Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Prop Talk (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/prop-talk-165/)
-   -   Lab Finishing (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/prop-talk/103329-lab-finishing.html)

two-air 05-16-2005 05:56 PM

Lab Finishing

I am thinking of switching from Bravo 1s to Hydromotive 4 blades for more speed.

My boat is a 39 Velocity with Bravo 30"s 1.5 gear ratio, 5200 rpms.

I have heard unlike Bravos, Hydros pitch cannot be manipulated to increase or decrease rpms. Also that Labbing or thinning the blades on Hydros is risky due to the fact that they are generally more brittle than Bravos. Is this true?

Is it worth having Hydros Labbed??

THANKS

Frank

Ran-Dom 32 05-16-2005 07:39 PM

Re: Lab Finishing

I thinking of trying hydromotives as well, looking for more top end speed. Currently using labbed 28 bravos 1.5 5400 rpm 82 MPH - 35 Single Step Fountain.

What top speed are you getting with the Velocity???

Rippem 05-16-2005 08:14 PM

thinned hydro's will crack.
They are harder to twist (pitch) than bravos.
If I were going to run a set, they would not be thinned.

I have interest in the bowlift of the hydros over the bravos, to get my 353 "freed up" a bit.

Formerly ran nothing but hydros on my two Velocities.

EDIT: depending on your X twoair...don't expect your 39 to come on plane like bravos! RPM's, shudders, and vibes while she's gettin a bite...but the boat will be faster with the right ones!

two-air 05-17-2005 06:36 AM

Ran-Dom 32:

Best speed so far is 83.1 gps

Ripem:

Even with the Bravos they take a little while to grab when getting on a plane. Using the tabs help alot. Also aren't Hrdros stearn lifting props??

throttleup 05-17-2005 06:48 AM

Hydromotive props on your Velocity are an excellent choice.

Hydromotive Quad IV props are actually easier to manipulate than Bravo 1's. They have a different heat treat process due to the different blade design.

Excessively thinned Hydromotive props will crack and throw blades, like any other prop on the market. The key, when lab finishing, is to make the propeller for the particular application. The propeller needs to be worked taking in account the horsepower, boat, and water conditions the prop is going to be used in.

The Hydromotive Quad IV prop would be considered stern lifting.

Matt

bbladesprops 05-17-2005 10:00 AM

[QUOTE=throttleup]Hydromotive props on your Velocity are an excellent choice.
Hydromotive Quad IV props are actually easier to manipulate than Bravo 1's. They have a different heat treat process due to the different blade design.

Huh? Bravo 1's don't use a heat treat process and are easy to manipulate.

two-air and Ran-Dom, if you change over to Hydro's, post your overall performance changes. Pro's and con's.

Ran-Dom 32 05-17-2005 10:13 AM

Can the prop experts answer this question?? Is there any speed gains to be had by making the switch?? I realize there are to many variables but generally is the hydro a faster prop??? & I've heard a labbed b1 will be very close to a stock hydro?? any thoughts??

bbladesprops 05-17-2005 01:42 PM

There is a long story about the 4BL intimidater Q4 versus the 4BL bravo 1. I'm not going to explain the whole story here and now. In a nut shell.

In the 90's Reggie used Bravo 1 propellers because they did everything well for his boats. Great hole shot, excellent mid range and good top end. The Q4 Hydro was 1-2 mph fast at WOT than the Bravo 1 in box stock configuration. The Q4 was less than satisfactory in all other rpm ranges except WOT. In other words, the Bravo 1 beat it everywhere except WOT. Once the Bravo 1 was Labbed, it beat the Hydromotive at every rpm level. Reggie's boats are all about speed. Here in lies the issue. Get the best all around performance for more money or get the good top end for less money. He chose box stock Hydromotives.

Currently he is back to Bravo 1's.

throttleup 05-17-2005 04:58 PM

The whole Fountain prop story involves a little bit more than the performance of the props.

Matt

birdog 05-17-2005 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by throttleup
The whole Fountain prop story involves a little bit more than the performance of the props.

Matt

Anything to do with bills not being paid ? :evilb: