Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Powerplay (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/powerplay-52/)
-   -   The "New Powerplay" (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/powerplay/270775-new-powerplay.html)

Powerplay Tom 02-15-2012 10:13 PM

The "New Powerplay"

Hello, my name is Tom Mason, in 2005 while I still owned Midnight Express, I bought the Powerplay molds for the 33 Openfish, 33 Sport Deck, and the 38 Super Sport. After Midnight was sold I signed a 5 year non-compete to pretty much stay out of the boating business. Let’s fast forward to last summer of 2011, I sold my 38 Powerplay, (the one with the outboards) to a gentleman from the Caribbean. He then inquired about representing Powerplay in and around the southern Caribbean. I flew to Martinique to do some market research and found there was a lot of interest in Powerplays because of their ride in the “big stuff” and their quality. Ok cliff notes: I get an inquiry to sell a brand new 33 O/B cuddy to a marine dealer in Martinique and I tell the gentleman that there is NO WAY to just build one boat. I also told the gentleman if we do agree to sell him a boat I would like to change some things on the boat. In other words, I did not want to build the exact same Powerplay that had been around for 25 years. I thought the boat could use some updating and, since it’s the first one for me it’s going to take some time. By the time I arrive back in Florida, there is a $25,000.00 deposit in my account... (I’m pretty sure at this point...he is serious)! We contacted 3 different boat building friends: one is in the middle of the state, one in Palm Beach, and one in Miami about building the first hull/prototype 33. The original carpenter that we used to build the molds for Midnight has a shop at Concept Boats. We talked with Luis at Concept who built a great boat. We explained to him that the first boat HAD to be built to “my standards” and proceeded to show him our requirements for laminate, gelcoat and coring. Luis agreed to all these standards and we started the first hull in July 2011. The laminate schedule for the bottom has 2 layers less than we used at Midnight because the hull panels are much closer together. Adding more glass does not do much for tensile strength except adding a lot more weight. All of this was shown to a naval architect and approved (as an off the record comment he said it was WAY over built). The gelcoat and the resins are even better because the technology has improved in the past 6 years. Here is a short list of what we changed in the boat: ALL of the wood is GONE, Air cell foam is used for the stringers, decks and transom, the new console design is able to hold (2) 10” Garmins, stand up head inside the console with a fiberglass floor, transom fish box that runs almost the entire width of the transom and, is bonded to the deck it also drains overboard, the 128 gallon fuel tanks and the 25 gallon water tank are moved forward to help carry the weight of the four strokes, the two jump seats are located in the forward part of the cabin interior so that the room to lay down in the cabin is now over 9 feet, the cabin has a fiberglass floor, the cockpit is self bailing for twin outboards, LED navigation and anchor lights, (8) flush mount cleats, battery switch breaker panel mounted inside the console, (2) new fish/ storage boxes mounted below deck that pump overboard, ALL stainless steel hardware and a Bowmar hatch on the cabin because I could not see any way that water could drain from the gutter. All in all, I think especially for the first one, she turned out pretty cool. We have already started to make changes on the second boat that will require some minor mold modifications (bigger hatches, recesses for hinges that we can thru bolt and a full fiberglass liner for the cabin). The hull weight came in with the gas tanks being 500lbs, bracket being 250 lbs and, misc interior parts at right around 5,500 lbs without motors. Total weight with twin four strokes between 9,000 and 9, 500 lbs. This first boat is sold and the dealer/customer requested Suzuki power. The boat will be at the Miami show this weekend, so if you have a chance stop by and see her in person! Please, tell me what you think. Also...If you wear something that says Powerplay on it, I will buy you a frosty adult beverage, and send you a license plate with the new logo on it color coded to match your vehicle! We should have pictures up by Thursday for those of you that can’t make it to ,the show. If I can answer any questions please do not hesitate to call me (954) 868-2021. Tom

northernoffshore 02-15-2012 10:39 PM

Congratulations. What molds did latitude end up with?

AJ POWERPLAY 02-15-2012 10:48 PM

This is great! Glad to see PowerPlay back in action, can't wait to see the new 33 sportdeck

jmbtile 02-16-2012 05:08 AM

I purchased a boat in 07 from Tom Mason. Def a stand up good businessman. Good Luck Tom!

Sydwayz 02-16-2012 07:17 AM

Good luck Tom! Let us know if you need some paint. :drink:

Ed 02-16-2012 07:36 AM

The New POWERPLAY!

CONGRADULATIONS Tom! Can't wait to see all your new ideas applied to the new 33, and the 38! Hope you have a great Miami Show!

modvp 02-16-2012 07:39 AM

Awesome news, it's great to see Powerplay back in business...good luck!

caseyh 02-16-2012 07:44 AM

Can't wait to see some pics

AJ POWERPLAY 02-16-2012 07:51 AM

Will you have a new 33 sportdeck @ Miami??

cowisl 02-16-2012 08:32 AM

Congrats. Keep us posted.