Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Powerquest (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/powerquest-49/)
-   -   PQ Roll Call (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/powerquest/378202-pq-roll-call.html)

Brad Christy 01-26-2023 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by bdbwtie (Post 4857480)
Thanks Brad! its an 05 and has the 496 mag in it. Wish it was the HO but still does pretty good. I would rather it didnt have the port holes but they do make for a nice cross breeze on a hot day!

Brad

bdbwtie,

In '05 they would have both had the cast crank and rods, anyway.

And just what would you be doing in the cuddy that might require a cross breeze on a hot day......? :kiss::signs069:

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991

bdbwtie 01-26-2023 11:39 AM

So I am just minus the cam and the tuning then!?!

Haha exactly what a cuddy is made for :silenced:

Brad Christy 01-26-2023 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by bdbwtie (Post 4857493)
So I am just minus the cam and the tuning then!?!

Haha exactly what a cuddy is made for :silenced:

bdbwtie,

I think that's the only "performance" differences that make up the ~35HP gap. The problem is that, at least in my opinion, and apparently that of Merc until ~'01, as well, you kinda need the forged lower end to handle the extra HP.

Right about 2000-2001, Merc decided to start building the 496HO with their cast crank and rods. Through 2002 or so, what you actually got seems to have been at the whims of the guy assembling the engine, as they worked their way through their remaining stock of forged parts. Mine is an '02, and, according to the tech at Merc that ran my serial numbers, my HO was built with forged parts, which is a good thing, as mine also has a PQ factory build M1 ProCharger (I've since sent the ECM to Whipple for their stage 2 tune). My guess is that, when the original buyer requested the upgrade, PQ reached out to Merc and specifically requested a forged part built engine. Just a guess. My engine and outdrive build dates are '01. Certainly, by '05, those forged parts would have been long gone, and all HOs would have been built using the same cast parts as the base engine. The later HO engines don't seem to have any historical issues with the crank or rods, so..... Seek the expert's advice first, obviously, but my guess is that you'd be OK, if you were so inclined, with swapping the cam and having Merc (or whoever) reflash the ECM for the HO tune.

What do you run? We are short of that magic 80MPH mark (I'd like to see 85, let's be honest), but I'm pretty happy. And it pulls my old, fat ass up on a slalom, to boot! I wouldn't want to push it too hard with those damned stock cast pistons, anyway.

Ditto on the cuddy...... :ernaehrung004:

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991

bdbwtie 01-26-2023 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Brad Christy (Post 4857495)
bdbwtie,

I think that's the only "performance" differences that make up the ~35HP gap. The problem is that, at least in my opinion, and apparently that of Merc until ~'01, as well, you kinda need the forged lower end to handle the extra HP.

Right about 2000-2001, Merc decided to start building the 496HO with their cast crank and rods. Through 2002 or so, what you actually got seems to have been at the whims of the guy assembling the engine, as they worked their way through their remaining stock of forged parts. Mine is an '02, and, according to the tech at Merc that ran my serial numbers, my HO was built with forged parts, which is a good thing, as mine also has a PQ factory build M1 ProCharger (I've since sent the ECM to Whipple for their stage 2 tune). My guess is that, when the original buyer requested the upgrade, PQ reached out to Merc and specifically requested a forged part built engine. Just a guess. My engine and outdrive build dates are '01. Certainly, by '05, those forged parts would have been long gone, and all HOs would have been built using the same cast parts as the base engine. The later HO engines don't seem to have any historical issues with the crank or rods, so..... Seek the expert's advice first, obviously, but my guess is that you'd be OK, if you were so inclined, with swapping the cam and having Merc (or whoever) reflash the ECM for the HO tune.

What do you run? We are short of that magic 80MPH mark (I'd like to see 85, let's be honest), but I'm pretty happy. And it pulls my old, fat ass up on a slalom, to boot! I wouldn't want to push it too hard with those damned stock cast pistons, anyway.

Ditto on the cuddy...... :ernaehrung004:

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991

Yea I don't think I honestly ever see myself doing any upgrades to this. I would love to go faster or get out of the hole better as its a slug out of the hole but I am probably over propped now with a 26p on it. I wanna say it is in the 65-66 mark well short of your 85 mark! I wouldn't pass a ride on yours though!!

Brad Christy 01-26-2023 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by bdbwtie (Post 4857502)
Yea I don't think I honestly ever see myself doing any upgrades to this. I would love to go faster or get out of the hole better as its a slug out of the hole but I am probably over propped now with a 26p on it. I wanna say it is in the 65-66 mark well short of your 85 mark! I wouldn't pass a ride on yours though!!

bdbwtie,

Oh, we aren't hitting 85, by a good bit. The best we ever saw, after getting the injector issue ironed out, was 76, maaayyyyybe 77. I said I'd LIKE to see 85. Ain't gonna happen until I can convince the wife we need a new STX outdrive. 🙄

Yeah. I'm pretty sure we inherited a set of clogging injectors that went full clogged last spring. It was taking a full quarter mile to get on a plane, and maxed out at 53MPH. Smitty (Arcticfriends) cleaned them up for me and said it would be like a brand new boat. He wasn't wrong.

I'm hoping there's another PQ meet-up on St Clair this year. Maybe we can hook you up. I'm always up for mashing on the fun stick. :ernaehrung004:

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991

bdbwtie 01-26-2023 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Brad Christy (Post 4857506)
bdbwtie,

Oh, we aren't hitting 85, by a good bit. The best we ever saw, after getting the injector issue ironed out, was 76, maaayyyyybe 77. I said I'd LIKE to see 85. Ain't gonna happen until I can convince the wife we need a new STX outdrive. 🙄

Yeah. I'm pretty sure we inherited a set of clogging injectors that went full clogged last spring. It was taking a full quarter mile to get on a plane, and maxed out at 53MPH. Smitty (Arcticfriends) cleaned them up for me and said it would be like a brand new boat. He wasn't wrong.

I'm hoping there's another PQ meet-up on St Clair this year. Maybe we can hook you up. I'm always up for mashing on the fun stick. :ernaehrung004:

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991

Someday you will get there! 76mph is still respectable! I havent had any issues with injectors on this one knock on wood. The legend I had before this with the 502 had dirty injectors, Smitty went through those and was a life saver!

I havent been on the east side for boating but I would be game for that!

Brad Christy 01-26-2023 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by bdbwtie (Post 4857508)
Someday you will get there! 76mph is still respectable! I havent had any issues with injectors on this one knock on wood. The legend I had before this with the 502 had dirty injectors, Smitty went through those and was a life saver!

I havent been on the east side for boating but I would be game for that!

bdbwtie,

Can't be much more of a drive for you than it would be for me. 😎

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991

Gimme Fuel 01-26-2023 02:57 PM

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...a97daf69ae.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...82cf5c1cc7.jpg
2000 PQ 380 Avenger. 502 MPI with better oiling systems, TB, and Smitty tune/injectors. Modified bottom with trimmed strakes and reversed prop rotation (out). She boogies respectably for her big azz and black motahs. Located in Saginaw, MI.

Will be for sale in the Spring with all brand new updated dash/electronics/gauges.

bdbwtie 01-26-2023 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Gimme Fuel (Post 4857521)
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...a97daf69ae.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.off...82cf5c1cc7.jpg
2000 PQ 380 Avenger. 502 MPI with better oiling systems, TB, and Smitty tune/injectors. Modified bottom with trimmed strakes and reversed prop rotation (out). She boogies respectably for her big azz and black motahs. Located in Saginaw, MI.

Will be for sale in the Spring with all brand new updated dash/electronics/gauges.

Now that is goals!! Sweet boat!

liberator221 01-26-2023 03:47 PM

Nice roost. Like the graphics.