Notices

Solas Prop

Old 04-05-2011, 08:06 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

I should add to my post above.
We "do" have experience with these propellers from a repair stand point. BBLADES does not sell Solas products. We have done very little testing other than customer input of the propellers we have repaired.
As a propeller guy for the last 20 years what I can tell you is Solas is a mid price point propeller. The geometry is decent but the consistancy suffers. We have had some issues with the propellers matching.
Anyway, what I like about the product is you can find something to fit a unusual application often when a major manf. might no longer carry it.

BBLADES
Old 04-05-2011, 08:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your in put on this,maybe someday BBLADES will make a ss prop for us older volvo 270,280,290aq guys
Old 04-05-2011, 10:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bbladesprops
mattyboy,

I don't have any experience with these props but I ran the numbers too.
Actually the slip with the 21 would be -3.12 not -.031. As you know, impossible.
With a 23P number the slip would be 5.85%, a incredible number and for that hull.
Were these props ever pitch read via computer aid?

I think there may be a tach, gear ratio or speed number slightly off.

However, sounds like the props run great.

Brett
Brett, I ran the props on several different boats using an online calc we avg'd around 7 to 8 percent which on the calc shows .07 the tach was tested and with my eyes it could be give or take 50 rpms. also all the classic guys running them have close to the same results

the props are almost 16 inches in dia. and were marked a 21 pitch. large surface area ,probably some cup , but I never had the pitch actually tested. I was so happy with the ride and speed I didn't bother. I had a spinnelli custom and tried a hill custom the solas performed better and was not as much $$$.

Brett i always wondered how dia. is figured into the calc formula? I would imagine the pitch numbers are a tad understated.

this is the calc I usually use

http://www.rbbi.com/folders/prop/propcalc.htm

Old 04-05-2011, 10:20 PM
Registered

Brett, I forgot this . I also got in early with Randy and I did get some of the tweaked testing props from the earlier stages of production. The later props were alittle differnt in shape. The hubs were also not an issue like they were on the volvo ultras in stock form.