Herring Props

Notices

Herring Props

Old 06-24-2019, 01:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Herring Props

Just curious, why it seems you don't see many Hering props on bravo boats. Is it just me??

Last edited by Got Cigs; 06-24-2019 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-24-2019, 02:13 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 249 Likes on 125 Posts

I can tell you why I didn't buy a herring...according to brett at bblades I can get the same or better performance from a different brand for a fraction of the cost...I'd love to have one just to say I have a herring prop but I'm not going to spend that kind of loot just for a name...personal preference I guess lol
Old 06-24-2019, 03:07 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Full staggered Fountain Bravo boats were dialed in from the factory with Hering props, for the most part. Great props, very fast and thin but prone to cracking and/or losing a blade or two. Maximus is a good alternative trade off is lose a few MPH. The Maximus are less $ than the Herings.

Last edited by VoodooRob; 06-25-2019 at 06:02 AM.
Old 06-24-2019, 03:27 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

You won't get Hering performance from a Maximus, nor will it be less money. A set of Hering 5 blades are $3500. A labbed set of Maximus props will run you well over $4000. My boat ran its best speed with Herings in salt water, 90.5 mph. A set of Maximus labbed props on my boat in fresh water- 82 mph, in salt water 85 but different Maximus props. Not apples to apples, but no way salt water is good for 7 mph over my best speed in Lake Michigan. Now, the herings are very difficult to get on plane. The Maximus props hop on plane, with very little work, with everything there is a trade off. I like my Maximus props, but they are not even close to Herings.

Herings are great props. When I was looking for props for my boat, I talked to a few racers. All said, nothing will give to top end like Hering. Not, Hydromotive, or custom labbed Merc props. I regret selling the Herings I bought, because I couldn't get on plane with them. Now that I've learned the boat, I bet I could!

Last edited by endeavour32; 06-24-2019 at 04:10 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:49 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by BBYSTWY
I can tell you why I didn't buy a herring...according to brett at bblades I can get the same or better performance from a different brand for a fraction of the cost...I'd love to have one just to say I have a herring prop but I'm not going to spend that kind of loot just for a name...personal preference I guess lol
Makes sense. They don't seem to be too much more than bravo, but fair argument.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:53 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by VoodooRob
Full staggered Fountain Bravo boats were dialed in from the factory with Hering props, for the most part. Great props, very fast and thin but prone to cracking and/or losing a blade or two. Maximus is a good alternative trade off is lose a few MPH. The Maximus are less $ than the Herings.
True, they seem to be a little more common on the staggered applications. I think quite a few Gladiators have them too. Is it more common for 5 or 6 blade Herings to throw blades vs. the 4 blades? Ive also read about Bravo 1's throwing blades too.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:55 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by endeavour32
You won't get Hering performance from a Maximus, nor will it be less money. A set of Hering 5 blades are $3500. A labbed set of Maximus props will run you well over $4000. My boat ran its best speed with Herings in salt water, 90.5 mph. A set of Maximus labbed props on my boat in fresh water- 82 mph, in salt water 85 but different Maximus props. Not apples to apples, but no way salt water is good for 7 mph over my best speed in Lake Michigan. Now, the herings are very difficult to get on plane. The Maximus props hop on plane, with very little work, with everything there is a trade off. I like my Maximus props, but they are not even close to Herings.

Herings are great props. When I was looking for props for my boat, I talked to a few racers. All said, nothing will give to top end like Hering. Not, Hydromotive, or custom labbed Merc props. I regret selling the Herings I bought, because I couldn't get on plane with them. Now that I've learned the boat, I bet I could!
Did your Herings have the Flared or Straight diffuser ring? Good info tho from the racers you've talked too.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:55 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have 6 blade herrings on my 32 fountain...there is a combination to get on plane and the water can't be rough until it is up and running.i don't think they respond well around docks either but they are on there for top speed.