Notices

2008 ticfaw poker run

Old 01-07-2008, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 273 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by jmeng
The lakes average about 8 - 15 feet. Navigation is easy, only tricky part is the mouth of the Tchefuntce River. Follow the bouy's in and you'll be fine. Weather will be hot and humid, mosquito's will be out after dark. No hotels on the water, you can leave the boat tied up at Charlies overnight though.

lake average 8-15 ft man thats shallow. Not a lot of room for error. How shallow is the river?? What about alligators ?????
Old 01-07-2008, 02:19 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
lake average 8-15 ft man thats shallow. Not a lot of room for error. How shallow is the river?? What about alligators ?????
TP, it's shallow but it's flat all the way across. There's actually a LOT of room for error. Lake Maurepas is 11 miles across and Lake Ponchartrain is 23 miles across. As long as you don't run near the shoreline you're cool. Oh, watch for crab traps. You'll see the small round styrofoam floats that are used to mark the traps.

River depth depends on which tributary you happen to be running in. But all of them are well suited to the type of boats we run. You won't have any issues in the rivers themselves. The part that is crucial is following the channel markers when entering and exiting. Tchefuncte River is the most dangerous but any of them (Amite, Blind, Tickfaw) will bite you if you don't pay attention. No worse than any other waterway, though.

Gators? Sure, there are gators in all of these rivers but it's not like they are lying on the bank waiting to snag the next available human. They are pretty obscure during the day. If you want to look for them after dark they are easy to spot with a good light.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:36 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hell the average depth of clear lake is only 6 feet.

I have never hit the bottom of lake ponchartrain in all my years living there.

Like it has been said follow the markers in and out of the rivers and watch for crab traps and you will be fine.

If you were on the north side off the lake then you will have to watch for man made reefs but those are also marked.

Also if in the lake at night there are alot of unmarked and unlighted poles.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:05 PM
Registered

How much does your boat draft? You bringing a sailboat? Like Croozen said, the only thing you have to worry about hitting in the lakes are crab traps. Keep a sharp lookout, especially if its choppy, and you'll be fine. Unless you get drunk and miss a turn (ala the 38 cig 2 years ago) you don't have to worry about the river either. The docks at some of the bars are a little on the shallow side. Not a bad idea to leave the expensive labbed props at home.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:23 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Naw there all just baby's at Tick FawThis is a little video of my buddy T-Boy at the Prop Stop 04 pokererun
Attached Thumbnails 2008 ticfaw poker run-dsc01508.jpg   2008 ticfaw poker run-dsc01511.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: mpg
MOV01422.MPG (3.61 MB, 22 views)

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:31 PM
Rob
VIP Member

view
Attached Thumbnails 2008 ticfaw poker run-tick-faw10.jpg   2008 ticfaw poker run-p6171217.jpg   2008 ticfaw poker run-tick-faw.jpg  

Old 01-07-2008, 10:39 PM
Rob
VIP Member

I hate all the crab pots ,I'm sure I"ve ran over a few of those floaties thats attached to them.I have never even scratched a prop there , knock on wood

Especially watch out for the can poles or PVC sticking out of the water when ya pass by it at 100 or so
Attached Thumbnails 2008 ticfaw poker run-tick-faw_09.jpg   2008 ticfaw poker run-tickfaw-5-28-2007-003-medium-.jpg   2008 ticfaw poker run-strip-poker-3880001-large-large-large-.jpeg  

Old 01-08-2008, 10:52 AM
Registered

Hopefully I can make a run or two this year. Its been three years since we`ve been on the river. Never use Womacks head and block shop in Denham Springs, I blew a head gasket at emerald coast in 2004 and brought my motor to them and after a year of having it he informed me they LOST my motor! he built my port engine in 2003 and every thing was great. Now I cant even get them on the phone. He told me it was ready a month ago so I brought the boat to Jim Templet so he could put it in. Now he tells me he cant find my heads!! Oh well, things have got to get better.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by johnny g
Hopefully I can make a run or two this year. Its been three years since we`ve been on the river. Never use Womacks head and block shop in Denham Springs, I blew a head gasket at emerald coast in 2004 and brought my motor to them and after a year of having it he informed me they LOST my motor! he built my port engine in 2003 and every thing was great. Now I cant even get them on the phone. He told me it was ready a month ago so I brought the boat to Jim Templet so he could put it in. Now he tells me he cant find my heads!! Oh well, things have got to get better.
I use Remi (Womack's) for all of my shop work but my engines for my rig go to Diamond Engines in Hammond (Don Pellichino). I've never had any issues with Remi's work but I know people that have. I feel for ya though. Hope you get things straight before it gets warm again (like today!).
Old 01-08-2008, 12:17 PM
Registered

I cant wait to get back on the water, seems like theres alot of new boats and people since I`ve been around. My wife and I have a lot on diversion, we`re hoping to start building by late summer. These warm days are kicking my azz!

Quick Reply: 2008 ticfaw poker run

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.