Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Prop Talk
Can a single vee actually air completely out below 100 mph? >

Can a single vee actually air completely out below 100 mph?

Notices

Can a single vee actually air completely out below 100 mph?

Old 11-14-2007, 03:42 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Card 09
Wow Smitty, truly amazing numbers. I think it is great reading about what you have done with your 272. High ninety´s must feel really special. As to the sensation you describe (and I´m only theorising here ´cos I ain´t been much past 80 in mine) I can only imagine that you are bringing the boat closer to the surface because your drive (and particularly the cavitation plate) is generating enough lift to raise the bow, whilst dropping the tabs a couple of clicks is lifting the stern. Those two are balancing out and the boat gains an extra inch of lift.

As the last few inches of the V disappears into a pad , there isn´t much left to give you directional stability.

I bet the rising sensation ties up with when you dropped the tabs. They couldn´t push the nose down because 1100 ponies were holding it high. The tail then followed.

Like I said, just plain theory, but it makes a good story.

Congrats on the baddest 272, and thanks for sharing all of your experience with us
I still have another pulley I could try that would bump my hp up another 58 more than I ran 98mph with BUT I am truly convinced that I have been as fast as I want to go in this boat and running much past 95 mph is just outright unsafe. I never thought I would reach a point where I didn't want to go faster but I have. I still might try a imco -2 shorty and buy 28" k-planes to replace my home built stainless ones,we'll see if that makes much difference in the handling. I did wear a full face helmet when running the very last time of the season this year,there was a 30-40 mph crosswind on the river which made driving just plain awful and kept my speeds down to a max of 90mph when the wind died down a little and I was on a stretch where the wind was mostly to our back but anyways wearing a helmet gave me a much clearer perspective and a different feel at high speed,Smitty
Attached Thumbnails Can a single vee actually air completely out below 100 mph?-copy-2007_0128272baja0003.jpg   Can a single vee actually air completely out below 100 mph?-copy-2007_0128272baja0004.jpg  

Last edited by articfriends; 11-14-2007 at 03:45 AM.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Smitty, What were the coil wires you recommended with my MSD boxes? Carder
Old 12-06-2007, 06:13 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
I think I have reached/passed the very maximum point which the boat can be ran with any degree of control whatsoever,Smitty

Naw ... you need to just push on past that ......it will stable out when you land .....
Old 12-06-2007, 06:33 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

On the other hand the last time I had it out I had it loaded heavier and blew a fuel pump fuse at about 90-92 mph,the boat just settled in and drifted to a stop with no drama. I was more worried that the motor had just blown then anything else,Smitty

I'v been wondering about that .... We need to take some WOT plug readings and I was wondering if it would be best to pull one motor lanyard and ease it back down or just pull em both at once nad get it over with ........m
Old 12-06-2007, 07:26 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow Very big numbers!!!!
Congrats!!
Old 12-06-2007, 08:57 AM
Registered

I was turning my labbed 32 pitch about 6200 if that has any relevance,Smitty
I just found this thread, and am interested as i am a big fan of the ProCharger and anyone who takes the time to make em work and feel the power of a centrifugal is a friend of mine. My only tid bit is with a 32 @ 6200 my figures is that is about 22.6% slip at 97 MPH. Possible a different prop selection that would allow a slightly lower slip factor would net you the control you are looking for, and possible some speed. Also i would have to think a little bottom work would also help control issues. Just straightening whats there and the prior mentioned sharpening. The last boat i ran with ProChargers was a 33 Scarab it always went 100 + at will, but it too ran a little high slip factor near 17 % till i went with a set of Maximus ( Brett Anderson props ) and then the slip dropped to 11% and the speed shot up. and much better control throughout. I know, Iknow, twin engine boat not apples for apples just food for thought. I give you credit though, your Horsepower head is clearly a couple degrees advanced and running lean to want to take a 272 Baja to that excess.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:41 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

I stay away from 5 blades and low slip numbers,the boat just seems to work the best with high slip,sharp eye with the numbers though. Besides shearing off billet prop shafts the transom wants to lift and the boat ends up bow steering which is a little un-nerving. I am looking at trying some slight prop tweaking in the spring,Smitty
Attached Thumbnails Can a single vee actually air completely out below 100 mph?-dsc04701.jpg   Can a single vee actually air completely out below 100 mph?-dsc04702.jpg   Can a single vee actually air completely out below 100 mph?-dsc04705.jpg  

Old 12-08-2007, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I stay away from 5 blades and low slip numbers,the boat just seems to work the best with high slip,sharp eye with the numbers though. Besides shearing off billet prop shafts the transom wants to lift and the boat ends up bow steering which is a little un-nerving. I am looking at trying some slight prop tweaking in the spring,Smitty
Yikes!
Old 12-08-2007, 11:00 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Smitty ,

Contrats on those #'s !!! I must say you have got to have one of the all time most impresive sleepers. I don't meen that derogatory in any way. Its just that your boat just sitting at the dock.... if I didn't know any better & didn't know what kind of power you were running , well you know the rest of the story .......

Congrats again & dude thats very impresive ! Be safe bro...

Later , Scott
Old 12-09-2007, 10:15 AM

Smitty,
The helmet sounds like a good idea. I have a Lifeline racing jacket hanging in my basement if you want to borrow it next time you chase that 100mph mark. I think the shorty gearcase would do it.

Quick Reply: Can a single vee actually air completely out below 100 mph?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.