Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Prop Talk (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/prop-talk-165/)
-   -   #6 three blades (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/prop-talk/347508-6-three-blades.html)

JRider 06-08-2017 01:32 PM

#6 three blades

So if theoretically the less blades the faster...why is there so few people running 3 blades?

I would like to try a set on my boat as it does not like the transom lift of 5 blades, 4 blades are not bad, wondering if 3 blades would be the ticket.

bbladesprops 06-08-2017 05:22 PM

Awesome question.

I could write a book on this one.
3 blades still have their place in performance boating. However, today's larger horsepower's and boat designs have become more conducive to multiple blade configurations.
Manufacturers need to invent new things too so 4,5,6 and 7 blades came along. On the right deep V a 3 blade may still be faster at WOT than anything else.

​​​​​​​Brett

check300 06-08-2017 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by bbladesprops (Post 4560515)
Awesome question.

3 blades still have their place in performance boating. However, today's larger horsepower's and boat designs have become more conducive to multiple blade configurations.
Manufacturers need to invent new things too so 4,5,6 and 7 blades came along. On the right deep V a 3 blade may still be faster at WOT than anything else.

Brett

A three blade was definitely best on my 30' Checkmate. Brett im sure you recall modifying 3 blade cleavers to a round ear chopper style for me.

kreed 06-09-2017 07:21 AM

I also think that most people set their boat up for the best "all around" functioning propeller. Not for top speed only... A 4 blade will hole shot better and have a better cruising speed than a 3 blade, making it a better choice for the "all around" boater..... but a 3 blade will definitely top end the best.

JRider 06-09-2017 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by bbladesprops (Post 4560515)
Awesome question.

​​​​​​​Brett

"like"

check300 06-09-2017 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by kreed (Post 4560606)
I also think that most people set their boat up for the best "all around" functioning propeller. Not for top speed only... A 4 blade will hole shot better and have a better cruising speed than a 3 blade, making it a better choice for the "all around" boater..... but a 3 blade will definitely top end the best.

On my 30 I was only interested in the big end.😁

bbladesprops 06-09-2017 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by check300 (Post 4560525)
A three blade was definitely best on my 30' Checkmate. Brett im sure you recall modifying 3 blade cleavers to a round ear chopper style for me.

Was it 1998 while I was at Merc Racing. That was our first round eared 3 blades and they were done for a Checkmate. Or was it BBLADES days?
We've done so many round ears now on 3,4 and 5 blades. We're doing a set of 4 blades right now for a Black Thunder. 3rd one in the last year.

Brett

check300 06-09-2017 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by bbladesprops (Post 4560641)
Was it 1998 while I was at Merc Racing. That was our first round eared 3 blades and they were done for a Checkmate. Or was it BBLADES days?
We've done so many round ears now on 3,4 and 5 blades. We're doing a set of 4 blades right now for a Black Thunder. 3rd one in the last year.

Brett

It was actually in 2001. Dennis K was my contact. We had rigged a 30' Checkmate with a single #6 and big power. You subsequently did a couple more for me at Bblades.

JRider 06-09-2017 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by bbladesprops (Post 4560641)

Brett

Could you do this to my 4 blades to give me more bow lift? My props are 16.25 diameter, does this reduce the diameter?

bbladesprops 06-09-2017 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by check300 (Post 4560646)
It was actually in 2001. Dennis K was my contact. We had rigged a 30' Checkmate with a single #6 and big power. You subsequently did a couple more for me at Bblades.

I remember. It is the prop I was thinking of. I had my dates wrong. Dennis and I shared a office. He had a Polaroid of that prop hanging on the wall till the day he passed.
Awesome!

Brett
​​​​​​​