Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Prop Talk (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/prop-talk-165/)
-   -   #6 prop help (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/prop-talk/214761-6-prop-help.html)

OkieTunnel 08-11-2009 09:06 PM

#6 prop help

I have been advised to try some 5 blades to decrease transom lift on my boat. A buddy loaned me some 5 blades off another boat (he is a wholesaler) but not sure the exact size. I need about 16.5 by 33. The numbers on these props are: 10-33-05 C 18 Deg. 11426 I assume they are 33's with 18 degrees of rake but cant tell the diameter by the numbers. I will run them and that will tell me if 5 blades are going to settle the transom down but if they do I want to have a starting point to know what the next prop size to try will be. Thanks.

WildWarrior 08-12-2009 08:01 AM

The more blades the more transom lift ,the blades will continue to try and find the surface thus lifting transom.The same goes for larger diameter props the more diameter the faster the prop seeks the top of the water as well.

For our set up and x once running mid to high 140s 5 blades have always goten squirly lifting transom without the addition of a 1/2" spacer. Then the trade off is a boat that is dragging a ton of water and never reaching full rpm!

Good luck!

Brad Zastrow 08-12-2009 08:44 AM

I ran 16.5 x 35 five blades on a 35 Motion with sixes with great success. They are much smoother without that vibration the four blades have. I ran that boat 155 mph.

Dueclaws 08-12-2009 10:34 AM

In which direction are you turning the props? This can have an effect on transom lift.
Due

Brad Zastrow 08-12-2009 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Elite Marine (Post 2930385)
Always adding 10 MPH to your numbers...:party-smiley-004:

That was on Grass Lake in about one mile from the no wake zone. GPS with recall!! Four people in the boat. Props turning in. Cats guys have no need to lie.... That boat was crazy fast.

WildWarrior 08-12-2009 12:38 PM

We also turn our props in, and out of multiple props tested our particular set up hands down handles high speeds best with a
3 1/4" X dimension and at least a 17" diameter 4 blade prop.

Taking out diameter helps with stern lift as well!

Brett at BBlades is sharp as hell and can more than likely nail down your set up the first time!

Dueclaws 08-12-2009 12:55 PM

Not crazy fast, but turn my props in also.

OkieTunnel 08-12-2009 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Dueclaws (Post 2930393)
In which direction are you turning the props? This can have an effect on transom lift.
Due

Props are turning in. Out would make it worse! X is at 3 inches which is ok to a smidge low on Motions. Motors are a little too far forward which is the real problem. Measured the diameter of my loaners tonight...16.5. They should be exactly what I am looking for as a starting point. Thanks all. I will let u know how much of a difference it made after the weekend.

Coolerman 08-13-2009 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by OkieTunnel (Post 2930780)
Props are turning in. Out would make it worse! X is at 3 inches which is ok to a smidge low on Motions. Motors are a little too far forward which is the real problem. Measured the diameter of my loaners tonight...16.5. They should be exactly what I am looking for as a starting point. Thanks all. I will let u know how much of a difference it made after the weekend.

5 blade props give more transom lift than 4 blades, but you can get 5 blades with higher rakes which give more BOW lift. I think merc has some 21* rake props now. Give brett at BBlades a call, he knows his stuff.