Powerplay & Mystic ! >

Powerplay & Mystic !

Notices

Powerplay & Mystic !

Old 05-14-2012, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powerplay & Mystic !

After 3 months of talking to different builders in and out of the state we have choosen John Cosker from Mystic powerboats to build all of the Powerplay's. Lamination and design are all these guys do. John has a stellar reputation in the industry, they have the extra capacity, their shop is spotless and they are only about 4 hours up the coast. I truly believe John and his team can build a better boat than any crew I could assemble. I have personally worked with John during the time I owned Midnight and our styles work well together. I asked John about a problem I heard he had with one of his Mystics and her are copies of the written corespondence that went between John and myself.

Good morning John: As you know after three months of talking to 5 different boat builder's including the guys who built all the early Midnight's and even Jimmy, Danny's head laminator we have decided to entrust you with the lamination of all of our boats! We truly feel that you will bring another level of fiberglass technology to the process along with your promise of being hands on in both the boat building and conception to completion of new mold’s. There is a lingering problem that we need to address. I was not around when you had a problem with one of your 50' Mystics. I only know what I have heard from other people in the boating industry and what I've read on line. In an attempt to not only tell your side of the story but to also answer any questions that a perspective Powerplay buyer might have, I ask the following:
What kind of a problem did you have with one of your 50’ Mystics cats at the Miami offshore race?
Did you figure out the cause?
How was the problem solved?
Are these boats still running around?
Anything you would like to add to maybe help us all understand the circumstances?
Thank you for the time and after you answer these questions would you mind if I posted this e mail on Offshore Only under Powerplay Powerboats?
We have toured your facility in Deland and by the way it was the cleanest most organized of any of the other ones we visited. With a little heads up and after you begin building the first Powerplay's would you mind if we offered a factory tours of your facility to any of the Powerplay faithful if they were interested? We are truly excited about your lamination capabilities and the fact that you are going vacuum bag ALL of our hulls and decks along with the fact that we will now be able to offer as an option a Carbon Fiber hull and deck if someone truly wants a state of the art Powerplay. I look forward to working with you and your team and truly feel we have added a key element to take Powerplay to the next level of World Class Boat Building AND Performance!

Sincerely,

Tom Mason

And John's reply:

Mystic Powerboats Inc.
1848 Patterson Ave.
DeLand FL 32724
386-736-2247
Via: E-Mail – Tom Mason
Dear Tom:
Thank you for your e-mail confirming Mystic Powerboats as your builder of choice for your new
Powerplay line. We look forward to a long and creative relationship.
Concerning your inquiry about delamination issues with our Mystic catamarans we did have an
issue with one of them a number of years ago. At the Miami race in 2009 the “JBS” cat started
to delaminate the starboard sponson in lap three. Unfortunately the team did not stop and pushed
the boat to lap eleven until finally the bottom was sheared off of the boat. Upon inspection I
found that we had an issue with the core bond to the outer skin on the boat. At that point in time
we were putting the core in both sponsons in the mould and then pulling a vacuum bag down on
the entire mould. Unfortunately on that boat the epoxy resin started to gel before the vacuum
was pulled down and a proper core bond did not take place. Since then we have changed our
manufacturing process and vacuum bag each sponson separately as soon as the core is put in
place. Since this change we have had no other issues with delamination on any of our boats.
After assessing the damage to the boat Jeff Stevenson the owner of the team and I came to an
agreement and I supplied him with a brand new hull and deck, this boat is still owned by the JBS
race team. They did have an issue with a crack in the aft sponson on the new boat after the
Miami Bimini run in 2010. After running 180 mph across the gulf stream in four foot seas a
small crack did develop on one side at a lifting strake. They also smashed the GPS screen, lost
all radio communications and beat themselves up so badly the driver was black and blue and
could hardly walk the next day. This was not a case of delamination but a situation where the
punishment exceeded the structure of the boat. The boat was brought to Mystic and we did a
rush repair job to get the boat up north for an event the owner had to make it to. We did not
repair it well enough and the crack opened back up in St. Clair Michigan. I was not able to send
a crew up to Michigan to repair the problem so the boat went to Douglas Marine, the builder of
Skater catamarans, and was repaired in a matter of days. Peter Hledin the owner of Douglas
Marine called me personally to say that it was a minor issue and not a big deal considering the
punishment that these boats go through. I’m not aware of any other issues this boat has had
since then. The original JBS boat has been repaired and resold to a race team in Trinidad. The
boat is finishing up in rigging and should be on the race course this season.
Since these incidents we have built a number of 50 catamarans for both racing and pleasure and
have had no issues with any of these boats. In 2011 long time racing veteran Nigel Hook
commissioned Mystic to build his new 48’ Silverhook V hull. The boat was designed, tooled,
Mystic Powerboats Inc.
built and rigged in a matter of six months and delivered to Europe where in Malta it had it’s
shake down run at 100+ mph in 8 ft. seas and passed with flying colors. Nigel says it is the first
race boat he has owned that he is confident that he cannot break. At the LOTO shootout in 2011
I personally ran Bill Tomlinson's “My Way” Mystic catamaran powered by a pair of 2,950 hp
turbine engines to a top speed of 223 mph, making it the fastest offshore catamaran in the world.
I would not feel comfortable running any boat that fast except for one of mine because of our
dedication to engineering, safety and the highest quality construction available on the market
today. We currently have the new “Spirit of Qatar” race boat in the mold for Sheik Hassan
Althani which will debut in the US for the 2013 offshore season in the Turbine Extreme class.
The “Spirit of Qatar” team currently owns four Victory Class 1 offshore race boats which are the
finest offshore catamarans built outside of the US bar none and now he has turned to Mystic to
build his latest dream boat which will be powered with both T53 1,850 hp turbines for the race
course as well as T55 3,000 hp turbines for Shootout’s and record runs.
I would welcome any questions from a potential Powerplay buyer, please feel free to give them
my cell phone number to contact me directly at any time. My doors are always open to you
bringing past present and future owners to tour our facility whenever you would like.
Thank you again for having faith in us to create and build your new Powerplay line we look
forward to working hard to bring it to the next level of world class performance.
Sincerely
John Cosker
Owner Mystic Powerboats Inc.
Direct Line: 386-451-0047
Old 05-14-2012, 01:15 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Awesome news, this has got to be one of the best relationships forged in the boating industry in recent years combining the legendary Powerplay Powerboats with industry leading lamination skills of Mystic Powerboats.

This should give the Current members of the Powerplay nation the comfort level that Powerplay Powerboats will be around for years to come offering the performance, styling, fit, and finish Powerplay has known for years. Along with Tom Mason's passion for the performance boating industry we at Allstar Marine are extremely excited for the future of Powerplay Powerboats.

Great news Tom, congratulations. Allstar Marine is looking forward to working together with you in the resurrection and growth of Powerplay Powerboats.

Sincerely,
Allstar Marine
Old 05-14-2012, 01:39 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

very cool! best of luck to you!
Old 05-14-2012, 02:15 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW...very cool...what model is going to be built first ?
Old 05-14-2012, 07:58 PM
Registered

Awesome news. Great to see PP's being available with modern tech infused. Hope to see a bunch of them sold, and soon!
Old 05-15-2012, 04:01 AM
Registered

Received 1,819 Likes on 711 Posts

Awesome stuff! Congrats. Any plans on popping a couple 28's
Old 05-15-2012, 12:15 PM
Registered

JMS We are having that very discussion. Top candidates are loose the metal bracket on the 33 and incorporate a euro transom with a swim platform, dam the 38 mold and make a stepped 33/35, loose the bracket on the 38 AND develop a 41 center console version. That's where we are as of this morning. Whatever we do both the 33 and 38 original models will still be available. So a little feed back, with the economy still a little questionable and the price of fuel what would you guys spend money on developing ?
Old 05-15-2012, 12:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A stepped 35ish model would be the ****! Not a lot of boats out there in the under 38' size range.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Powerplay Tom
JMS We are having that very discussion. Top candidates are loose the metal bracket on the 33 and incorporate a euro transom with a swim platform, dam the 38 mold and make a stepped 33/35, loose the bracket on the 38 AND develop a 41 center console version. That's where we are as of this morning. Whatever we do both the 33 and 38 original models will still be available. So a little feed back, with the economy still a little questionable and the price of fuel what would you guys spend money on developing ?
A boat company that ask's potential owners what they would like to see? I wish you the best of luck you seem to be doing things right as you go. I am in no way a boat builder but asking the people that buy them is very cool to see. 35' Stepped might be the ticket with a molded platform
Old 05-15-2012, 01:21 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Powerplay Tom
An update, stepped the 33 would be the bomb. The 33 drives like way more boat than it is and flies level. As long as it doesn't effect those characteristics ++++ . .

The 38 is classic offshore look. Biggest 38 in its class. They look and feel huge when set next to anything else. Down sizing it slightly wouldn't be bad as long as you maintained its wave crushing ride. I have never been able to get ours out of shape in any water condition. Always flies level and lands smoothly. Those qualities and superior rigging are what set PP apart from the competition. IMO, if you are in the market and buying one of these boats, $$$ for fuel is the least of your concerns. I am not a CC guy so I'm not going to comment on that one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.