Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Powerquest (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/powerquest-49/)
-   -   34' Powerquest performance (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/powerquest/117409-34-powerquest-performance.html)

BajaBennett 11-29-2005 02:05 PM

34' Powerquest performance

Looking at a 1999 34' with twin 500's. What kind of speeds can be expected from this setup?

Thanks
Dail

BajaBennett 11-30-2005 07:31 AM

Re: 34' Powerquest performance

Anyone have any experience with a 34 Viper?

Thanks,
Dail

Slick02 11-30-2005 07:36 AM

Dail,
I had a 99 34 PQ Vyper with that combination for a couple of years,,top end the boat would run 77/78 on gps in salt water, 74/75 in fresh water, The boat was a great boat,well built, good amenities, comfortable,,,,except it was a total PIG coming out of the water,,,took forever to plane, tried turning the props in, turned them out,(28 pitch 4 blade Bravo's),all to no avail,,without the tabs with 4 people it was damn near impossible to plane. tried 26 pitch props,,,didn't help,,boat pulled the 28's to the rev limiter,,talking to the factory and the local dealer at the time, the problem seemed to be in the stepped hull design and x diminsion.
Hope this helps.

Macklin 11-30-2005 11:23 AM

Interesting. I have an '02 with HO's that will run those speeds. Yes, it is slow out of the hole, but not near as bad as mentioned. PQ may have made some mods to the hull since then. It's been a great boat.

BTW, I am contemplating moving up. PM me if you might be interested.

Hey, is that the '99 that is listed in Powerboat?

hp500efi 12-02-2005 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Macklin
Hey, is that the '99 that is listed in Powerboat?

for 89K, probably...yes they did make some hull changes in 2000.

performancemary 12-03-2005 10:44 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Say Baha Bennett

I have a 99 34' PQ with the HP500's and it runs 77 on GPS in good conditions and half a tank. Hits 75 when loaded down. I know it has more in it as I am only getting about 5050 RPM with the Lab 30' Bravo 1 props but just haven't tried any other prop's
The boat has been fantastic, lots of room for overnights it looks great and has all the good stuff including the electric bolsters and custom stainless steel supported canvas . Motors are strong, only 60 hours. Very Very clean boat. Description below.
If you are interested send me a PM and I will forward more Pic's as it is for sale, I bought a 38 PQ last summer.

HP500's and Bravo 1 drives with drive showers and Lab Finished Bravo 1 30" props. Motors have only 60 hours.
McLeod Electric Bolsters, K planes with Mechanical Indicators, Gaffrig Gages with Purple Bezels including Clock, GPS Speedo and Hour Meters, Tilt Helm with full hydraulic steering and windshield, VHF radio, stereo remote control on dash and swim platform, New Powerquest lay in cockpit carpet, Microwave, Pressure water, 110/12 volt Refrigerator, Porcelain head and pump out, 100 watt 6 speaker one subwoofer Sony AM/FM CD stereo, 15" flat screen stereo TV, Shorepower, 5'5" headroom and 6'6" berth, Cora Quick and Quiet Plus Exhaust, Spatter Paint Engine Compartment, Halon Fire Ext, 3 batteries with control switches, Water Strainers, Pop up Cleats, Exterior White Hardware, Docking Lights, Stainless Rub Rail, Transom Shower, 4 opening windows, Deck Graphic, Competition Package, Cockpit Cover, Mooring Cover, Custom Bimini (7' head room) with full enclosure and Deluxe Trailer with spare.
Oil changed every 20/25 hrs; drives removed every season, wiped down after every use.

Macklin 12-04-2005 08:34 AM

You go Jim! I guess with two PQ's you need to sell one more than I do. :p

So what ever happened to BB? No retort??

Slick02 12-04-2005 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by hp500efi
..yes they did make some hull changes in 2000.

In talking to the factory about my planing problem, the had said that they were going to change the step/hull design a little to help with the problem, and they knew they had one when they released the stepped hull initially but they released it anyway.....Go figure..
I know that the stepped hulls don't plane as well/quickly as a conventional v or pad bottom,,but my 99 was ridiculous,, the 292 Fastech I just traded was a little slow to plane(app 6 to 7 seconds without tabs, 2 people and half tank of gas) but the 99 P/Q Vyper was much worse without using the tabs(app 12 seconds) and same load conditions, Once on plane it was great, just no fun getting it to plane.
Hope this information helps.
Not trying to shoot anyones boat sale down,,,they were excellent boats as far as the quality of the boat itself(very much comparable to the Formulas I've owned),,,just think they should have waited till they got the bugs worked out to release the hull design instead of hurring into the top speed races with everyone else..As long as you can live with the slow planing issue you'll be more than happy with the boat.

Just my personal experience/opinion..

performancemary 12-04-2005 08:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Say I have yo disagree on the time to plane issue with the 34 PQ.

Could be a boat by boat issue but none of the magazine reviews on the 34 PQ have identified this as a concern and my 99 comes up in 4 to 5 seconds with the tabs down and an additional sec. or so with them up. In fact it comes up better than most of the Formulas and Baja is see up here in Minnesota. To contrast with my 38 PQ it has less bow rise but both boats come on plane nicely.

Mack, you had any issues with yours? :D :D :D

Macklin 12-05-2005 07:01 AM

Nope! Pretty much the same as you. The only reason mine is slow to plane is because I baby it. I could hammer it if I wanted, but don't want to grenade a drive. Slowly bring her up to 3 grand, let her roll over nicely and then hit the sticks. :cool: