Prop Blowout >

Prop Blowout

Notices

Prop Blowout

Old 04-03-2009, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Prop Blowout

Ok, so I have a few questions. This is my first boat with a 454/330 merc and bravo 1, all past boats have been small blocks and alpha's so maybe I just have to get use to the extra power I now have.

The boat is a 23' Mach 1 454/330 w/ bravo 1

23p Mirage (stainless)

WOT 4850 rpm @ 62mph

I think for the most part I'm pretty pleased with the prop, I think it carries the bow pretty well, I see water breaking about where I stand in the boat, maybe 6-8' forward of the stern.

My big question is I noticed the prop loosing it's grip a little during planing. I get just about on plane and hear the motor start to rev, so I back off a touch and it grabs again and keeps going no problem. Then I notice if I bring the drive up too quick it loses grip again, so I back off a touch and no problems. I don't hammer on the throttle, I ease into it so I know that's not the problem.

Is this something normal for a BBC to do? Do I just have to get use to it? Any help or suggestions would be great, and thanks in advance!

Jay
Old 04-03-2009, 12:44 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Is it a Mirage or Mirage Plus????

A Mirage Plus will bite better. You could have some cupping added to your existing prop if its a regular Mirage.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:29 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
Is it a Mirage or Mirage Plus????

A Mirage Plus will bite better. You could have some cupping added to your existing prop if its a regular Mirage.
Standard Mirage, not the plus
Old 04-03-2009, 02:47 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have it cupped slightly... will help alot.
Or get a Mirage Plus... already is cupped to help with hook-up

Chris
Old 04-10-2009, 04:07 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

There is a simple solution to your issue. We can Lab the propeller into a Mirage Plus while dialing in the rpm you need. This process will improve the performance from planning to top end.

Call us if you like and I can explain the process in depth.

Brett
Old 04-15-2009, 05:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bbladesprops
There is a simple solution to your issue. We can Lab the propeller into a Mirage Plus while dialing in the rpm you need. This process will improve the performance from planning to top end.

Call us if you like and I can explain the process in depth.

Brett
this is your best bet cause at 4850 you are 150 rpms higher than what a 330hp 454 calls for so with bret getting you hook up better your slip will come down a 100rpm and you will pick up speed with less slip, also if you want new talk to Brett about the rev4 by merc its a good 4 blade for deep drives like your boat has. measure from the keel to your prop shaft if its between 6'' to 7 1/2'' its deep if its 5 1/2 to 4 1/2 its good for a b1 prop. but brett is known for doing a nice job labbing mirage and rev4 props for vee hulls with deep drives and pick up handling and speed. 920 295 4435 that should be bretts phone#