Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Poker Runs and Boating Events (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/poker-runs-boating-events-19/)
-   -   How big and fast? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/poker-runs-boating-events/198897-how-big-fast.html)

89Mach1 11-15-2008 03:53 PM

How big and fast?

How big and fast of a boat do you have to have to run in a say average size poker run? I've never done one and would like to do a few next season but not sure if I'll be able to keep up. What's a normal cruise speed or is it just plain balls to the wall WFO the whole time? Thanks everyone!

Perlmudder 11-15-2008 04:06 PM

depends on the poker run, im sure some are more serious then others. we do one from a local boating club each year but its only about 25 or so miles and we usually cruise between 30-40 mph. they usually have a couple different classes depending on boat speed. im sure lots of other will chime in here soon!

89Mach1 11-15-2008 04:10 PM

That's not too bad, 30-40. I'm 24' and run mid 60's, so I just wasn't sure if I would keep up or not. I'm not looking to run in any of the big ones, but thought it would be fun to do a few. Thanks

Perlmudder 11-15-2008 04:22 PM

we only run 55 in PERFECT conditions.

Perlmudder 11-15-2008 04:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
but sometimes she flys in big waves!

t500hps 11-15-2008 08:40 PM

each run is different. Ours is 90 miles each way and has had around 100 boats the last couple years. There are some 100+ mph boats that hammer down, but most of us run at our cruise speeds. We've had 21 ft open bow boats do the run and some old school bots that might hit 60 on a good day. 2 years ago when the flag dropped I was 1/4 mile behind the start and in the water swimming cause it was so hot....probably left the start 10 minutes after the flag dropped.
Find some runs you'd like to do and ask around.......very few people will mis-lead you about the conditions of a each poker run.

apautobilly 11-17-2008 08:19 PM

central ny is a great place to poker run, oneida lake has several every season most cruise at 55. We do most every run around i try to cruise at 85. Ropa has several fun runs also with many mixed boats and speeds.
If you run any of the PRA runs you must be bigger than 32 feet.

formula 382 sr-1 11-17-2008 08:36 PM

We had a 22 Donzi run with us out in the Lower Chesapeake Bay . I know he did not go but so fast and he made all the stops .:drink:

Sydwayz 11-18-2008 07:16 AM

Depends.

You have "big dick" poker runs.
And you have "blue collar" poker runs.

And then you have some that are somewhere in the middle. In the "big dick" poker runs, you will probably feel uncomfortable with your boat.

Do a little research on the run; folks here and other places can give you a recommendation. Also, talk to the organizer. A respected organizer is not going to push you into his/her event if you are not right for it.

seafordguy 11-18-2008 08:14 AM

The couple that I have done always have a couple guys who run HARD because that is what they enjoy.

Then there is a group of mid-packers that run slightly faster than cruise.

Then there are guys like myself who run conservatively so as not to break anything.

There are always some 24, 26 footers that participate and the run was through the Chesapeake Bay, (which gets quite rough) and into the Ocean. You'll have a blast no matter how big or small, fast or slow you run. I can honestly say I believe I finished dead last in the last one I did with about 50 other boats and I had a great time...