Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Prop Talk (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/prop-talk-165/)
-   -   Need props, question on hubs. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/prop-talk/213973-need-props-question-hubs.html)

eichhoma 07-30-2009 08:00 AM

Need props, question on hubs.

I am getting ready to buy a set of 28P Bravo 1's. I have XR's with the larger prop shaft and am noticing that when looking at new B1 Props, you have a choice between a solid hub or removeable hub. Is there an advantage to one over another? I know I will never downgrade my lower to something with a
1" prop shaft, so should I go with the solid hub? Is there an advantage to a removeable hub? some advice would be appreciated here.

Brett: These will be to replace the 26's I sent you in May. After the engine broke in the rpm's continued to raise. I believe my 26's have a .060 cup in them and are labbed. I am at 5650 at WOT, I would like it to be about 5250... 5300 MAX.... I assume this is the best route to go is a pair of 28's and then have you lab them? thanks. Mark

Philm 07-30-2009 08:48 AM

The solid XR hub that I just put into my Bravo 1 is removable, so not sure what your question is. It just drops in most of the way, you kind of have to tap it the last 1/2". Why not get a hub that you can take out of the prop? What if you throw a blade and need a new prop? Instead of buying another $150 hub, just pull it out of the old one and put it into the new one.

Edit: I see what you mean, you are buying a brand new prop. I would still go with a removable hub.

fireboatpilot 07-30-2009 10:18 AM

My solid hubs also have some rubber strips that I figure give it a slight amount of give to them saving the shafts and blades from a hit of small debris. Also if you chage blades for some reason towing a skier ect it makes changing easy and resale of props which will be able to be used on std bravo shafts or XR shafts. Just my 2cts worth.

Strip Poker 388 07-30-2009 10:01 PM

I heard west marine had the plastic strips??

bbladesprops 08-03-2009 05:35 PM

XR gear cases have the 1.25" prop shaft. This requires the larger HD hub kit. This is a removeable insert in the Mercury line. It is only available in solid stainless steel form.

Some other manufacturers use the same hub/insert as the Mercury hub/insert but they weld them in place. Others use the square bore and the Mercury insert. The suffix for the Bravo propeller with the XR hub is A65. The part number for the for the 28 B1 prop would be 831916A65.

Strip, the flat delrin strips for the HD insert are available separately and we have them in stock. The rubber "snubber" strips for the smaller stailess steel hub for the 1" shaft are not avaiable on a individual basis.

Call me if you have any other questions.

Brett

Strip Poker 388 08-05-2009 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by bbladesprops (Post 2924032)
XR gear cases have the 1.25" prop shaft. This requires the larger HD hub kit. This is a removeable insert in the Mercury line. It is only available in solid stainless steel form.

Some other manufacturers use the same hub/insert as the Mercury hub/insert but they weld them in place. Others use the square bore and the Mercury insert. The suffix for the Bravo propeller with the XR hub is A65. The part number for the for the 28 B1 prop would be 831916A65.

Strip, the flat delrin strips for the HD insert are available separately and we have them in stock. The rubber "snubber" strips for the smaller stailess steel hub for the 1" shaft are not avaiable on a individual basis.

Call me if you have any other questions.

Brett

Brett ,Question? My hub on the 30's that has the strips has slack,clunk clunk, I think its in the hub not the prop.its not as bad as leaving the strips out. Would this be the hub insert or the prop hub hole??? it will fall out when turned downward,Also does hurt anything?

Thanks
Rob:drink:

bbladesprops 08-07-2009 04:33 PM

You are on the high side of the tolerances for the ID of the prop bore and on the low end of the tolerances with the OD of the hub insert. The looseness will not hamper performance or ruin anything.

Don't laugh but, take 1"-2" masking tape and wrap it around the hub insert 2-3 times. Press insert back into propeller bore and WALA........problem fixed.

Brett