also let us use his Golf cart so my dad could get around. Thank you to Kitten and Glen who explained the ins and out of the racing classes, to Ann from Wahoo who kept my dad company during the second race while I was at the pier, to Jim Devlin who showed my parents the workings of the classic Comanche,The Caveman, to Jim's wife who kept my Mom company while my Dad explored the pits. Thanks to others like Dave from Cleveland Construction and Gino from Boat Responsibly that shook his hand and spoke to him for a while, to JDByrider's driver that let my Dad talk big rigs. I know he met more of you but the weekend is still a bit of a blur.

I guess his happiness to be at the race site was summed up when he kept telling everyone on Saturday that "normally I have trouble walking 10 feet but today I could walk everywhere":D I know this is a sad time in the racing community but I wanted you to know that you are creating memories for many families that will last a life time, once again thank you to all of you that help make this happen. Donna

I completely agree with you, we need to thank all thoughs who race, their crews and sponsors and those who volunteer to make this possible for all of us to enjoy. There is really nothing we can say or do that will change what had happened and it has affected everyone whether you knew Phil DeJana or Kevin Graff. We are all very sad to lose two great guy's, who loved to race for not only their enjoyment but for the enjoyment of all of us who watch and followed Offshore Racing. I pray for the families and friends of Phil and Kevin to one day realize that they were living their dream and their memories will live on for not only the family but for everyone who knew them or didn't. RIP, Phil DeJana and Kevin Graff of the Areo Express Race Team.

Wahoo ATV 08-27-2008 08:37 AM

Donna, sorry I missed you. Anne said your father is a very nice man and reminded her of her grand father. Thank you for coming out.

AugiePensa 08-27-2008 09:43 AM

Donna, great seeing you again. It's been a long time. As you know, our teams are just a bunch of everyday people who love to race and meet the fans. Were a bunch of hams!

Panther 08-27-2008 09:56 AM

Donna, nice meeting you!

Frank

glassdave 08-27-2008 10:19 AM

Donna it was a nice surprise seeing you in Patchogue, I looked across the table at the Geico tent an said "hey . . .that looks like Donna . . that IS Donna" :D It was also nice talking to you father over lunch i could see he was having a great time at the event. Hope to see you again soon, will you be at the Kellys Island run this weekend?

JCPERF 08-27-2008 11:43 AM

Donna nice meeting you and your father hope you had a good time

Ms PatriYacht 08-27-2008 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by glassdave (Post 2665530)
Donna it was a nice surprise seeing you in Patchogue, I looked across the table at the Geico tent an said "hey . . .that looks like Donna . . that IS Donna" :D It was also nice talking to you father over lunch i could see he was having a great time at the event. Hope to see you again soon, will you be at the Kellys Island run this weekend?

yes we will be, can't wait. As much I loved seeing the racing, it will be good to get back in our own boat.

It was good to meet up with old and new friends, thanks again

kitten 08-27-2008 01:28 PM

This is a nice post. It was nice hanging out together and your father is a sweet man. How nice your mom was content to sit in the tent and wait.:p

I am sorry your dad lost his camera full of great pictures! ....MAYBE SOMEONE ON HERE FOUND ITand thought it was theirs?.....Did you check the WHM golf cart?

:cool:

PatriYacht 08-27-2008 02:37 PM

Hey Dave, sorry for hijacking Donna's thread, but if you're going to Kelly's, could you sell us one of those 57 stickers . I would like to have it for the fall poker run. Thanks everyone for showing Donna's dad such a good time. Wish I could've been there. Ian