Old 03-07-2012, 10:12 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,070 Likes on 283 Posts

Scotty thats just mean
Old 03-07-2012, 11:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hate to bother people with facts but it seems like a PR stunt.

there is only one builder that has the talent, skill and shop to do wood plugs of that size= SKATER.

looks like a old cat with a gieco cover, or maybe its the test dummy boat for capsule testing ?
Old 03-07-2012, 11:12 AM
Racer
Racer

As usual Dave, your wrong. Sharkey saw the real deal
Old 03-07-2012, 11:14 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a fact, Glad Gieco is still around and supporting us all. Best Wishes Guy's!
Old 03-07-2012, 11:27 AM
Registered

Mary Mac, The sheik, aquamania, gieco. Good luck to all and I am looking forward to 2014. Hopefully in jacksonville first. Good luck guys
Old 03-07-2012, 04:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MissGeicoRacing
As usual Dave, your wrong. Sharkey saw the real deal
well the proof should have been in the pictures, which didn't show anything. so why HIDE all the workmanship that it takes to do such a project? have you guys ever seen a wood plug for a boat??? maybe ask Pete at Skater to share some pictures. or it could be something like others have done which is take an old boat and slap some plywood on it and call it an their "original design".

here's a few pointers:

1. they're usually upside down to be able to correctly build the plug, take measurement and do all the blueprinting

2. they usually don't have a deck or canopy on them or what ever your hiding under the cover, since once your done building the plug its easier to make a mold rather than working upside down.

sorry for pointing out facts, just doesn't make sense from what PROFESSIONALs do, that perform this type of work. just saying that the sharkey pics dont make sense

Last edited by skaterdave; 03-07-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:21 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MissGeicoRacing
Sharkey saw the real deal

Yes, and is why it was so important to get images of this tooling in the stage that it is in.

Quite honestly, for everything I had to do at that shop that day, I never really got a chance to take it all in.

Which is why now I just went back to have a look at the images. Yes it appears to have been CNC'd.

I have images showing what resembles the bit marks on the feature lines.

The black that you see as the bottom is not actually a hull. Picture it more like a piece of formica screwed to metal frame work behind it. Perhaps even a portion of the tooling already complete and now they are building from the chine on up.

Yes Dave, a hull tool would be built upside down.

What you see in the video is that they are working on the deck and sides. I don't know anyone that would do a plug for a deck upside down ???

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 03-07-2012, 07:54 PM
Registered

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by SHARKEY-IMAGES

Yes Dave, a hull tool would be built upside down.

What you see in the video is that they are working on the deck and sides. I don't know anyone that would do a plug for a deck upside down ???

sharkey your lost buddy, you should have paid attention last time you where at Skater !!!

did you really say "formica and steel studs".

NO ONE would work on the hull sides as part of the deck. you make the hull including the "sides" and then the as a separate piece the deck plug.

and in the CNC milling process, you mill foam, then a putty mixture, then sand for days and days and days.

whats in that video looks nothing like either of the the 2 ways to make a plug. more like taking an old race boat and slapping some plywood on it and adding a bunch of cosmetic glasswork

plus the deck area is conveniently covered so you cant tell what kind of boat they started with.

agian ask Skater for some pictures of his work. i happen to see the 388 plug when they were making that. now there was some awesome workmanship. and NO formica or steel studs.

i could be wrong as scotty stated, but hea show some pics of the work.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:24 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by skaterdave
sharkey your lost buddy, you should have paid attention last time you where at Skater !!!

did you really say "formica and steel studs".

NO ONE would work on the hull sides as part of the deck. you make the hull including the "sides" and then the as a separate piece the deck plug.

and in the CNC milling process, you mill foam, then a putty mixture, then sand for days and days and days.

whats in that video looks nothing like either of the the 2 ways to make a plug. more like taking an old race boat and slapping some plywood on it and adding a bunch of cosmetic glasswork

plus the deck area is conveniently covered so you cant tell what kind of boat they started with.

agian ask Skater for some pictures of his work. i happen to see the 388 plug when they were making that. now there was some awesome workmanship. and NO formica or steel studs.

i could be wrong as scotty stated, but hea show some pics of the work.
You are so wrong with your accusations.

It was simply a description without giving too much away. It could be fiberglass for all I know, but I am describiing what I see in the pics.
When authorized I will add more photos but not until then.

I walked all over this plug and no, there is not a someone else's boat under it.

Have you ever seen a multi part mold ?

That's what this boat will need to build it as designed.

Did I ever see a wooden plug ? You are kidding right ?
I was the one applying all of the releasing agent on the 22 Bullet Boat wood/formica plug back in the 80's.

I guess you forgot I did a photo shoot at Skater and did a complete Factory Tour.

First and foremost on the larger Skaters Peter does not have Deck Molds. Just think of the size of the building he would need to have to house those let alone heat .

Peter specifically stated to me that it would be a total waste of space when he can do one-off decks on the boats as he is doing now. Unless that's changed since I was there last ? I doubt it though.

Deck being built on a Skater at Skater:

It has nothing to do with the MGR Project.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:33 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

And for the record, yes it was MDF Medium Density Fibreboard that I was looking at that made up the deck and hull sides.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.