Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Outerlimits
05 51 Full cabin must go! >

05 51 Full cabin must go!

Notices

05 51 Full cabin must go!

Old 08-22-2012, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have talked to a couple of people who claim you can get a lot more than 50 hours out them as well. On the other hand, I was at the Toronto Boat Show 2 years ago talking to a fellow from a BIG offshore dealer/shop "up here" that told me SOME of his customers with 1075'S bring there boats in for maintainance after EVERY poker run. Naturally, these are "money" guys and whether the motor actually needs that kind of attention or the owners just do it because they "can" I am not sure, I was however pretty suprised at how often they require maintainance.

On a different note, Didn't these motors come with a factory warranty? Was the warranty extended past 50 hours? in other words, was the required maintainance covered by warranty? If not, whats the point, heck, ANYONE could warrany a motor for a year if you had to rebuild it every 50 hours to maintain the warranty!

I could be WAY off base here, but, I suspect that this being the Outerlimits forum there are PLENTY of folks on here with 1075 set ups, look forward to the info!

Michael
Old 08-22-2012, 08:50 PM
Performance Boat Center
VIP Member

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LapseofReason
Unless they changed the rebuild hours when from when they came out it was valve check and oil changes every 15-25 hours, top ends at 50 and total rebuilds at 100. Most of the builders I talked to said they still wanna look at the bottom end at 50 but it might not need much. Also there are better parts out now you can use so you could stretch your time I am sure since most are not racing it. It's an awesome boat no doubt and if you can get good fuel and don't wanna live on it for couple weeks at a time like I do it's a great deal. Not bashing it at all just not the power for me.
No worries... I'm just pointing out that "50 Hour Rebuilds" is not correct.
Even the above maintenance schedule is excessive.. Most checked the valves every other oil change, with oil every 15-20 hours. the valvetrain then tells the whole story, and is a good crystal ball forecasting the length of time before more in depth work...
954-809-8739
Wright Performance, MTI, Cigarette, Sunsation
Old 08-22-2012, 09:19 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Have always wondered if the hour limits are based on real run time or just total run time. A scan tool hooked to a recreational use boat almost always shows a good majority of run time at or near idle.

I love the boat, think I can tow it with a Tundra?
Old 08-22-2012, 09:35 PM
Registered

Tundra??!! Might be TOO much truck, I would use an older S-10 with 2.8L motor, lol!!
Old 08-23-2012, 07:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by n20michael
I have talked to a couple of people who claim you can get a lot more than 50 hours out them as well. On the other hand, I was at the Toronto Boat Show 2 years ago talking to a fellow from a BIG offshore dealer/shop "up here" that told me SOME of his customers with 1075'S bring there boats in for maintainance after EVERY poker run. Naturally, these are "money" guys and whether the motor actually needs that kind of attention or the owners just do it because they "can" I am not sure, I was however pretty suprised at how often they require maintainance.

On a different note, Didn't these motors come with a factory warranty? Was the warranty extended past 50 hours? in other words, was the required maintainance covered by warranty? If not, whats the point, heck, ANYONE could warrany a motor for a year if you had to rebuild it every 50 hours to maintain the warranty!

I could be WAY off base here, but, I suspect that this being the Outerlimits forum there are PLENTY of folks on here with 1075 set ups, look forward to the info!

Michael
Yea a lot depends on how you run it, and its a better safe than sorry type thing. If you stay on top of the valves because they are what gets worn out first then you can run the bottom longer, but if the $20 valve spring or $30 valve breaks it could cost you $50k. Thats why the big money guys who run hard check a lot . I am not one of those guys and do most all my work myself so I dont want to be into my motors once a month during season other than oil and other fluids and just checking stuff. I like the pull the motors after 3,4,5 seasons. When you have solid lifters vs hydraulic is when the valves take more of a beating.

If you read the adds on boats with 1075's most have less than 100 hours and say just refreshed, you wont see 170 hours and still going strong, just not a good selling point.If they dont say that better it be the first thing you ask, I am sure that when that motor came out and everybody had money and then it ran out or they just got sold or got repoed a lot went without the work they should have had and are time bombs. I put 75-100 hours on a season when I have a boat the whole season so that puts me rebuilding every year if I was to run big power a lot.

I would say most people buying 1075's or any big money motor like that knows what they are getting into before they buy, or they learn real fast and dont have as much fun as they had hoped for.

But now with the TT they wont have motor problems it will be something else like running into stuff, just like when the jet skis started going four strokes. I am in that biz. and people that stayed away because of all the oil and gas now were buying and maybe some shouldnt have.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:02 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 36 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim G.
No worries... I'm just pointing out that "50 Hour Rebuilds" is not correct.
Even the above maintenance schedule is excessive.. Most checked the valves every other oil change, with oil every 15-20 hours. the valvetrain then tells the whole story, and is a good crystal ball forecasting the length of time before more in depth work...
This is accurate. I ran my 1075 boat very hard. Valve lash at 15 hour intervals keeps a good eye on things. They are very good engines. Only down side is their old technology vs. mercs new turbos. But when compared to any other engine they are still at the top of thier class in my opinion. And oh yea to have the turbos in a 51 your going to be north of a million. So for the buy, I think someone will get a good boat at a good price.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BraceYourself
This is accurate. I ran my 1075 boat very hard. Valve lash at 15 hour intervals keeps a good eye on things. They are very good engines. Only down side is their old technology vs. mercs new turbos. But when compared to any other engine they are still at the top of thier class in my opinion. And oh yea to have the turbos in a 51 your going to be north of a million. So for the buy, I think someone will get a good boat at a good price.
So if your saying a new 52 with 1350 and m 8 would be over a mil, witch I agree unless you work it a while. So for my fantasy deal for me that if i had the cash would try. You get this boat for 190-200k with a pass on leak down and valve check, and all fluids flushed it they hadn't done it already. I think I saw where they had done a ton to it and I am sure they are not scared to take care of it. I would then maybe run it 5-10 hours on it by the end of the season here and want to sell the power. should be able to get 60 maybe 80k for the power and exh.sys. Buy the 1100 TT use the old trans and #6 but rebuild 25-35k,I swear i saw the 1100's for 72k- 78k somewhere but not sure add another 200k in for 2 with install and stuff you have 350-360k in a boat for me as good as the mil. dollar one, They are both perfect for me.

Last edited by LapseofReason; 08-23-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:04 AM
Registered

Yea a lot depends on how you run it, and its a better safe than sorry type thing. If you stay on top of the valves because they are what gets worn out first then you can run the bottom longer, but if the $20 valve spring or $30 valve breaks it could cost you $50k. Thats why the big money guys who run hard check a lot . I am not one of those guys and do most all my work myself so I dont want to be into my motors once a month during season other than oil and other fluids and just checking stuff. I like the pull the motors after 3,4,5 seasons. When you have solid lifters vs hydraulic is when the valves take more of a beating.

If you read the adds on boats with 1075's most have less than 100 hours and say just refreshed, you wont see 170 hours and still going strong, just not a good selling point.If they dont say that better it be the first thing you ask, I am sure that when that motor came out and everybody had money and then it ran out or they just got sold or got repoed a lot went without the work they should have had and are time bombs. I put 75-100 hours on a season when I have a boat the whole season so that puts me rebuilding every year if I was to run big power a lot.

I would say most people buying 1075's or any big money motor like that knows what they are getting into before they buy, or they learn real fast and dont have as much fun as they had hoped for.

But now with the TT they wont have motor problems it will be something else like running into stuff, just like when the jet skis started going four strokes. I am in that biz. and people that stayed away because of all the oil and gas now were buying and maybe some shouldnt have.
Cool! Thanks for the info, very helpful and appreciated!

I MUCH prefer the 4 stroke Jet Ski's, I think Yamaha was one of the first ones to go that route? MUCH quieter than the old 2 strokes, man those thing are ANNOYING!

Thanks again for the info!
Michael
Old 08-24-2012, 02:07 AM
Registered

So if your saying a new 52 with 1350 and m 8 would be over a mil, witch I agree unless you work it a while. So for my fantasy deal for me that if i had the cash would try. You get this boat for 190-200k with a pass on leak down and valve check, and all fluids flushed it they hadn't done it already. I think I saw where they had done a ton to it and I am sure they are not scared to take care of it. I would then maybe run it 5-10 hours on it by the end of the season here and want to sell the power. should be able to get 60 maybe 80k for the power and exh.sys. Buy the 1100 TT use the old trans and #6 but rebuild 25-35k,I swear i saw the 1100's for 72k- 78k somewhere but not sure add another 200k in for 2 with install and stuff you have 350-360k in a boat for me as good as the mil. dollar one, They are both perfect for me.
\\

Or? You could buy it and use it as is, and have a 52 foot outerlimits with killer engines/drives that will run 100mph+, handle rough water and with all the amenities of most Sea Ray's for about 200K..........

HOWEVER....swapping to TT's:

That WOULD be one VERY, VERY cool boat and it would be killer in rough water, plus, other than a handful of Cats there wouldn't be a lot that would run with you at poker runs, Damn, if you decide to go that route and need a hand spinning wrenches over the winter, let me know! LOL

Michael

Last edited by n20michael; 08-24-2012 at 02:09 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:41 AM
Registered

When the 1350s came out I was told it was 200k a side for the package. So 100k per motor sounds about rite to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.