Lake Texoma High Roller Poker Run Labor Day

Old 09-07-2006, 05:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Lake Texoma High Roller Poker Run Labor Day

Originally Posted by HigherPower
Yep Jim,
That`s me and the old Sutphen. I did see a guy taking pictures , but didn`t realize it was you . nice !
We had just taken off and were "racing" my brother-in-law back towards the Willis bridge. I won....
We thought you were in the Poker Run until we ran further west and saw hanging out with another boat. I didn't realize it was you until I snapped then pic and looked up an saw Sutphen. bobl and I sat there Saturday night trying to figure out how to pronounce it the right way! I think Bob did the best at saying it right.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

tee4texas
you must own a sailboat , you havent posted much before so why NOW .
Old 09-07-2006, 08:11 PM
Registered

johnny, I just found this site a few days ago

no, I dont own a sailboat..............but I know a few folks who do.........I can appreciate sailboats but not my style
Old 09-07-2006, 08:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

how did you find it? after u saw it on the cig at texoma.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:55 PM
Registered

no, I believe I just searched for lake texoma accident and this site was listed. I dont believe I ever saw the OSO boat at the poker run but there were a ton of boats out there
Old 09-11-2006, 10:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

EDIT. Got a reply.

Last edited by SeaRay Jim; 09-12-2006 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:17 PM
Registered

***Local News

Speed of boats in deadly crash estimated at 100 mph By SEAN MURPHY
Associated Press
OKLAHOMA CITY — A witness to a boat crash on Lake Texoma that killed five people estimated the two high-performance boats were traveling at close to 100 miles per hour when they collided, an investigator said Tuesday. Oklahoma Highway Patrol Capt. George Green said the boats were headed toward each other when one of the boats, the “Flash Gordon,” made a sudden left turn and was hit in the rear at a 45-degree angle by the second boat, the “Nashville Catz.”

“It pretty much drove right through the ‘Flash Gordon,”’ Green said. “The ‘Flash Gordon’ broke in half.”

Green said both boats were capable of reaching top speeds close to 150 mph.

“These are high-performance machines,” Green said. “The ‘Flash Gordon’ was powered by twin helicopter turbine engines, and the information sheet we have on the ‘Nashville Katz’ shows a potential top speed in the 150 (mph) range.”

The two boats were participating in a “poker run” at Lake Texoma on Sept. 2 when they collided. Participants in the poker run pick up cards at five different locations on the lake. The person with the best poker hand at the end of the event wins. Participants often travel at high speed, but this isn’t required.

The driver of the 36-foot “Flash Gordon,” 61-year-old former professional drag car racer Gordon Mineo of Rockwall, Texas, was killed along with his wife, Ann, 59; and Amy Dawn Lane, 31, and her husband Justin R. Lane, 25, of Little Elm, Texas. Also killed was Myra Gibson, 51, of Old Hickory, Tenn., who was a passenger on the 43-foot “Nashville Catz,” driven by her husband, Bruce Gibson, 54.

Gibson, who survived the crash, remained hospitalized Tuesday in fair condition at a Dallas hospital.

Gibson was interviewed again Friday but remembered little about the crash, Green said.

“This crash would have been literally quicker than the eye,” Green said. “Our investigator who interviewed (Gibson) is confident that he just doesn’t remember anything.”

Green said the “Flash Gordon” already had picked up a card from the Texoma Marina and was heading away from the marina when it was struck by the “Nashville Catz,” which was driving toward the marina.

The “Nashville Catz” was outfitted with a global positioning system, a satellite navigational system that could yield some additional clues about the crash, Green said.

“That’s something we will have to send off to see if they can bring any data out of it for us,” he said.

Although toxicology results on the drivers are pending, Green said investigators don’t believe alcohol played a factor in the crash.

“Both of the operators of these two boats had reputations of being prudent and careful about no drinking in the boats,” Green said. “We did find an ice chest from the ‘Nashville Catz,’ and all it contained was bottled water and diet pop.”

Green said a federal investigator with the U.S. Coast Guard has been brought in to determine if the “Flash Gordon” experienced any mechanical failure that may have led to the sharp turn.

“That may not be possible (to determine),” Green said. “The damage of the ‘Flash Gordon’ is more akin to a small plane crash than a typical boat crash.”
Old 09-26-2006, 10:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Officials may never know cause of fatal boat crash

Clues, survivor can't explain Lake Texoma accident that killed 5

12:47 AM CDT on Tuesday, September 19, 2006

By LAURA SCHREIER / The Dallas Morning News

The investigation into a Labor Day weekend boat crash that killed five people has all but ended without a determination of who or what was to blame, Oklahoma authorities said Monday.

Investigators have looked for clues in salvaged pieces of the two high-performance boats that collided on Lake Texoma, but evidence was inconclusive, said Oklahoma State Highway Patrol Trooper Kera Philippi.

"Investigators may never know if the collision was catastrophic part failure on the vessel or if in fact it was driver error," she said.

Five people died and one was seriously injured in the accident during a high-speed "poker run" Sept. 2. While not technically a race, poker runs often involve boats traveling at high speeds. The crash occurred close to the shore near Willis, Okla., so that state's highway patrol took over the investigation.

Witnesses have said one of the boats, driven by Gordon Mineo of Rockwall, took a sharp left turn into the second boat as the two were crossing paths.

Both drivers were said to be experienced and safety-conscious, making the crash that much more perplexing to family members and friends. Investigators won't speculate on how fast the boats were going.

Trooper Philippi said investigators, including a representative of the Coast Guard, couldn't find any mechanical evidence that might have led to the sudden leftward veer. Authorities were still waiting to hear if examinations of the speedometer or GPS tracker yielded any information about the impact.

Bruce Gibson of Old Hickory, Tenn., the crash's only survivor, was released from Methodist Dallas Medical Center but has no memory of the accident, Trooper Philippi said.