Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Poker Runs and Boating Events
Rochester Offshore Battleship Run July 18, 2020 >

Rochester Offshore Battleship Run July 18, 2020

Notices

Rochester Offshore Battleship Run July 18, 2020

Old 07-22-2020, 05:19 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Tom, Matt does do a good job but you were there,. We need your report! Besides....your report is tradition!

Padraig
Old 07-28-2020, 05:19 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

As you’ve probably noticed, races, Poker Runs and other events for high performance boats are getting cancelled or postponed left and right due to COVID-19. And I can’t say this isn’t a totally bad thing. It’s hard enough running a big event, but throw in all of the precautions, permits, regulations, and government agencies involved and an already daunting task starts to look all but impossible.

That’s what makes the fact that the Rochester Offshore Powerboat Association pulled off the 30th running of their Seneca Lake Battleship Run just over a week ago in upstate New York even more special. Since this was pretty much the only show in town, the club had no problem filling their field which was limited to 60 boats. And oh, what a beautiful field it was! Every single major high-performance manufacturer was represented with some of the most beautiful and fastest boats the event has ever seen. I should note however that if one looks at the number of entries on a “percentage of total production” basis, Sonic was the run away winner. (And they all looked and ran awesome!)

I do want take a minute to call out the leadership of the Rochester Offshore Powerboat Association for going the extra mile to make this event not only happen, but come off without a hitch. Most of the attendees have no idea how much work goes into something like this. But this year required special planning and extra special attention to detail. President Bill Krystan and his merry band of club officers and volunteers developed a great plan and followed it up with stellar execution – and it showed. All CDC and NYS guidelines were carefully studied, plans put in place to comply and backup plans put in place should something go wrong. Safety has always been a high priority for this run, but COVID-19 kicked the preparations up to a new and higher level.

The other reason this event is so successful is the people that attend year after year. Although it isn’t the biggest, or most expensive or fastest or most exotic location, this event has just the right mix of all of the critical variables as well as something special – a low-key, friendly group of high performance boaters who just want to have a safe, good time and raise money for a worthy cause. That cause once again this year was the Mercy Flight Central emergency helicopter service. The club presented a sizeable check to Mercy Flight again this year and a number of prize winners graciously donated their winnings to Mercy Flight. Now that’s class!

Now that the event is done for 2020, it’s time for ROPA to look forward to next year’s run – which will once again be held the 3rd weekend in July 2021. Sadly, next year’s run will be the first one without club President Bill Krystan at the helm. Bill announced (with a crackle in his voice and a tear in his eye) at the awards ceremony that he will be stepping down at the end of his term this year. It was though Bill’s fine leadership that the club re-focused from racing to fun runs many years ago. That path and Bill’s steady hand has produced 30 great Battleship Runs. And if you want my personal opinion, Bill’s legacy will continue with a great Board of Director’s and new President next year and for many years to come.

Tom Warda
Old 07-28-2020, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Ahhh, now the run is official. Good job on the report.

I am sorry I missed seeing you and all the others, I haven't missed a run in years.

Padraig
Old 07-28-2020, 01:48 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Padraig
Ahhh, now the run is official. Good job on the report.

I am sorry I missed seeing you and all the others, I haven't missed a run in years.

Padraig
And you were missed too!