Like Tree0Likes

Is it time for Class 7?

Reply
Old 02-26-2012, 08:56 AM
  #31
Registered
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Tuckerton, NJ
My Boats: 1999 Phantom SVL13 WE HAUL BOATS - 29 Mirage TEAM 5-31 WHOZ YOUR DADDY OFFSHORE RACING
Posts: 2,168
Default

This class would be a great addition to offshore racing and OPA. It would give allot of people to opportunity to try out racing with a boat that they probably already have. Is it that hard to just say F*ck it and make this happen?
GoFastSonic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:07 AM
  #32
Registered
 
mgocean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Seaford Ny
Posts: 87
Default Sob

I raced this class In the mid 90's in 3 different boats an was a great class.
Ran a 21 challenger and Suberboat 21 all with outboards, was great, they had a large fleet with some 24' bananas with V8's
Would do it again if class came around
Got to set world kilo record in superboat that still holds
Would love to see it again, great opportunity to get my son an myself in a boat
mgocean is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:12 PM
  #33
Registered
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toms River,NJ
My Boats: 1991 24ft Pantera & 1988 22ft Velocity
Posts: 441
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgocean View Post
I raced this class In the mid 90's in 3 different boats an was a great class.
Ran a 21 challenger and Suberboat 21 all with outboards, was great, they had a large fleet with some 24' bananas with V8's
Would do it again if class came around
Got to set world kilo record in superboat that still holds
Would love to see it again, great opportunity to get my son an myself in a boat
I remember in US OFFSHORE the class being very competitive and exciting!The class usually had at least 8-12 boats.Mike you really know how to run a 21ft Superboat in all water conditions!
waterboy1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:03 AM
  #34
Registered
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Tuckerton, NJ
My Boats: 1999 Phantom SVL13 WE HAUL BOATS - 29 Mirage TEAM 5-31 WHOZ YOUR DADDY OFFSHORE RACING
Posts: 2,168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy1 View Post
I remember in US OFFSHORE the class being very competitive and exciting!The class usually had at least 8-12 boats.Mike you really know how to run a 21ft Superboat in all water conditions!
Mark
I think this would be a great addition to OPA let's get this done for this year if Smitty and the powers that bee can make things happen. Simple rulls to keep it affordable probably not even GPS just basic math. OPA registration fees to cover costs and trophy racing only to kiss keep it simple stupid. 2 years max in the class? No big stupid motors common sense stuff.
Just my 2 cents but hey I'm just a dumb bus driver
GoFastSonic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:20 AM
  #35
Racer
Racer
 
2 Trick Rick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Chesterfield, MI
My Boats: 34 Sea Ray Sedan Bridge, 13.5 RD Inflatable Cat, (**ft, ********) Top Secret
Posts: 2,801
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFastSonic View Post
Mark
I think this would be a great addition to OPA let's get this done for this year if Smitty and the powers that bee can make things happen. Simple rulls to keep it affordable probably not even GPS just basic math. OPA registration fees to cover costs and trophy racing only to kiss keep it simple stupid. 2 years max in the class? No big stupid motors common sense stuff.
Just my 2 cents but hey I'm just a dumb bus driver
some types of motor sports should never have a time caped class with "Time" limits.. this would be one.
2 Trick Rick is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:50 AM
  #36
Registered
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Bremerton, WA
My Boats: 1987 21 Skater
Posts: 15
Default

I been running my 21 Skater with a 300x in POPRA
That would be a good class to run.
People don't want to spend a lot of money on there boats but they will pay to go racing. I travel 3000 miles round trip to go racing.
521 Racing is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:53 AM
  #37
Registered
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toms River,NJ
My Boats: 1991 24ft Pantera & 1988 22ft Velocity
Posts: 441
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFastSonic View Post
Mark
I think this would be a great addition to OPA let's get this done for this year if Smitty and the powers that bee can make things happen. Simple rulls to keep it affordable probably not even GPS just basic math. OPA registration fees to cover costs and trophy racing only to kiss keep it simple stupid. 2 years max in the class? No big stupid motors common sense stuff.
Just my 2 cents but hey I'm just a dumb bus driver
I agree with keeping it as simple and as affordable as possible;maybe only trophy racing too.However,I dont think a time limit on how long someone could compete in this class would be a good idea.In the past,many teams moved up, but others did not want or could not afford to.
With the availability of inexpensive boats and motors;the potential for this class is definately there.The emphasis would have to be on keeping the speeds down and the boats as safe as possible;ie hydraulic steering,good seats etc..I do also understand that OPA tried this before and it really never got going.But what would they have to lose if it was a no prize money class anyway.
waterboy1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:43 PM
  #38
Registered
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Tuckerton, NJ
My Boats: 1999 Phantom SVL13 WE HAUL BOATS - 29 Mirage TEAM 5-31 WHOZ YOUR DADDY OFFSHORE RACING
Posts: 2,168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy1 View Post
I agree with keeping it as simple and as affordable as possible;maybe only trophy racing too.However,I dont think a time limit on how long someone could compete in this class would be a good idea.In the past,many teams moved up, but others did not want or could not afford to.
With the availability of inexpensive boats and motors;the potential for this class is definately there.The emphasis would have to be on keeping the speeds down and the boats as safe as possible;ie hydraulic steering,good seats etc..I do also understand that OPA tried this before and it really never got going.But what would they have to lose if it was a no prize money class anyway.
I think the trophy only thing will keep people from being stupid a far as speed and HP so the no GPS thing works the 2 year thing would just keep someone from building a class killer which seems to be what happened in another entry/low budget class. The big issue its safety for sure like the steering seats and such I'm sure there are allot of checkmate and Baja owners right now lettering up there bmx helmets and waxing there trailers to go racing lmao. But serious I think this would be great
GoFastSonic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:56 PM
  #39
Registered
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Franconia, PA
My Boats: Smith Brothers/CRC 611. 2013/2016 OPA Class 6 World Champions, 2009 & 2015 OPA Class 6 National Champions. 2015 APBA National Champions, 26' Joker Powerboat.
Posts: 866
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFastSonic View Post
I think the trophy only thing will keep people from being stupid a far as speed and HP so the no GPS thing works the 2 year thing would just keep someone from building a class killer which seems to be what happened in another entry/low budget class. The big issue its safety for sure like the steering seats and such I'm sure there are allot of checkmate and Baja owners right now lettering up there bmx helmets and waxing there trailers to go racing lmao. But serious I think this would be great
So after 2 years what do you do with the boat? Can't run it in class 6, it's not competitive. 2 year rule does not keep anyone from building a class killer either. Always going to be someone willing to spend the money to dominate any class. The trick is not keeping them out of the class, but rules that keep it even for everyone.
sbracing is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:06 PM
  #40
Driver-441
Racer
 
TeamSaris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Lake George
My Boats: 32 Cobra Raceboat, 27 Avanti Raceboat 27 Kryptonite Raceboat
Posts: 11,334
Default

2.5L limit, Carb only,Wingplate steering for safety, Small Blocks limited to Alpha Drives only, limited to 23 feet. V Hull Only. A Competitive raceboat for under 10k. Itd look like this but with 8-10 boats
Attached Thumbnails
Is it time for Class 7?-lgff24.jpg  
TeamSaris is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:10 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.