Fueling issue: Need opinions/ideas where to start troubleshooting >

Fueling issue: Need opinions/ideas where to start troubleshooting

Notices

Fueling issue: Need opinions/ideas where to start troubleshooting

Old 06-02-2008, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Baddogz,

If both engines died at the same time.....
I would take a closer look at the tank and the fuel quality.

A stupid question, did the boat sittin outside during the winter??

//Mange
Old 06-02-2008, 03:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by txriverrat2001
Just a bit of advice - if your picking up a flusher (fake lake thingy) get one designed for a Bravo. It has the wire that goes through the drive - not a wrap around generic type. I've seen way to many incidents where someone puts the wrap around on and while in the boat it falls off eating the impeller all to hell and now you have another problem.

In regards to your running issue - If you have the VST type fuel system (I suspect you do) you may or may not hear the pump cycle - they are much quieter than the later cool fuel system. You can stick you hand on the pump on the VST tank and feel it cycle. If no cycle - you have no power feed to the ECM - fuse, relay, bad connection, etc...

And you mentioned motors - both of them died at the same time? If so - you have something other than an engine EFI issue. Stereo? Low voltage??? Are the batt switches in the "BOTH" position? If both died realtively at the same time - it's something else ruining your day - my guess.......
I was able to hear the pumps cycle, and the batts had enough juice to crank on and off for about 20 minutes as we were troubleshooting... Never felt like it had a weak charge at any time.

As far as both of them dying at the same time, it wasn't exact... The port died first, and then about 20 seconds later the stbd crapped out.

Thanks for the input.

Baddogz,

If both engines died at the same time.....
I would take a closer look at the tank and the fuel quality.

A stupid question, did the boat sittin outside during the winter??

//Mange
The boat was stored in a climate controlled warehouse before I picked it up. It has been in my driveway for the last few weeks since I bought it.

On the way to the lake yesterday, put about 40 gallons in the tank, as it was already about half full.... Had no problems with gas or anything last weekend when we had it out and I filled at the same station.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:42 PM
Registered

On a normal setup the pick up tubes would be different lengths - this would leave one engine w/ fuel while the other was dry. All depends on the rigger..... but the length difference would give you enough fuel for longer than what you stated....
Old 06-02-2008, 03:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by michigan troll
Are you sure you have fuel.
The gas prices are high enough, people are finding alot of ways and places to steal gas. A boat would be very easy if its not inside a building.
Originally Posted by baddogz28
Yeah, it definitely had gas. We topped it off on the way to the lake.

Will be checking for spark on thursday to make sure... It did seem like the motor had spark as it was running for 5 mins or so though. I'm also going to investigate that electric main pump. Thanks for all the help man.
Are you SURE?!

Those bastards sure are fast sometimes...
Old 06-02-2008, 04:04 PM
Registered

It was never out of my sight.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:14 AM
Back out of the Game!
Gold Member

I removed, inspected and reinstalled both fuel filters which appeared to be functioning normally.

Also removed and inspected hose going to the mechanical fuel pumps from the fuel filter at the pump. Noted that the inside of the hose appeared dry, and no fuel leaked out whatsoever when it was disconnected.

All of my sherlock holmes powers of deduction lead me to believe I have some obstruction in the tank or activated some kill switch that I don't know about when I was installing my stereo (?) by accident....
In my experience it's usually something simple, not always but if it's sudden and both motors something simple happened. I agree it sounds like fuel ... when you checked the fuel filters, I assume you dumped them out and re-installed them. After you put them back on and ran the electric pumps did they fill back up again? but did the hose after the filters remain dry?

Since you had fuel in the filters, and did not in the hose after the filters I would concentrate on that area. Check to see if the filters filled again after being dumped out and if so is there any fuel leaving the filters? I would replace the filters regardless and check again. Also check to make sure there is no obstruction in the filter base ...... also if you can take a look in the tank by the pickups see what's going on in there.

I had to replace my sender this winter and was able to drain my tank completly through the sender access hole to make sure I was starting out with fresh fuel with my newly rebuilt engine.

Good luck ....I hope you find it quick!
Old 06-03-2008, 11:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mikeb4
In my experience it's usually something simple, not always but if it's sudden and both motors something simple happened. I agree it sounds like fuel ... when you checked the fuel filters, I assume you dumped them out and re-installed them. After you put them back on and ran the electric pumps did they fill back up again? but did the hose after the filters remain dry?

Since you had fuel in the filters, and did not in the hose after the filters I would concentrate on that area. Check to see if the filters filled again after being dumped out and if so is there any fuel leaving the filters? I would replace the filters regardless and check again. Also check to make sure there is no obstruction in the filter base ...... also if you can take a look in the tank by the pickups see what's going on in there.

I had to replace my sender this winter and was able to drain my tank completly through the sender access hole to make sure I was starting out with fresh fuel with my newly rebuilt engine.

Good luck ....I hope you find it quick!
The hose after the filters did remain dry behind the seperators... Would they both fail at the same time like that though?

I think I'm going to make a list of every suggestion made in both of my threads about the problem and go down the line from easiest stuff to check to toughest. LOL.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:35 PM
Back out of the Game!
Gold Member

The hose after the filters did remain dry behind the seperators... Would they both fail at the same time like that though?
If they both sucked up a big slug of water or some other crap in the fuel out of the tank they could. When I dump out a fuel seperator filter I often will dump the fuel into a glass jar and let it sit overnight to see if any water seperates to let me know if I have water in the fuel, even when it is running ok.

I would definitely check the inside of the fuel tank for peace of mind, you should be able to see the pickups where they sit towards the bottom rear of the tank from the sender access. You will also see what junk has settled into the fuel tank bottom over the past 16 years.

Did the prior owner ever have the issue occur?
Old 06-03-2008, 02:26 PM
Registered

Nope, he said he'd never had that problem before... I'm going to pull the bench in the back up and check the pickups. New fuel filters are going in regardless as you'd expect.

We dumped the fuel from the seperator into a plastic jug and let it sit for an hour or so, and there was no water apparent to any of us.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:05 PM
Registered

Do you have only mech pumps or do you have electric feed pumps as well?

If only mech pumps they need to be primed to work - ie they need to be filled with gas and cant suck air.

Prime them and give it one more shot!

Quick Reply: Fueling issue: Need opinions/ideas where to start troubleshooting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.