Labbed props and throwing blades >

Labbed props and throwing blades

Notices

Labbed props and throwing blades

Old 04-10-2009, 05:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Labbed props and throwing blades

Was told when my boat was originally tested it through blades twice during the testing with labbed bravo's. Also have herd claims of 6-8 mph for people using labbed versus non-labbed prop's. If I could get anything close to that pick up I would love to pusue labbed prop's but am affraid of the blade issue from before. Anyone have oinions on what could be issue with boat throwing blades or potential speed pick up?
Old 04-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

There are many levels of Labbed Finished propellers. The thinest (KILO) versions can throw blades for obvious reasons. The more HP and the heaver the boat combined with aggresive X dimentions causes the blades to flex more.

Standard Lab Finished propellers do not throw blades because they are Labbed. The main reason the blades crack are from leading or trailing edge damage and dings that have not been maintained. The other major reason for blades being lost is internal casting flaws. Voids or hollows or cold rolls formed during the casting process. Propellers throw blades whether they are CNC'd, Labbed, or box stock.

B
Old 04-10-2009, 05:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bbladesprops
There are many levels of Labbed Finished propellers. The thinest (KILO) versions can throw blades for obvious reasons. The more HP and the heaver the boat combined with aggresive X dimentions causes the blades to flex more.

Standard Lab Finished propellers do not throw blades because they are Labbed. The main reason the blades crack are from leading or trailing edge damage and dings that have not been maintained. The other major reason for blades being lost is internal casting flaws. Voids or hollows or cold rolls formed during the casting process. Propellers throw blades whether they are CNC'd, Labbed, or box stock.

B
I like your explanation, but what I was told was that the blades were thrown during initial testing when boat was brand new. Could bad lab finishing also cause issues?

What is your opinion on potential mph or RPM gain? Is it worth it to work with these bravo's or purchase something else to try and tweek?
Old 04-10-2009, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bbladesprops

B
I cracked a prop nearly 3/4 through at the end of the year. It was a boxed Bravo 4 Blade and pushes a 4800LB boat near 90mph. Can this prop be fixed or should it be replaced. My folks are looking at a warranty situation as well. Just want to know my options.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:36 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by RBeyer
I cracked a prop nearly 3/4 through at the end of the year. It was a boxed Bravo 4 Blade and pushes a 4800LB boat near 90mph. Can this prop be fixed or should it be replaced. My folks are looking at a warranty situation as well. Just want to know my options.
Failed to mention that it is from the trailing edge and the prop looks like the day I took it out of the box not even a sand pit.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:21 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

Repairing cracks is looked at negatively by Mercury Racing (main line Merc prop Co. doesn't offer these services). We would rarely weld cracks when I was at Racing. There are more than one reason why.

At BBLADES we will repair cracks depending on the location, length,application and whether the blades have begun to separate or not.

RBeyer, if the prop is less than a year old and it cracked from the trailing edge with no sign of reverse impact damage, there should be warranty. It does depend somewhat on your selling dealer.

stormbauer, Lab Finishing Bravo 1 propellers is a awesome way to achieve additional performance in top speed, boat attitude, or mid range for a very reasonable investment. In 17 years of working in this arena, we have improved thousands or boats performance numbers from weekend boaters to world champion off shore racers with our Lab Finishing processes. When you mention bad Labbing, there are negatives that can be performed during the process that could cause the blades to fail easier for the boats specific set up.