Greenwood Lake Spring Nationals - West Milford, NJ 5/19-20 >

Greenwood Lake Spring Nationals - West Milford, NJ 5/19-20

Notices

Greenwood Lake Spring Nationals - West Milford, NJ 5/19-20

Old 03-02-2012, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greenwood Lake Spring Nationals - West Milford, NJ 5/19-20

This is happening again this year, I got the announcement a few weeks ago and wanted to be sure the dates were locked in before I posted. Pretty much the same deal as when I posted last year. I am local and would be happy to help any of you who are coming up any way I can. We are only a few hundred feet from the lake and have room to store a few boats but unfortunately its a small house and we really don't have much room to put anyone up for the night. However, there is a B&B right down the road that also has a ramp and docks. The races happen on the NJ (i.e. Southern) end of the lake and the pits/race boat launch are at Brown's Point State Park.

Greenwood Lake Powerboat Race May 19-20, 2012 Greenwood Lake- Brown's Point State Park West Milford, NJ

The most effective way I've found to keep up with what is going on is to join their Facebook Page(s):

https://www.facebook.com/groups/182506445105189/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Green...57712540954484

I'm planning on doing one day of watching from the boat and partying with the grown ups and then one day in the pits with the kids. Again, if there's anything I can do for any of the members here who want to attend just give me a shout.

John
Old 03-02-2012, 07:25 PM
Registered

What type of law enforcement/harassment situation exists at greenwood? Noise ordinances? Speed limit? thanks
Old 03-02-2012, 08:45 PM
Registered

I've been on this lake since I was 2 months old (so it'll be 40 years this summer). It has been my experience that the cops around here are pretty lenient and return the respect you give to them. Some other guys on the boat sites have differing opinions but I have done some things that I should have been stopped for and ran around with an open exhaust on a small block Chevy powered boat (albeit a wet exhaust) for a few years without any hassles. One village cop was next to me when I was leaving the beach one day and he asked me if I was straight piped, I was honest and said I was, he said watch out because the DEC guys were giving warning and/or tickets but that he wasn't going to break balls. On my "new" boat I have an exhaust through the mid and used it all last season without incident. If I am running fast and see a boat that looks like a possible police boat from far away I show them the respect of reigning it in. The speed limit is 45 mph on the lake and as far as noise the NY and NJ laws apply (no straight through exhaust above the water) but again I've never been stopped. The last year or two the police presence on non-race and non-holiday weekends has been way down because of budget cuts. You could see the lessened presence on the lake and the village cops that I am friendly with told me the same. When the economy was good we had GWL village, Orange County Sheriffs, NY DEC, U.S.C.G., Passaic County Sheriffs, and NJ Staties all patrolling 8 miles of lake. Oh, and the USCG Auxiliary too. Since the economy tanked its been pretty much the GWL cops with an occasional visit from Passaic and the NY DEC. Last year was the first time in over 10 years they have had the races, the weather wasn't cooperating, and the NJ end had the sheriffs and USCGA keeping everyone back from the race area but I didn't even see the GWL cops at all. My friend in his Scarab 1 and I ran the lake end to end leaving the races on Saturday and no one said boo.

Long story short, be cool, don't do dumb sh1t, and respect the authorities and you'll probably be fine. If you show off in front of them or run up and down the lake 10 times in a row they might stop you. Personally, I stay out of the NJ end most of the time because its shallow and has certain areas that are dangerous but the NY end is fine and the cops there never bug me. I don't even know if the GWL police (NY) were even on the lake that weekend as the entire thing went down on the NJ side.

John