22' PQ Spectra info needed >

22' PQ Spectra info needed

Notices

22' PQ Spectra info needed

Old 08-13-2006, 03:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 22' PQ Spectra info needed

I recently purchased a 1994 22' Powerquest Spectra XL with a 454 "non-Mag" Bravo 1. It seems as though PQ didn't make this model very long, as it's hard to get any info on it. Does anyone know if there are any hulls this boat is similar to (or copied from)? Is the Spectra hull the same bottom as the 22' Raizor hull they made in later years? And does anyone know any of the original specs on the Spectra, such as deadrise and weight?
I like the boat, although the 'ol 454 might be a bit tired. I am only getting 57 mph (gps) with a 23p Mirage Plus. If I keep the boat I might have to re-power it to wake it up, but I would like to know how this particular hull will handle with more hp. Repowering might not make sense if it gets squirrely and chinewalks when pushed into the 70's.

Thanks allot for any help you can give in advance!
Old 08-13-2006, 09:39 PM
Registered

Default Re: 22' PQ Spectra info needed

Rich - 1989 was first year - they made the XL and the BR. No idea when they stopped producing them. Think the ones with the 454 EFI Bravos did mid 60's. Still see them around - 2 out of Holland Harbor today.

Brocure Specs:

Length: 22'2''
Beam: 8'
Hull: 22 1/2 degree deadrise
Fuel Capacity: 50 Gallons
Approx. Weight: 3,500 lbs (V8)
Bridge Clearance: 58''
Headroom: 47''
Old 08-14-2006, 07:28 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Every hull has its limits in power, I know with my 270 laser even at 65mph GPS it starts to get alittle loose. It's mainly because of the outdrive being in the water to low causing the bow to be pushed down. With the tabs down a bit I can control chine walk. I also added IMCO stereo system which made a big difference. So if your looking to repower it beware that there will probably be more involved then just slapping in a new setup.
Old 08-14-2006, 08:27 AM
Registered

pkspx, that's what I suspected. I imagine certain hulls are more prone to "walking" than others though. It would be nice to know which V-bottoms in the 22'-27' category are more stable at higher speeds.

Woogie, thanks for the info. Should have known someone from Holland would be there to help! You don't happen to have the brochure that could be emailed or faxed to me, do you? I'm surprised at the 22 1/2 degree deadrise, which I consider a fairly deep V. Reason being it doesn't act too well in rough stuff or rollers. Has a 22' Larson Duo-conic hull that handled the rough stuff much better. Obviously, there's more to hull design than the deadrise measurement.

So, although I love the look (it's in mint condition), low cost, and construction quality of the boat, it seems that if I want a better ride and higher top end, I need to enjoy it "as is" for now, and eventually move up to a bigger/different boat.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I checked my 1997 Brochure and that model is not listed, sorry I couldn't help. I do know there is a website out there that archive all the old date like from Powerquest. I don't recall the website but someone had posted on OSO. I was able to look back on Powerquest website for several years. Maybe someone else may recall the site.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:31 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I found the webiste:.....http://www.archive.org/index.php

Simply type in powerquest boats. Looks like it starts at 2000 as the listing for 1998 & 1999 have no data. Still fun to look at.