Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Poker Runs and Boating Events (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/poker-runs-boating-events-19/)
-   -   Best way to handle a "staggered start"? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/poker-runs-boating-events/149310-best-way-handle-staggered-start.html)

Cignificant 01-15-2007 04:39 PM

Best way to handle a "staggered start"?

For organizers/participants - what do you feel is the best way to handle a staggered start during a Poker Run?

We're going to have in excess of 100 boats this year, with speeds varying from 45 mph on up, and I feel it's time to use a staggered start to keep things safe. But I'm wondering whether it's better to release "slow" boats first (so everyone arrives at the first stop at about the same time), fast boats first (so they won't have to pass slower boats), smaller boats first (so they don't have to deal with the wakes of larger boats), or just set up a random mix of boats.

Your input would be appreciated.

bcschoe 01-15-2007 05:31 PM

Re: Best way to handle a "staggered start"?

Cig,

It depends. You can get guidance at our BESAFE cite. The link is under my signature. We are advoactes of a Safety Managment System whichs evaluates each event because geopraphy, type of boats, speed of boats etc can be different evetn to event. Generally we want the fast boats out in front and use a single boat start rather than a shotgun start.

Call or email anytime.

SkiDoc 01-16-2007 05:42 AM

Cig,
Have done it both ways in the Lake Cumberland PR. Have had 120-140 boats in this one. Before this year, the slower boats were paced out first and the fastest boats were last. This year, the fastest class was first. Without a doubt the safest way is to let the fastest boats go first. The boats were let go 20 at a time. I admit it was very exciting letting the slow boats out first but it had all the boats bunched up too much for safety. I don't run in the fastest class, but I'm sure they probably had more fun being able to run faster without trying to figure out what lines the slower boats were going to run. Let the fastest go first, definetly the safest, which is the most important factor to be considered. Eric

Cignificant 01-16-2007 09:51 AM

Thanks folks. I appreciate your input.

cigrocket 01-17-2007 10:14 AM

The runs that I have been in seem to work better and are safer that allow the fast boats to go first then the slower ones. If you are worried about riding in left over wakes, stagger the time a little more. There is going to be a line to get your cards regardless, especailly with 75-100 boats. Good luck

mouthpiece 01-22-2007 09:28 AM

In numerous Poker Runs America events over the years, we've tried it all ways. I agree with the consensus, let the fast boats go first, keep the numbers manageable, & they'll all get back together at the card stops, or lunch, whatever.

Sure it's great for the slow guys to get the best seat in the house as the fast guys blow by, but it you can avoid congestion, that is a big safety factor.

Depending on numbers, two or three starts would make it even safer. One year at 1000 Islands, the boats were put in groups, based on size & engines. Boat owners weren't asked, 'cause they can be known to fib a little, on occasion (nudge, nudge). Someone who had a good feel for who went how fast set up the groups, and it worked pretty well.

Toughest thing with grouping guys is that they don't always have the patience to wait for their group. Egos & adrenaline occasionally take over. Despite decisions made is the best interests of all involved, some people have their own agendas.

DaveP 01-22-2007 10:18 AM

NJPPC does it the safest way we believe - is to let the fastest boats go first.

docmanrich37 01-23-2007 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by KYElimEagle (Post 1994843)
Cig,
Have done it both ways in the Lake Cumberland PR. Have had 120-140 boats in this one. Before this year, the slower boats were paced out first and the fastest boats were last. This year, the fastest class was first. Without a doubt the safest way is to let the fastest boats go first. The boats were let go 20 at a time. I admit it was very exciting letting the slow boats out first but it had all the boats bunched up too much for safety. I don't run in the fastest class, but I'm sure they probably had more fun being able to run faster without trying to figure out what lines the slower boats were going to run. Let the fastest go first, definetly the safest, which is the most important factor to be considered. Eric

I agree with the way L.C. did their start.It worked great.

excursion 01-23-2007 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by docmanrich37 (Post 2002404)
I agree with the way L.C. did their start.It worked great.

Oh!!! What do you know anyway:evilb: :evilb: :eek:

Just kidding.........LOL.........:drink: