Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Powerquest (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/powerquest-49/)
-   -   2mph more with Hydromotive (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/powerquest/228063-2mph-more-hydromotive.html)

bert4332 04-09-2010 08:46 PM

2mph more with Hydromotive

Going off FastFoward's prop test and evaluations, my hydromotive 23P Q4 arrived today.

Going from a 3 blade Mirage Plus to the a 4 Blade was very nice. Got me out of the hole and on plane very quickly and my top end gained 2 mph more with no chine walk. I had a lot on the first go around but I had it trimmed out too much, I dropped it down two short clicks and it locked solid.

Thanx Fast Forward for the all the testing and making this so easy!

Powerquest_Baby!! 04-10-2010 01:33 PM

I see you are using a 23 pitch hydromotive--what pitch Mirage plus were you using?

bert4332 04-11-2010 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Powerquest_Baby!! (Post 3084652)
I see you are using a 23 pitch hydromotive--what pitch Mirage plus were you using?

They are both 23p, my recommendation is to go to Fast Forwards test thread, additionally he did some 4 blade testing prior to the test thread and he had bad results, so it's really about the manufacturer, I'm VERY happy with the results Hydro 4 blade, I just might be able to pick up 1 more if just spend the time to play with the trim.

My main concern was chine walk above 60mph. I really had to drop the tabs to control it with the 3 blade Bravo. With 4 blade Hydro, I didn't drop them at all, added a lil more trim and poof it was gone without losing any speed.

Powerquest_Baby!! 04-12-2010 09:12 AM

Where did you get the Hydromotive prop and how much did you pay? I assume its a Quad IV?
I just had a new engine installed and am now underpropped! I am running a Mirage 21p now and am hitting 5000 rpm at mid throttle!

specialk 04-12-2010 05:20 PM

I have a 23p high 5 for sale if you think it would do you any good.

bert4332 04-12-2010 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Powerquest_Baby!! (Post 3085605)
Where did you get the Hydromotive prop and how much did you pay? I assume its a Quad IV?
I just had a new engine installed and am now underpropped! I am running a Mirage 21p now and am hitting 5000 rpm at mid throttle!

I got it on here from ROCKFISH71, new prop for $305 shipped! Don't know the story on why he was selling it, and yes it was a QIV. 21p is not going to work, 23p is the right size, 24 would be too big too.

launchpad475 04-12-2010 06:37 PM

What motor or HP are you running?

Powerquest_Baby!! 04-12-2010 08:33 PM

I have a 454 Mag EFI which was rebuilt last year. Stock HP was 385--I dont know what I have now. I found a local shop that is going to let me try out a 23p Mirage Plus this weekend (just have to put down a deposit). If I decided to buy its $400.

Really curious to try a Hydromotive IV 23p but no one has them locally. I found a company that would have to order it for me (no returns) and it would run about $610 including hub and shipping.

Current prop is a 21P Mirage (Not plus). Before the rebuild I was hitting 60 mph at 4800 rpm but clearly have more power now.

bert4332 04-13-2010 01:54 AM

If I were you, I would search for FastForwards threads on prop testing. I seriously think over a 2 yr period he test over 8 props and the Hydro came in #1 by far. < than $650 for a new QIV with hub is a decent price since a new one w/hub is $700.

A Mirage Plus 23p 3 blade will do a lot better than your 21p, but the QIV is the best for our boat. I'm running the same motor as you, I had my bottom end rebuilt last year so we are kinda in the same boat, pun intended. Remember the 26sx hull is NOT a speed demon hull, so other boats acquiring the same modifications might do much better than ours. However, I can now do 65mph with NO chine walk and that was more than I was expecting.

I would sell your 21p and buy the Hydro QIV.

Good Luck

Powerquest_Baby!! 04-13-2010 01:47 PM

I searched for his fast forwards thread on prop testing but cant find it. I remember reading it a long time ago and remember it was very thorough. That being said Ive decided to take your advise and spend the extra dough--I just ordered a new Quad IV 23 P for $545 shipped. The Mirage + would have cost me $410 with tax so the difference wasnt enough to justify the loss in performance.