Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Poker Runs and Boating Events
Extreme boats magazine Poker Run Article ?!?!? >

Extreme boats magazine Poker Run Article ?!?!?

Notices
View Poll Results: Does the EBM article speak the truth
Yes
40.63%
No
47.66%
No Opinion
11.72%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Extreme boats magazine Poker Run Article ?!?!?

Old 11-28-2005, 02:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Extreme boats magazine Poker Run Article ?!?!?

Originally Posted by boatme
Dan do I get a copy since i am a member ?? or did i have to be at the event ??

if not how much to buy one ??
Marc,
All members of the Chicago Powerboat Club get the season in review DVD. Only participants of the Chicago Poker Run will get that DVD. We are not going to be selling the CPR DVD.
Dan
Old 11-28-2005, 12:21 PM

Here are the NJPPC RULES and They are strictly enforced!
The POKER RUN 10 COMMANDMENTS
(illust.by Powerboat Magazine artist Rick Jimenez)
(1) Absolutely no alcoholic beverages until the Poker Run is OVER.
(2) All participating poker run boat occupants must wear PFD's
(3) Driver must wear ignition safety switch lanyard(s) while the boat is underway
(4) No sitting on top of the seats or on sunpads when the boat is on plane
(5) Break starts up into groups based on speed
(6) Medical/rescue personnel onboard at least one boat in every group
(7) No passing the paceboat
(8) Minimum separation of 100' fore-and-aft and 50' side-to-side between boats when on plane
(9) Written instructions/charts handed out by organizer with appropriate speed limit and safety notations.
(10)Strict speed limits in congested areas.
* Created by NJPPC Member Chuck Sprague
Attached Images  
Old 11-28-2005, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe for the most part it is not the accidents that are promoting the legislation of speed limits. It is the occasional careless operation of a boat in proximity to somebody who is miserable with their life, has a bug up their azz, a lot of time on their hands, a jackazz with a few extra bucks and a lot of political pull.

These folks read the press regarding how other communities are addressing legislation on water ways and all of a sudden it is an arguable local municipality issue on every water way in America. The more that is written, the more exposure, the less the tolerant they will be in the future.

Limiting the accidents is a necessity to limit the press and also the insurance issues. Thinking before throttling, yielding a clear and respectable distance to other crafts and shorelines are also important.

Not all people who have waterfront property are power boaters or even boaters. I was walking down the beach the other night at sunset. A single engine craft was honking along making a moderate drone in the air. One person standing watching the sunset commented, "well, that jackazz certainly ruined the mood".

You can't make everybody happy. Common sense will help but is will not stop the onslaught of continuing legislation for speed and decibel limits.

I even have some issues, for instance: I still can't understand why throwing cigarette butts out of a car is not considered littering.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:46 PM
Registered

My .02

We can always be safer and safety definitely should be addressed, only in a different manner. I do not agree with writing an article like this in a nationally circulated publication. I really think EBM will suffer the consequences of such carelessness. The article should have been written after the summit in a much different tone and with a different choice of words.

Do the people on this thread standing on this so-called poker run race soapbox bs even participate in poker runs? If you don't participate, you should probably stay out of this. After reading some of the posts, I'm guessing only a handful even run the poker runs...

I've run in over 20 poker runs over the years and NEVER seen anyone injured. Do the math guys. That's a chitload of boats and people that survived without injury...

Someone referenced road rage. Doesn't this happen on the highway every single day? Just for the record, I was there and believe that boat was DQ'd from the run. Someone else is referencing racing flag colors. The only flags I have ever seen were used to pace different speed boat groups and the flag matched the color sticker on your damn boat. What's that got to do with anything? Guys are taking things out of context from other websites and that's a shame.

If it is a race, why haven't I won anything yet? I have been the first boat to a lot of card stops??? Half the time, I don't even go to all the stops. I still get to turn my cards in and have the same chance to win as a 160 mph cat. If it is a race, it doesn't seem like a fair one to me...

Just my opinion and we all know what they say about those.

Later,
Dean
Old 11-30-2005, 08:17 AM
RHC
Registered

Angry Re: Extreme boats magazine Poker Run Article ?!?!?

Originally Posted by 388Hustler
My .02

We can always be safer and safety definitely should be addressed, only in a different manner. I do not agree with writing an article like this in a nationally circulated publication. I really think EBM will suffer the consequences of such carelessness. The article should have been written after the summit in a much different tone and with a different choice of words.

Do the people on this thread standing on this so-called poker run race soapbox bs even participate in poker runs? If you don't participate, you should probably stay out of this. After reading some of the posts, I'm guessing only a handful even run the poker runs...

I've run in over 20 poker runs over the years and NEVER seen anyone injured. Do the math guys. That's a chitload of boats and people that survived without injury...

Someone referenced road rage. Doesn't this happen on the highway every single day? Just for the record, I was there and believe that boat was DQ'd from the run. Someone else is referencing racing flag colors. The only flags I have ever seen were used to pace different speed boat groups and the flag matched the color sticker on your damn boat. What's that got to do with anything? Guys are taking things out of context from other websites and that's a shame.

If it is a race, why haven't I won anything yet? I have been the first boat to a lot of card stops??? Half the time, I don't even go to all the stops. I still get to turn my cards in and have the same chance to win as a 160 mph cat. If it is a race, it doesn't seem like a fair one to me...

Just my opinion and we all know what they say about those.

Later,
Dean
Well said Dean,, There is no need for a Meeting in Miami!!

RHC
Old 12-01-2005, 08:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by KLAATU
I just rceived Extreme boats mag- vol 2.6 .I read each article on this subject .

May I suggest you all do the same .

There is nothing wrong with what is being said there.
It is merely a compilation of fact's repeated by the writer.

You all owe Ron P. an apology.
I have read the article as I'm sure the other have. If there is an apology due here it is from Ron, from a very slanted view on poker runs and many untruths. If he has problem with fast boat that aren't on the race circut, which he obviously dues, he should get over it or find a more constructive way of dealing with it.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:32 AM
Registered

Perhaps I too should have been a little more specifc. Ron has taken the worst from a minority of poker runs and portraded them as the norm.
If you look at pg 32, kind of a summary comparison, you can see the tone in which he writes his article. VERY anti-pokerrun.He states reguarding pokerruns.

Winner is first boat to reach card stop. The winner is actually based on the cards they draw, Which can be done at the banquet meaning the winner doesn't even have to go on the run.

Engine and drive modifications encouraged. I have never heard of anyone assoiciated with a run encourageing this. You friends, and engine builders, probably, but not the associtation.

Safety equipment not strictly inforced. Not all poker runs are fast paced, but the ones that are, including all PRA runs they do inforce life jacket rules.

These are just the ones that are undeniable in 90% of the cases. I could makes arguments about the invalidity of many others.
It is really the tone and nature in which he writes this that irritates me. Sure things could be improved in poker runs and racing. I thing we are all for that, and I hope that it does improve. But If you look at the number of runs put on each yr and multiply that by the number of participants and compare that to the numbe of accidents, I think we are doing pretty well and do not deserve this type of stigma.
One of the things I love most about about boating is the freedom we have, I know this will eventually go away as many others have. But I will fight to keep it as long as possible for me and my kids. And if that means calling Ron on this, then so be it.

Last edited by 44MTI; 12-01-2005 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:05 AM
Registered

Well said MM
Old 12-01-2005, 02:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by KLAATU
I live in Key West , which PR is the closest and soonest .
( and one with a hooters close by )
OOPS....you just missed a good one in KW a week ago.....STU runs great event down in FL........here is a link to their club website FLORIDA POWERBOAT CLUB

and you can chat with the member here on OSOS....scroll down to boat club forums and look under FPC. That should hook you up with enough info to get you started. Poker Runs America is another good source outside of the club for Poker Runs in your area.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:48 PM
Registered

You're right. PR are doing well. However, you can't deny that there is room for improvement. 2 deaths this summer at what I perceive to be one of the best Run's is proof that "doing pretty well", is not good enough anymore. The Lawyers and Insurance companies will tell us that VIA Lawsuits and higher insurance if we can't get it figured out on our own.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, the accident at SOTW was a tragedy, I was intimately involved. However, given the nature of what we do, the number of participants and large # of runs ever yr. This was an extremely successful yr. Remember we have many more runs around the country every weekend than there are races.The law of averages tell us that eventually something bad is going to happen, but this is a very good average.
From what I've seen, I think there were fewer accidents and deaths this yr that last, So lets not dwell one incident. The insurance companies will tell us if we are to far out of line in the way of premiums My insurance stated the same as last yr, so assume there payout to premiums are still pretty good.
As stated earlier, I agree that these runs, as well as everything in life can be improved upon. I just disagree with putting half truths and gloom and dome into print. If you have a problem go to the pokerrun organizers, the boat builders the sponsors or someone who can have a positive effect. He could have organized this meeting just as well without printing an article of this nature. As a matter of fact there were several meeting between the insurance carriers and boat builders last yr, without all the negative press.

Quick Reply: Extreme boats magazine Poker Run Article ?!?!?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.