Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Poker Runs and Boating Events
Smith Mountain Lake Poker Run May 15-16 2015 >

Smith Mountain Lake Poker Run May 15-16 2015

Notices

Smith Mountain Lake Poker Run May 15-16 2015

Old 01-18-2015, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I need to sign up. Where do the majority of people put their boats in at?
Old 01-18-2015, 10:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CBlakeNS
I need to sign up. Where do the majority of people put their boats in at?
From what I have been told is mariners landing
Old 01-19-2015, 01:27 PM
Are we having fun, yet?
Charter Member

The ramp at Mariners is fine, if the lake level is not too low. Larger boats with steps may have trouble. There is a very nice ramp at the state park! It is maybe four miles away.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:00 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 515 Posts

^^^^ is right on.

They have two ramps at Mariner's Landing:

One is an old road that went across what is now the cove that Mariner's is on. It's very shallow; long but shallow. You will definitely have the back wheels of your truck wet when launching, and maybe even the fronts; but no one has ever gotten stuck as it's all ribbed concrete. It has about as much slope as your garage floor. We've launched MTIs there & straight bottom boats should have no problem. Top Guns and 37 ATs have launched there as well, but the truck has to get pretty far in the water; as step bottom boats may have trouble floating high enough to get off their bunks unless way down the ramp.

The other ramp is a bit tricky to get to, and it's very, VERY steep. You have to back up to it for about 1/8 mile. I've launched my 37AT there a few times. I ensure a driver always stays in the truck with foot on the brakes. I've never had a problem using it though.

The State Park is ramp perfect, albeit a little tight for turns. You may have to make a 3 point turn to back down the ramp with a boat over 35 feet and pending your truck's turning radius. I now use the State Park Ramp.

Late in the summer, the lake level can get low in a dry year, but it's NEVER a problem in the spring with the winter melt off.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 01-19-2015 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:26 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info on the ramps. Do need a deep ramp to unload one boat that is coming to the poker run. Its a little on the heavy side and 35' long. Can you leave your truck and trailer over night at the state park or is there enough room at Mariners landing for parking?
Old 01-19-2015, 03:48 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Keeneracing
Thanks for the info on the ramps. Do need a deep ramp to unload one boat that is coming to the poker run. Its a little on the heavy side and 35' long. Can you leave your truck and trailer over night at the state park or is there enough room at Mariners landing for parking?
Either is fine.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mailed in two registrations today for this run. We stay at Mariners Landing and put boats in there too. Plenty of truck and trailer parking on site. Always a good time at this run.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:32 AM
Registered

Planning on staying at mariners landing also. When does SMLBA release the agenda for the run? Meaning where all the stops will be?
Old 01-20-2015, 10:02 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Keeneracing
Planning on staying at mariners landing also. When does SMLBA release the agenda for the run? Meaning where all the stops will be?
Day of, usually.

It's a shotgun start. Last year, Bayrock was not a stop (all the way up north) which I actually kind of missed. It's a long trip; and we jokingly call it "the road course" as it's full of narrow spots and tight turns; and literally goats are on the mountain looking down at you at points--damn near feels like you go all the way to WV.

Hopefully that stop is back this year.

Also, not mandatory to make each stop. You can pull your cards at the end of the day if you miss one/any.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 01-20-2015 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:19 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We have several boats / teams from Va Beach going this year!

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.