Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Prop Talk (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/prop-talk-165/)
-   -   1988 Formula 223LS - 4Blade TP Hustler 21P Aluminum, can I do better? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/prop-talk/368625-1988-formula-223ls-4blade-tp-hustler-21p-aluminum-can-i-do-better.html)

SPRTN308 09-23-2020 08:57 AM

1988 Formula 223LS - 4Blade TP Hustler 21P Aluminum, can I do better?

Hi everyone. Got back into boating this year after a few years off after the last boat of 10 years was destroyed by a structure collapse.

Anyway, discovered the old formulas, and picked up a 1988 Formula 223L with the 7.4L Bravo package, and just like everyone else, want better performance.

It came with a 21P mirage (pre-mirage plus) and will do around 56 or so, just over 4800 with 2 adults and 2 kids. However, I don't have much in the way of trim without porpoising.

SO, I picked up a cheap used Turning Point aluminum Hustler 4 blade, with hub kit for $100CDN, and with that prop, my planing speed is great, I get 56 on GPS at 4600 with 2 adults, 2 kids, 200 lbs of gear, and at least a 1/2 tank of fuel.

Can I really do any better with a 21P rev 4, or, would there be value in getting my 21p Mirage worked over to be more like the mirage+?

I know there isn't much talk on this site about the turning points simply due to the nature of the boats, but, did I find the magical cheap best all around performance prop or would I see an improvement with a rev 4 at this point?

Thanks.

Trash 09-23-2020 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by SPRTN308 (Post 4758519)
Hi everyone. Got back into boating this year after a few years off after the last boat of 10 years was destroyed by a structure collapse.

Anyway, discovered the old formulas, and picked up a 1988 Formula 223L with the 7.4L Bravo package, and just like everyone else, want better performance.

It came with a 21P mirage (pre-mirage plus) and will do around 56 or so, just over 4800 with 2 adults and 2 kids. However, I don't have much in the way of trim without porpoising.

SO, I picked up a cheap used Turning Point aluminum Hustler 4 blade, with hub kit for $100CDN, and with that prop, my planing speed is great, I get 56 on GPS at 4600 with 2 adults, 2 kids, 200 lbs of gear, and at least a 1/2 tank of fuel.

Can I really do any better with a 21P rev 4, or, would there be value in getting my 21p Mirage worked over to be more like the mirage+?

I know there isn't much talk on this site about the turning points simply due to the nature of the boats, but, did I find the magical cheap best all around performance prop or would I see an improvement with a rev 4 at this point?

Thanks.

Personally I would ditch the aluminum 4 blade. If you went to a Rev 4 I would get it in 19" pitch. It has a LOT more blade area. A 21" Rev 4 would load your motor like a 23" Mirage. I know 19" pitch for the Rev 4 sounds low but I think you will like the overall performance. Won't be the fastest, but is great in a lot of other areas.