Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Poker Runs and Boating Events
Thinking of starting a raritan river fun run,.to raise money for cancer research >

Thinking of starting a raritan river fun run,.to raise money for cancer research

Notices

Thinking of starting a raritan river fun run,.to raise money for cancer research

Old 10-08-2016, 03:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of starting a raritan river fun run,.to raise money for cancer research

I recently attended a boat run,(my first one ever).an I did not feel very welcomed an the guys were not to friendly,..I recently lost my grandfather to liver cancer an he loved everything about race boats,race cars,hot rods,.any pretty much just bad ass ness lol..so i was thinking I should start my very own poker run or race,in his honor,.i have a great marina,restaurant that is willing to participate,I have the whole winter to plan,so what do you guys think?..I was thinking of holding the run from basically south amboy NJ,to Coney Island Bk,an back.an than have a big party/fundraiser in this great restaurant/marina called south shoe grille,.what do you guys think,this can be a great run considering it is placed perfectly to cater to south jersey,Long Island,staten island,Brooklyn,Maryland power boat enthusiasts,.i am a fairly young guy with very much capacity to make this a great run an raise huge prizes,..come on guys let's make this happen in honor of my pop John Martinelli a man who jobbed over 10k men through his lifetime an was a loving generous man who gave all to his family,.an this is something I need to do,an make it go on forever every single year...please guys let's hear some feed back
Old 10-08-2016, 03:45 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Good luck! Definitely a worthy cause. Are you from South Amboy? I grew up in Sayreville, moved away from there back in the 80's.
Old 10-08-2016, 05:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dave M
Good luck! Definitely a worthy cause. Are you from South Amboy? I grew up in Sayreville, moved away from there back in the 80's.
No I'm actually from Staten Island NY,but I can literally throw a rock to Sayreville/south amboy,.but yea I think it can be a lot of fun,I have a big family an can get Lot of sponsors together for the event for prizes an give aways an raffles an what not,.an it's a great area for this kind of run.
Old 10-09-2016, 12:50 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

To do it as an "official" type of event, you will most likely need to form an LLC and get insurance for the run.
Old 10-09-2016, 10:00 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I would probably hire a Lawyer as well and look at lawsuit protection not saying this as a smart azz but if something was ever to happened at your event even as minor as a slip and fall, watch out.. This year seems that 1 out 2 of all events had something major happen. Just saying. All it takes is one good chase the money Lawyer and your done completely wrecked.
Old 10-09-2016, 10:08 AM
Registered

[QUOTE=BUP;4489860]I would probably hire a Lawyer as well and look at lawsuit protection not saying this as a smart azz but if something was ever to happened at your event even as minor as a slip and fall, watch out.. This year seems that 1 out 2 of all events had something major happen. Just saying. All it takes is one good chase the money Lawyer and your

The marina,or restaurant would obviously be insured,an than anything that happened on the water would be covered by your boat insurance,.it would be considered a fun run??
Old 10-09-2016, 10:20 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

[QUOTE=Younggun253;4489865]
Originally Posted by BUP
I would probably hire a Lawyer as well and look at lawsuit protection not saying this as a smart azz but if something was ever to happened at your event even as minor as a slip and fall, watch out.. This year seems that 1 out 2 of all events had something major happen. Just saying. All it takes is one good chase the money Lawyer and your

The marina,or restaurant would obviously be insured,an than anything that happened on the water would be covered by your boat insurance,.it would be considered a fun run??
If your putting it together, organizing it, setting it up for some one or some thing to benefit, you have put your head in the noose. You need to make sure the tree isn't high enough to hang yourself.
Old 10-10-2016, 07:51 AM
Registered

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts

I am assuming in your 1st post you are referring to South Shore B&G in SI? All other logistics aside, I think the biggest issue with your intended water route is, the water itself. Raritan Bay and out to Coney Island can be very unpredictable and unforgiving at times, as you probably know. You might be better off with an around SI route, or something along those lines. Just a thought.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by scarabman
I am assuming in your 1st post you are referring to South Shore B&G in SI? All other logistics aside, I think the biggest issue with your intended water route is, the water itself. Raritan Bay and out to Coney Island can be very unpredictable and unforgiving at times, as you probably know. You might be better off with an around SI route, or something along those lines. Just a thought.
Yes I was thinking that as well,also have some other ideas I think will work,but I gladly appreciate any help or info anyone has or has givin already,I'm just trying to see if anyone has interest,if you would like to maybe help me at all if your from the area,that would be greatly appreciated,.an I hope anyone don't think I'm coming off like a know it all or anything I'm just asking questions an feeling out what guys think would work or not,I was thinking of something like the Hudson River run,not something official I guess,.but just getting some local shops an sponsors an what not to maybe donate some prizes an stuff,.an than hand around a donation basket,maybe have some bikini girls,helping around the docks,.just trying to create a great time for everybody an meet some other good people who share love for the same things I do
Old 10-11-2016, 11:47 PM
Registered

i want to clear something up in my opening post I may have made it sound like the guys from the run I attended were bad guys,that is not what I meant an I should of re read my post better an realized how it sounded,I was pulled over three times in the town it was held in,.an a couple guys said some not so cool things I over heard,an I have a couple other reasons ide rather not discuss,.but the entire run was great the guys who organized it were more than great an the photographer an helicopter were literally amazing,.i really hope I did not tarnish my name or character by the way I worded my opening state an I am truly sorry if anyone was affended at all by what I said,.and I was 100% wrong for making it sound the way I did,.i hope all can be forgiving an I hope I can earn these guys trust back an occupancy these men again in any other event we may attend,.thankyou again guys,.an again I'm sorry 😔

Last edited by Younggun253; 10-11-2016 at 11:56 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.