Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Prop Talk (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/prop-talk-165/)
-   -   Mercury stopped making 34 Bravo1 props, (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/prop-talk/367322-mercury-stopped-making-34-bravo1-props.html)

SkiDoc 07-06-2020 03:24 PM

Mercury stopped making 34 Bravo1 props,

According to Teague, Mercury stopped producing greater pitches than 32 in their Bravo line. I don’t know what is supposed to replace them? I know they have started making 600hp cleavers for bravo style drives but I think retail on them is 4 or 6k per prop. Looks like they are making some new designs with the high performance outboards in mind but I don’t know how they compare.
I have a DCB 29 with twin Ilmor 625’s and the boat came with 32 Hering 6 blades which work well but are too thin for boating here at Lake Cumberland where we have nothing but logs floating everywhere. I looked on Herings website and they do make some 4 blades which I might just have to try?

VoodooRob 07-06-2020 04:21 PM

You have tried Maximus 5 blades?

SkiDoc 07-06-2020 07:59 PM

No not yet. Probably a good bet to work. Most users of the same powered 29’s reported the best overall performance with the bravo 1’s which are less expensive and easier on drives.

Cap'm Kurt 07-06-2020 11:45 PM

Agree SkiDoc. Often other high performance, much much more expensive props are recommended, but It's very hard to beat the Bravo 1 for all around use. Reversing, good grip when idling around or docking, cruising speeds, and close enough WOT speeds,

Merc hit it on the nose with these props - that's why there's a milliion of the 26's and 28's out there.

What's Interesting, although they had a few less mph top end, I've run 26's that were 2-3 mph faster than the 28's at mid rpm cruising with average boat loads. surprised me, but just less slip at those speeds i presume. Not sure if the blade area is bigger on the 26's ??

ALL_IN! 07-07-2020 07:45 AM

I spent a lot of money to get 34's to work properly on a 35 Fountain (likely a different issue than you might experience). Once up and going, they were very fast - but getting there took a lot of effort. BBlades did all of my work. Have you called Brett to see if he has any?

VoodooRob 07-07-2020 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by SkiDoc (Post 4746936)
No not yet. Probably a good bet to work. Most users of the same powered 29’s reported the best overall performance with the bravo 1’s which are less expensive and easier on drives.

The Maximus are a "heavy" prop compared to the 6 blade Hering for sure, I run them both. Brett at BBlades has a 4 blade prop of his design called the 4 Speed and it looks like he offers it in larger sizes up to 34 on his website.

DiamondPerformance 07-07-2020 10:41 AM

I have a set of bravo 35 pitch, I would sell.

SkiDoc 07-07-2020 10:43 AM

I called and left a message with BBlades yesterday. They said they had several employees on vacation this week and have not been able to get in touch.