Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Pantera (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/pantera-39/)
-   -   Pantera factory fuel tank installation (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/pantera/356022-pantera-factory-fuel-tank-installation.html)

simpson8 08-13-2018 02:38 PM

Pantera factory fuel tank installation

Did Pantera install their fuel tanks with foam between the two bulkheads in the 1980s like other boat manufacturers did? I see the other boat manufactures do this and have no way for water or moisture to drain away from under the fuel tank causing corrosion of the aluminium fuel tank. Rotten front and back bulkheads and also rotted adjacent stringers. The semi closed cell foam used back in the day held water and moisture. Just wondering if Pantera boats have the same problem?

CIG3 08-14-2018 07:38 AM

MY 24 Pantera 1984 had a drain tube between the bulkheads running under the tank.

scarabman 08-14-2018 12:12 PM

Same here, as I recall. I can only speak for my 99 vintage though

OCCJoe 08-14-2018 10:10 PM

So this question triggered me the other day for a couple reasons . First do you have a Pantera that you are thinking about pulling the tank out of and you are just trying to gage how much work you are going to have to do because you don't say . Second theres nothing wrong with foam filling around the gas tank then glassing over the top to totally encapsulate the tank and as CIG3 stated there's a pVc tube glassed under the tank that alloys the front bulkhead to drain to the bilge .
But the end result is if you have the skill set to cut the floor out of the boat and get to the gas tank to remove it then I would think you have enough skill to fix a couple rotted bulkheads or stingers

slpcamaross97 08-15-2018 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by OCCJoe (Post 4643741)
So this question triggered me the other day for a couple reasons . First do you have a Pantera that you are thinking about pulling the tank out of and you are just trying to gage how much work you are going to have to do because you don't say . Second theres nothing wrong with foam filling around the gas tank then glassing over the top to totally encapsulate the tank and as CIG3 stated there's a pVc tube glassed under the tank that alloys the front bulkhead to drain to the bilge .
But the end result is if you have the skill set to cut the floor out of the boat and get to the gas tank to remove it then I would think you have enough skill to fix a couple rotted bulkheads or stingers

Im thinking hes looking at my boat and making sure im not full of BS.

The i had a guy ask me the same question about my boat the other day. Because he looked at a formula boat that fuel tank area was totally sealed off from the rest of the boat and also held in with foam. On the formula he found a bunch of rot and soggy foam.

Aqua Banshee 08-15-2018 10:02 AM

I just finished my 88 28. There is a tube under the tank. I left the tank in when i rebuild the stringers. The side next to the tank was only bad on the top 4". the bottom section was sealed and still solid with a lair of glass between them.

64coupe 08-22-2018 03:32 PM

My 1980 24' SE has foam around the tank between the bulk heads. It also has the tube running down the length of the boat that goes under the tank.

dereknkathy 08-27-2018 05:07 AM

Page 5 of vintage chromemoly's build thread. You need the Google chrome patch to view Photobucket pics.