Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Prop Talk
How much should rpms change from no trim to full trim >

How much should rpms change from no trim to full trim

Notices

How much should rpms change from no trim to full trim

Old 02-24-2014, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

What sydways and4bus eluded to was that it's really point less. While running, too much will loose speed and eventually blow out.

I found this if you can't eyeball a good limit distance. You should know where your drive is per indicator regardless of trim limit.

http://www.mercstuff.com/trim_limit.htm

Last edited by nailit; 02-24-2014 at 09:18 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shalom
Yes.. And thats the info I am trying to figure out..... What is the measurement for the outdrives... How far should they extend... What is too much to where they are being damaged so to speak...I know that they aren't extending enough now.. Whether the measurement is in rpms or from bottom of hull out in inches.. What ever is the proper why to make sure they are correct and not over or under extended...
two things don't run WOT fully trimmed down that is dangerous, not every boat will do it but it can bow steer and spinout, and you will be starting a rooster tail past the highest trim you should be running at for best speed, unless you are really trimmed up and throwing a big rooster tail you shouldn't be hurting the u-joints.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trim her till she losses speed.... Then knock back a bump or till it picks back up.... If you feel safe like that... Mark you indicators. Next time the boat is out st them on the mark to be sure it's acceptable..
Old 02-24-2014, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mptrimshop
Trim her till she losses speed.... Then knock back a bump or till it picks back up.... If you feel safe like that... Mark you indicators. Next time the boat is out st them on the mark to be sure it's acceptable..
I will make a note of this also.. But I did just find a site that said the limit should be set with the total measurement of the trim ram extended to 21 3/4 inches...This is a good starting point for me.. I will reset the limit switches to this measurement and see what happens. Then I will use your method to mark the indicators when I get them repaired to see the difference....its a start....
Old 02-24-2014, 10:21 PM
Registered

Every boat is different.... Ask a friend that has had lot if wheel time in a similar setup. To take your boat fir a ride. Watch him closely!!! Remember how the boat feels when he is driving. Hen it comes to trim you will learn how to feel it.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:13 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mptrimshop
This is a good advice. In many larger sport boats, you will vent the propellers before a dangerous boat attitude will occur. The point in which the venting begins is a touch beyond your best max trim position.
In smaller lighter applications you might be able to trim beyond a comfort zone. In other word the boat can get to loose in the bow and become dangerous.
Besides marking the indicators at the full trim sweet spot, I usually put the drives at neutral while on the trailer and mark this spot as well.
Also, don't use the full trim best speed mark for every boat load and water condition. You need to adjust the trim to fit each rpm and water condition. Seat time will help you a bunch.
Take your time and enjoy the learning curve.
The 21.75" number is a max extension limit not what any particular boat might need.

Brett
Old 02-26-2014, 04:48 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Do you have a "trailer" button that overrides the limit switch? If so trim up with that until the boat loses speed. There's a lot more to it as Brett wrote about.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:04 AM
Registered

Yes great advise Brett .... When I first got my boat I marked neutral too. In time it will become natural.... As Brett said ...I use marks as advise not rule. Different conditions will warrant different settings. Once you feel the boat run good and fast.... You will remember the feeling. Soon you will be hardly looking to your indicators I normal conditions.