probably a stupid question!! >

probably a stupid question!!

Notices

probably a stupid question!!

Old 11-25-2008, 03:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default probably a stupid question!!

I've been wondering and figured this was the place to ask....
Are the older 28' Pantera's based on the same or similar bottom as the Apache 28's?
This is probably a loaded question, I know , but I am curious because anytime anybody asks about a great rough water ride (under 30') these two boats come up. I really like the looks of the classic Apache's and the Pantera's and it seems like you could get a nice newer pantera at a reasonable price. I have'nt been out on either and couldn't purchase either now but was curious.
Thanks
Oh and that new 28 is a gorgeous boat!!
Old 11-25-2008, 04:41 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

The only stupid question is the one that's never asked.

I've been out on both. Not the same hull. Wish I new more. The 28 is their own hull design. I think the apache may have been made by blocking off a larger 33ft mold. Not sure about that. They do ride differently. Best I could describe it is that the apache felt like it crushed the water and the pantera felt like it rode on top a little more. I think if I was racing I'd rather be on top.

The pantera has a much lower freeboard. The apache's cabin has much more headroom, which makes it feel a lot more roomier than the pantera. The apache engine bay is a little deeper.......enough to fit twin 850's without scoops. The pantera has a roomier cockpit and a bigger engine hatch. The older pantera's are a little lighter than the apache (around 500lbs). I think the pantera is set up and geared more for the boat racer. The apache is more of a cruiser geared to the family boater. IMO you couldn't go wrong with either choice - whether those differences are good or bad just depends on your preference. I could argue both sides.

The 28 saber is also worth a look. Good luck.

I know there are some video's on youtube of a guy driving his older pantera. I just posted some of my boat running. You may be able to get a good comparison that way.

Last edited by TexomaPowerboater; 11-25-2008 at 04:51 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:11 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pylXltsJJIs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIEOQHESpjU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqroMMrv10A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GEdSDw1xy4

Maybe not a fair comparison, but the best you'll get. Looks like the pantera may have been in a little rougher water and running a little faster. My buddy was standing up with nothing to hold on to in the apache. Most of time they stay standing because the deep freeboard doesn't allow them to see out.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks... seems a little hard to tell from the vids though... they do look like their being bounced more in the pantera But could be speed/water hard to say