Single Vee's with Aggressive X-Dimension >

Single Vee's with Aggressive X-Dimension

Notices

Single Vee's with Aggressive X-Dimension

Old 10-12-2016, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Single Vee's with Aggressive X-Dimension

This is as much as a discussion on general setups as it is mine specifically.

I consider my setup pretty lucky having not changed a thing since the maiden voyage.

27 Excalibur Vee, Notch Transom, 19.5" X with -1 Imco Lower. Prop shaft is just less than 2" below the keel.

I am running 79-80 MPH at 5000 +/- 50 RPM with a stock LH 28P Bravo on a 1.5 drive. That makes the slip pretty darn good for the shaft height in my opinion. I am concerned about throwing blades, drive wear etc. although for the efficiency of this setup (525 HP est) something has to give.

Honestly, I wasn't sure this setup was even going to plane but somehow it does and with the lowest trim setting being almost neutral.

I will try a 26 at some point, would like to see what a cleaver style prop does and have seen some bravo cats running what looks like outboard style cleavers.

Any experience out there?
Old 10-12-2016, 10:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TxHawk

I consider my setup pretty lucky having not changed a thing since the maiden voyage.

27 Excalibur Vee, Notch Transom, 19.5" X with -1 Imco Lower. Prop shaft is just less than 2" below the keel.

I am running 79-80 MPH at 5000 +/- 50 RPM with a stock LH 28P Bravo on a 1.5 drive. That makes the slip pretty darn good for the shaft height in my opinion. I am concerned about throwing blades, drive wear etc. although for the efficiency of this setup (525 HP est) something has to give.

Honestly, I wasn't sure this setup was even going to plane but somehow it does and with the lowest trim setting being almost neutral.

I will try a 26 at some point, would like to see what a cleaver style prop does and have seen some bravo cats running what looks like outboard style cleavers.

Ad skip and pictures.

Old 10-13-2016, 02:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What slip are you looking for, that looks like 9% on a calculator which is pretty low for a V. I run a similar X on a 28 nordic, and my slip is twice that.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:59 AM
Registered

I am not necessarily looking to improve on slip. I am more interested in knowing how if there are other styles of props that might last longer or be better suited for this application.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:12 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The only other cleaver style bravo prop I've heard people try is a hydro p5. And nobody can ever plane with them . I have a high x cat and run standard 4 blade bravos. A 5blade will be harder on drives
Old 10-13-2016, 07:47 AM
Registered

See props on this bravo cat.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...fi-o67374.html
Old 10-13-2016, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

^^^ I like that cat
Old 10-13-2016, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts

19 1/2 x w/ -1 = 1 5/15 prop shaft cl.

how far from the drain plug is the leading edge of the prop ?

i'd like to see video of the drive at speed, w/ the notch you may be close to 4 feet off the transom and running in very clean water
that by the time reaches the drive could be 4 inches deep ( makes sense to me using the inch for every foot back theory )
Old 10-14-2016, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TxHawk

I will share with you my experience, I have a 28' straight bottom conventional deep V no notch on a one off extension box. My propshaft is .5" below the bottom and 44.5" back from the transom to the leading edge of the prop. I have ran 4 and 5 blade props (standard bravos, the round ear hydromotive q4x?, maximusus, p5x) and while my slip is no where near yours with the 4 blade (20% +-) with a Maximus I was in the 11-13 range throughout all of the rpm range. I lowered the box 1" (now 1.5 below) and the slip number didn't change much at all. However I gained the ability to trim alittle bit past neutral where as when it was .5 below the bottom anything over neutral was just making noise. With the prop back so far it has tons of leverage and we actually have been fighting too much bow lift with the boat.

Longevity as far as blades haven't been an issue on the 4 blades but the setup has only been together this season. The 5 blades were loaners from bblades.

If you're slip is infact under 10 I would say your setup is pretty darn good.

What's your target rpm?
Old 10-14-2016, 09:29 PM
Registered

Thanks, good info.

With the current power, I'd like to be able to turn 5200-5300. I think that's another 3-4 MPH.

I have similar experience with trim. i get minor attitude adjustment past neutral. 5-6 on slide. 6-7 is RPM gain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.