Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Prop Talk (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/prop-talk-165/)
-   -   Is cleaver the right style prop for me? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/prop-talk/149021-cleaver-right-style-prop-me.html)

superiormgmtco 01-11-2007 07:45 PM

Is cleaver the right style prop for me?

I have been restoring a 1980 30' Velocity (twin engine) . Originally the boat had trs drives. I've since adapted Alpha gen 2 transoms on it. Engines are 350's with around 300-320 hp.
Reason for the question: Trs drives sit low in the water, Alphas do not. Now...as I look down the hull I can see only about 3/4 of the prop. and right at/above the nose cone.

I was wondering if the Cleaver style prop will help with water pick up when I'm on plane.

Havent had it on the water yet but I'm in the prosess of purchasing the props for these new drives.

Thanks a million for any help

Pat McPherson 01-12-2007 06:50 AM

Re: Is cleaver the right style prop for me?

I had a similar boat years back, a 28' Cig SS with twin 300HP/350cube TRS drives.
The boat came with cleavers but we switched to a more round ear prop, Turbo Vectors.
The cleavers were the fastest top end but sucked coming on plane and mid range.
Merc Mirages worked well but the Turbos were a tick faster.
With your swap to Alphas, I would try Merc Mirage + or Merc Rev 4s...

As to your water pick up question, if your seeing 3/4 of the prop, your still pretty deep. You should not have a problem.

throttleup 01-12-2007 08:10 AM

I would also recommend that you start with Mirage Plus props to baseline with.

Julie

tomas_wallin 01-12-2007 08:20 AM

Try to borrow a set of fresh set of untouched Mirage Pluses to start with, then go from there.

bbladesprops 01-12-2007 08:34 AM

Agreed on the Mirage Plus props. We do have them for testing if you need them. $10 per prop to try for 2 weeks. Let us know if we can help.

superiormgmtco 01-12-2007 10:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
GREAT! Then it looks like I'll be trying the Mirage plus props. And I'll be in touch about the rental.
Thanks for the great help
hers a pic

iamfaster 01-13-2007 07:36 AM

nice looking boat. Why didnt u go with bravo drives??

superiormgmtco 01-14-2007 01:16 AM

Thanks,

Right now the project is to just to get this boat sea worthy. Here's the plan for this boat. I got my first boat about three years ago. I was 24 years old then. I built a 350 w/ 320hp, added a gen 2 transom and drive about 18 months ago after tearing up the old alpha drive. I've since bought this Velocity and purchased a matching setup that is now installed on the Velocity.
My plan is that once I get the rigging, dash/cockpit , and cabin finished I will then rob my other boat for the 350,transom and drive. This is starting to be an expensive hobby......I havent finished growing my money tree yet.
I do not plan on selling the Velocity ANY TIME SOON.......Kinda the exact boat I grew up wanting.

The long term plan is to build these 350's up to the max (blower) or add bbc. If you price the bravo transom assembles and drives it's not what I have budgeted at this time. When I do upgrade I am leaning more toward surface drives for nearly the same price. With the pad bottom I expect this would account for great top end.
I love to talk about this project, sorry for the lengthly answer.

bbladesprops 01-16-2007 06:11 PM

Very cool! It is a beautiful boat!

I really like the graphics and colors.

IRONMAN 01-17-2007 09:50 PM

Is the other boat that you might sell less rigging a smaller Velocity? Great looking boat and I think that you have a good solid plan that as long as you stay with small blocks and don't do many full throttle starts the drives should hold up.