Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Poker Runs and Boating Events
27th Rochester Offshore Battleship Run - Seneca Lake, NY - July 14-16, 2017 >

27th Rochester Offshore Battleship Run - Seneca Lake, NY - July 14-16, 2017

Notices

27th Rochester Offshore Battleship Run - Seneca Lake, NY - July 14-16, 2017

Old 07-21-2017, 04:11 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Very well stated, Bill. When the 1,000 Island run was announced I was excited about a new run in a location I had never boated in. Then I realized there was a conflict. Too bad like you said....we all lose.

Padraig
Old 07-22-2017, 07:17 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WHIPLASH
Back in the winter when they announced the Clayton run as the same weekend as ROPA's our PR director messaged them that we are always the 3rd Sat.(next year will be our 28th year) in July, which next year is the 21st. So it really is on them.
Not trying to be nasty but IMO it is a very narrow view that the it won't hurt the Clayton run, ignoring the charitable benefits of the 27 years Battleship Run.. As both runs do this solely for charity and charities will benefit, possibly some a little less, it is all good for the runs. However what it hurts is the people (participants) who are forced to make a choice instead of reaping the benefits of being able to participate in 2 quality, and fun, events. Very much the same as when PRA moved the 1000 Islands Run to the same weekend as the Buffalo Poker Run.
We lost, and probably will continue to lose out, on some friends who moved on and we (me included) lose out on attending a new event in another great venue and making new friends as the conflict prevents this.
I am not worried about the success of #'s in either event, as both will be great, but as summer is so short in New York, it is a shame we cannot do both.
well I agree it would be nice to have only one poker run planned a weekend for the entire summer but I don't think that is feasable. There are many every summer, then add into the mix that certain venues only have availability on certain weekends. To fault an organization for putting a charity run together and the best (maybe only) available date happens to be the same date as yours seems rather inappropriate. If you put a great run together they will come. Clayton put a great run together and people will return. I would love to be at two different events at the same time but that is not possible. So I, as we all can, make our choice which to attend. We have to think of the events as being successful as a whole and not just worry about only pleasing those that might attend both. If the date chosen is the best and possibly the only one available, why criticize the organizers of either one? I guess I'm saying just because you "have owned the 3rd saturday of June" every year doesn't mean someone that can and wants to put on a great event and that date is the only feasible one shouldn't. Criticizing the organizers of the Clayton run is not appropriate as they did a fantastic job and raised a great deal of money. And it was their first time. Impressive if you ask me.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Padraig
Very well stated, Bill. When the 1,000 Island run was announced I was excited about a new run in a location I had never boated in. Then I realized there was a conflict. Too bad like you said....we all lose.

Padraig
You do realize there has been 2 poker runs in the 1000 islands every summer for years? Seems like you had many other opportunities to run in a location you never boated before (1000 islands), but passed on them. What would have been special about the Clayton run to get you up there but not the Kingston or Alex bay one? They have been accessible to you for many yesrs.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

I'd like to suggest that we all stop worrying about "other runs" and enjoy which ever run(s) we like as individuals. ROPA has put on a very nice, well organized and low key event for 27 years now and I think that's a huge reason why certain people come to the run year after year - or even for the first time. One of the great things about this country is our right to choose certain things all by ourselves. I happen to like the Battleship Run because it's one of the few runs where a 22' boat that runs a little under 80 MPH can feel very comfortable. And I will most certainly be back once again next year. If folks want to attend a different run for various reasons, that's their right.

BTW, I have a Battleship Run summary almost finished (been waaay too busy at work) and will post it up here shortly.

Tom
Old 07-22-2017, 08:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by EvilTwin
You do realize there has been 2 poker runs in the 1000 islands every summer for years? Seems like you had many other opportunities to run in a location you never boated before (1000 islands), but passed on them. What would have been special about the Clayton run to get you up there but not the Kingston or Alex bay one? They have been accessible to you for many yesrs.
Maybe because I was doing the Buffalo Run. Why the big chip on your shoulder? I know it is tough arranging dates and venues, all the same it is too bad there is a conflict. I have no hard feelings. However if nothing is said it is likely that nothing will ever change. I have been doing Poker Runs since1998 hopefully I will continue to do them for many more years and hopefully the 1,000 Island run will be one of them.

I also hope to meet you sometime and have a beer and share Poker Run stories.

Padraig
Old 07-22-2017, 08:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
I'd like to suggest that we all stop worrying about "other runs" and enjoy which ever run(s) we like as individuals. ROPA has put on a very nice, well organized and low key event for 27 years now and I think that's a huge reason why certain people come to the run year after year - or even for the first time. One of the great things about this country is our right to choose certain things all by ourselves. I happen to like the Battleship Run because it's one of the few runs where a 22' boat that runs a little under 80 MPH can feel very comfortable. And I will most certainly be back once again next year. If folks want to attend a different run for various reasons, that's their right.

BTW, I have a Battleship Run summary almost finished (been waaay too busy at work) and will post it up here shortly.

Tom
exactly. Be thankful that others are willing to put on another great run even if it is on the same date so they can have a choice. One may cater to a different group than the other. Don't criticize anyone over promoting another great event on "your date "
Old 07-23-2017, 02:09 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Well, I finally got home and put everything away after another wonderful weekend on Seneca Lake in upstate New York. I attended the 27th running of the Rochester Offshore Powerboat Association's Battleship Run with my fiancé Stella. (ROPA does a few things differently than most Poker Runs, hence the slightly different name.) A total of 41 boats ran approximately 65 miles on beautiful water and burned more than a few gallons of refined dinosaur remains. And, since I run a 2.5 liter lawn care device on the transom of my boat, we killed more than a few mosquitos along the way at no extra charge.

Although ROPA does a few things differently than other Poker Runs, one thing they never fail at is running a safe, enjoyable day on a wonderful lake with some of the nicest people you'll ever want to meet. And I'm not talking just the people you'll meet in the boats at the run. The local population seems to love the run as much as the participants do. I can't tell you how many people came up to me at various times before, during and after the run and expressed just how much they enjoy the folks from ROPA coming down every year. Did you ever have somebody tell you to open up your Silent Choice exhaust so they could hear the un-muffled sound? It happens every year here. I just can't tell you how friendly everybody was. Even the local Law Enforcement officers waved to everyone as we went by. I guess if you want a sausage fest, you probably want to attend a different run.

One of the things ROPA insists on is a very simple set of basic rules as clearly articulated by ROPA President Bill Krystan at the Driver's Meeting. Among the most important are: 1) It's not a race, 2) No passing the Pace Boat(s), 3) PFD's to be worn by everyone when a boat is on plane, 4) No alcohol or drug consumption by anyone on any boat during the run. These rules may seem pretty basic, but they're the keys to a successful event. Failure to comply with any or all of these rules will get you kicked out here.

ROPA runs three separate pace groups to keep everybody happy. The "fast" pace group runs approximately 100 MPH. This of course assumes that Pete Bogino remembers to put the correct bolt in the harmonic balancer on the port engine in his Skater - which he apparently did not. This quickly led to an interesting collection of loose parts in the bilge and thus prevented Pete from making the jump to hyper space. Pete's only comment was "I think I know where that left over bolt on my bench goes now."

The "medium" pace group was paced by Andy Flanagan in his 29' Velocity from Colorado and the plan was to run 65 MPH. That was the plan at least. They ended up running closer to 75 MPH and a few boats elected to defect to the slower group to find a more relaxed pace. The word "wimp" was apparently used several times when describing these folks, but what the heck, this group looked great going by.

I had the honor (and pleasure) of once again pacing the "slow" (and as usual - the biggest) fleet in my 22' Progression. More than a few people suppressed a giggle when I told them what would be pacing the fleet. When we voted to run at the upper end of the recommended 45-55 MPH speed band, there were more snickers about my ability to maintain that speed in one to twos. I had to clarify that we would be running 55 MPH on GPS - which equates to approximately 80 MPH on most Checkmate speedometers. The snickers stopped when - as promised - I stepped up the pace to 75 or so each time we passed the photo boat and I walked away from most of the fleet. Yes, I know the cowling on my Mercury outboard says only 200 HP. And since this is the internet, it must be true, right?

After three legs running the entire length - plus some - of Seneca Lake, the fleet came into beautiful Watkins Glen for lunch. If you think docking 41 boats at docks normally used and reserved for sail boats would be a challenge, you'd be wrong. The fine folks from The Village Marina were out on the docks cheerfully directing the fleet in and they did an absolutely wonderful job of it. Most of the fleet gave a textbook demonstration of how to dock a boat. Rumor has it that at least one participating crew member gave a textbook example of why you don't leave your feet (in high heels) on the dock with your hands on the bow rail while the boat pulls away though. (There's gotta be footage on YouTube given all of the locals watching and taking pictures!)

After a leisurely lunch, it was time for a non-paced trip back for one last card stop before a few unofficial "just showing off" passes in front of the host Showboat Hotel and the Rainbow Cove Hotel just down the road. It was here that Larry Webster pulled off a personal best 97.7 MPH run in his 24' Progression with a Saris Racing motor under the hatch. Lots of other folks used this final leg to do a little sight seeing on this beautiful glacier formed lake and were not disappointed.

After an awesome dinner of chicken, pulled pork, corn on the cob, salads, shrimp, and a few other things I can't remember because I ate too much, President Bill took the stage for prizes and awards. There was some really neat stuff on the prize table this year in including not one, but two GoPro cameras, inflatable PFD's, complete tool sets, Gift Cards to all sorts of neat places as well as a full selection of great shirts. The top prize of $1,500 went to Vance Hagen and his nattily attired Team Mean Streak. More importantly though, almost $3,000 was given to Mercy Flight Central of Western New York. ROPA has donated to these fine folks for many, many years and although we've never needed their services, it's great to know that they'll still be there for us.

And so, yet another Battleship Run is now in the books and many folks are already looking forward to next year. (That's partially because with this run, if you want a hotel room, you have to reserve a year in advance!) If you want to mark your calendar and make your reservations now, the 28th annual Battleship Run will be Saturday - July 21, 2018. See you there!

Tom
Old 07-23-2017, 03:27 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well put. Thanks again, favorite run of the year every year
Old 07-23-2017, 03:41 PM
Registered

Great recap, Tom

We had a great time, as usual! This was our first time in the "slow" group. Darlene had injured her leg a month or so ago and we felt it would be best to take it easy. I must say in all the runs I have done, Tom did the best job of pace boat driver. Very consistent and predictable. Only problem we would sometimes lose sight of him when another boat blocked the view of that sweet running Progression riding easily on the pad.

Thanks to all the good folks who work so hard to make this run safe and enjoyable.

Padraig
Old 07-23-2017, 06:25 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom - That was a great write-up/review, thanks. It's always a well organized and fun time. After Pete's trouble with his 36 Skater, there was little company left in the 100 MPH group, so my brother and I decided to run his 30 Skater with the middle group. Just a little bit slower, but still loads of fun! Can't wait until next year!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.