Northern Michigan Poker Run? >

Northern Michigan Poker Run?

Notices

Northern Michigan Poker Run?

Old 11-23-2010, 02:10 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Northern Michigan Poker Run?

I'd like to see what kind of input I can get about poker runs. I've never participated in one and would like to see what all is involved in starting one. My lake (Portage Lake) in Onekama Michigan I think would be a great place to stage an event. I think the community as well as the surrounding harbors would welcome such an event. I would like to organize something small for next summer and see where it goes. Any input on this is would be great!
Old 11-23-2010, 06:21 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would be interested, always fun to do a run semi-locally. I did a few last year, and could tell you what I liked and disliked about each. As far as the setting up thing, I dont know a whole lot, other than that insurance and liability are a big hurdle, and they are a lot of work(have questioned some of the guys putting on others). We(some friends and I) have discussed putting one on here, and would like to learn the ins and outs too. Where is Portage Lake, sounds familiar but cant quite place it?
Old 11-24-2010, 12:25 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Did a bunch of work up there for Onekema schools a couple of years ago. VERY nice people.
By chance, do you know Lawrence Rockavena? Correct me if the spelling on the last name is wrong...
Old 11-24-2010, 02:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hotjava66
I would be interested, always fun to do a run semi-locally. I did a few last year, and could tell you what I liked and disliked about each. As far as the setting up thing, I dont know a whole lot, other than that insurance and liability are a big hurdle, and they are a lot of work(have questioned some of the guys putting on others). We(some friends and I) have discussed putting one on here, and would like to learn the ins and outs too. Where is Portage Lake, sounds familiar but cant quite place it?
Portage Lake is in Onekama. About 20-25 minutes north of Manistee. I believe there is a Portage Lake in the UP by Houghton, but I cannot remember to be honest.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:04 AM
Registered

Received 277 Likes on 96 Posts

Portage Lake is going to be on the small side for a poker run. There are some great ones you could particpate in. Traverse City has the TC Bay Blast and Boyne has Boyne Thunder. Both have websites you can check out.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:04 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Unless things have changed in the past few years I remember not being able to find an adequate launching ramp to accomodate launching my 32' AT when I was there a few years ago.

It looked as if the local marina was the only way to launch a boat beyond 25' or longer---and that's with their TRAVEL-LIFT!!!! I remember driving around that whole lake looking for a place to launch my boat but could not find anything adequate, but Portage Lake sure is a very beautiful and quiet lake up there.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:10 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KAAMA
but Portage Lake sure is a very beautiful and quiet lake up there.
Hmmmm. Poker Run------quiet lake. Is it me or do I sense a conflict here? Keep in mind that the Michigan DNR inland lake speed limit of 55 mph. Unless the local government has their own ordinance with further speed limitations.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by ROTAX454
Hmmmm. Poker Run------quiet lake. Is it me or do I sense a conflict here? Keep in mind that the Michigan DNR inland lake speed limit of 55 mph. Unless the local government has their own ordinance with further speed limitations.
I don't think holding a poker run on Portage Lake would be much of a poker run.... I'm thinking about using portage point inn as the marina/meeting point and the actual run in Lake Michigan which Portage is connected to. Say Onekama to Manistee/ Frankfort. The owner of Portage Point Inn is interested.... I'm trying to see if there is any interest to do something small this year with some local OSO members. Then work out the kinks and then do something bigger if everyone envolved has a good time. Where are you from?

As far as launching, there is a guy that launches his Baja 33 SST from the village ramp but I think the actual dock is to short, I struggle with it with my Formula 242. Manistee has much better launching and is only about 10-15 ride up the coast to get into portage but I understand that is not convienent. I need to go to the village and see if I can convince them to lengthen the dock.

Anyway this is the kind of input I'm looking for so I can approach the village to make the lake more acessable.

Last edited by endeavour32; 01-10-2011 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the biggest downfalls that I see is that Lk. Michigan is so unpredictable. You can start the day off in less than 2 footers and be heading home in 6'+ waves.

I think it would be a lot of fun if everything worked out, though.