Notices

Poker run newbie questions

Old 07-04-2005, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poker run newbie questions

You don't know what you don't know- and I don't know much about poker runs- so I've got some humble questions

We (Wife, Tina and 11 yr old son) are going to be on the water this yr for two Poker runs- Grand Lake, Ok in a couple weeks and Destin in late August.

Both are great places to go any time, but we were able to schedule to be there with our 28' Pantera for these weekends.

So...... why would a couple want to participate in the run itself vs just being around and enjoying the show? What exactly trips your trigger to make you want to do it again?

After having my 25' Daytona, the Pantera is more of a family cruiser for me, I don't feel the need to go point to point as fast as possible, I like a good 45-50 mph cruise and much past that get's a little uncomfortable for Tina.

I've made a few passes at the LOTO shootout a few yrs back, and while it was fun, I'd prefer to just spectate next time I go (this yr).

I've raced drag (mud) cars and currently compete rockcrawling, so my motorsports competitve needs are being filled.

Sorry for the long story- just trying to give and get perspective- somebody please educate me and twist my arm
Old 07-04-2005, 01:00 PM
Registered

Default Re: Poker run newbie questions

Originally Posted by Cattitude
You don't know what you don't know- and I don't know much about poker runs- so I've got some humble questions

We (Wife, Tina and 11 yr old son) are going to be on the water this yr for two Poker runs- Grand Lake, Ok in a couple weeks and Destin in late August.

Both are great places to go any time, but we were able to schedule to be there with our 28' Pantera for these weekends.

So...... why would a couple want to participate in the run itself vs just being around and enjoying the show? What exactly trips your trigger to make you want to do it again?

After having my 25' Daytona, the Pantera is more of a family cruiser for me, I don't feel the need to go point to point as fast as possible, I like a good 45-50 mph cruise and much past that get's a little uncomfortable for Tina.

I've made a few passes at the LOTO shootout a few yrs back, and while it was fun, I'd prefer to just spectate next time I go (this yr).

I've raced drag (mud) cars and currently compete rockcrawling, so my motorsports competitve needs are being filled.

Sorry for the long story- just trying to give and get perspective- somebody please educate me and twist my arm
My wife & I feel the same. We now run a centre console & enjoy the 40-50mph deal. Sometimes the crowd can be very clicky as well. I enjoy running with other boats in a laid back type enviroment, some Guys type think it's a race & it can become kinda unsafe at times.
You'll love Destin, the water in that area is awesome.
Old 07-04-2005, 04:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Johno
My wife & I feel the same. We now run a centre console & enjoy the 40-50mph deal. Sometimes the crowd can be very clicky as well. I enjoy running with other boats in a laid back type enviroment, some Guys type think it's a race & it can become kinda unsafe at times.
I know what you mean about the clicky thing- but it kind of goes both ways- I hang with like minded boaters who can handle their vessel and take care of their equipment. The flip side are the guys with pencil fenders, no docking skils, rash all over their boat and don't keep it reliable, generally goofing up a perfectly good lake day.

As for Destin- we lived there for 5 yrs, even raced (GASP) cats with sails

Last edited by Cattitude; 07-04-2005 at 10:26 PM.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Johno

I like running in the 50/55 mph cruise range. Just taking it easy and enjoying the ride. And Johno nailed it with the "clicky crowd" issue. Reminds of high school sometimes. I just laugh at it. I've been to a few boating events where there was more "plastic" than in a Matel toy factory.

Poker Runs for me are more about enjoying a good time with good friends, not being the first one to a card stop. And as with everything, to each his own....
Old 07-05-2005, 05:27 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

I have fun on the poker runs, I dont care about being the first to every stop. My tiger certainly isnt the fastest, but it's VERY reliable. I passed alot of big power sitting in the water broken. When it came tme for dinner after the run, the only person not talking to anyone because he was "too cool" no one wanted to talk to anyhow. Look at it as a time to have fun with your family and teach your son that even though it's not a race, there is competition envolved..ie poker hand
Old 07-05-2005, 06:51 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

I have a question too. If poker runs are not a race, why do people always make a point of saying who got to the stops first? I saw a post were someone was talking about the NYC run saying that the first 10 boats to the first stop were Outerlimits. Not a race?
Old 07-05-2005, 10:05 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Cattitude

I understand your point.
I have run them both ways and it really is fun either way; but being a part of the group and enjoying the other activities as well as supporting the runs so they can continue are some of the reasons I pay for the runs. Then there is always the chance that you will take a check home that more than pays for the entitre trip and the photos; what a great way to get great shots of yor family and your boat. If you mingle a little at the registration/check in parties you will find the wide open guys and also the cruise guys and setup a little gruop that will run the same speeds etc.. and not only have a great time but also make some good friends that enjoy the same sport you do. There is a really a good chance the people you meet and run with at one event will also be at the next and the next for years.
Look forward to seeing you at the Grand Slam Poker Run this year and hope you have a great time.

P.s Looks like I am more long winded than you were.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:59 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a wife and 5 year old son that has been to 7 pcker runs with me. I have two that were not for kids. year before last at ugly johns on grand lake was good but I did not attend the after party. I heard that they have security now that can get out of hand so I won't be taking my family there. Blair nebraska has a good poker run at cottonwood marina that was great till you got back and than it was too many drunks. That is the only poker runs I would not go back to. Poker run magazine has some great runs listed that can make planing easy.
Old 07-06-2005, 12:32 PM
Registered

I understand how you feel about people being kinda clicky, I guess you just have to jump in and introduce yourself. My first year was last year at SOTW. Had a great time, even though I didn't get to meet many fellow OSO'rs. Maybe this year, although I may not even ride this year just enjoy the FUN that it is. If you see a guy with a Mirage shirt or t-shirt on, come up and say hi.
Old 07-06-2005, 04:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dave M
I have a question too. If poker runs are not a race, why do people always make a point of saying who got to the stops first? I saw a post were someone was talking about the NYC run saying that the first 10 boats to the first stop were Outerlimits. Not a race?
Egos.....Bragging rights.....Advertisment....

None of it is good for the sport. It will give people the wrong idea.

Quick Reply: Poker run newbie questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.