Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Prop Talk (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/prop-talk-165/)
-   -   Prop suggestions Ol 37 GTX (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/prop-talk/370674-prop-suggestions-ol-37-gtx.html)

Peter Oberg84 03-06-2021 03:39 AM

Prop suggestions Ol 37 GTX

Need advice regarding props for newly rigged Ol 37 GTX

engines are making 1000hp @ 6000rpm and 1000lbft @ 4400rpm
Arneson drives 1.32 gears

The props suggested now are 18x32x18R.

if anyone have a couple of props in that dimension and interested in selling please contact me.

as I looked over what’s listed it seems to be most 17” diameter props for sale, do anyone no if my hull would work with the smaller diameter or have any input as I can be completely wrong an the 18x32x18 props.

I want to bye used props to establish baseline.

I live in Sweden so the market for props are really limited.

grateful for all help I can get
Peter

Griff 03-06-2021 01:05 PM

Your set up is very unique and I haven't seen any other OL's with Arnesons. I think testing props is going to be the only way to get it dialed in.
You could try calling Outerlimits for advice.

Peter Oberg84 03-06-2021 02:45 PM

Guessing props

It’s true, probably a lot of testing is the only way to the best props but I was hoping there are some guys that know the hull and had some input of what the boat wants.

The boat is new to me, never drove it. I bought it last spring from some guy in Danmark and the boat supposed to be in good drivable condition. I couldn’t go look at it in person do to the corona situation so I bought it on pics and videos.

But when I got it both engines where frozen end the blocks had cracked the intercoolers where cracked and so on...

Here I am one year later and doing a makeover looking forward to this summer so I can go boating.

After what I heard the boat has gone 120+ with xr sport masters on its and 1.26 gears with Maximus 15-5/8x34 and that’s how it was when I bought it.

grateful if someone has input or ideas on what the hull wants and recommendations on where to start.

thanks Peter

Unlimited jd 03-06-2021 07:55 PM

There were only a few 37 gtx’s built, but I’d imagine you could use a 37 stiletto with 6’s as a comparative starting point. I only know of one other ol with Arnesons and it’s an sl44 my buddy had built new. Completely different hull

Peter Oberg84 03-09-2021 02:07 PM

So, where are all the Ol experts when you need the...?

Unlimited jd 03-09-2021 06:02 PM

No one has expertise in what your attempting to do. You’re the first to put those drives on that hull, so pave the way. Someone might have an educated guess if you post propshaft height and distance off the transom of the props.

Peter Oberg84 03-10-2021 12:10 AM

Just thought that someone maybe would have some input from the stiletto with #6 drives.

I read somewhere in a thread here on oso that a stiletto with big power and #6, at the time belonging to “thundersone” (maybe misspelled) had some info that when going up from 17” 5 blade 15r to 17,5” 4 blade the boat felt loose and started to porpoise over 110 but when I got back to 17” 5 blade 15r all went away.

thanks
Peter

boostbros 03-10-2021 07:03 AM

we run arnson8s on a slingshot 388 things to note are no bow lift or trim you lower the drives as the hull rises up with speed to keep the props the correct depth also big surfacing props has massive bite offplane so use much caution when shifting into reverse its possible to break the reverse plates you need really good trannys and large u joints that are changed often big blower engines are awesome but around the docks there is a bit of a learning curve to shift on the low point of the blower roll yet not stall it.... we shift and give it a jab of throttle to squirt a bit of fuel in works well

bigfarmer 03-10-2021 09:11 AM

I have a beautiful set of Mercury Racing 17.5x32 5 Blades if you are interested.

Peter Oberg84 03-10-2021 09:28 AM

What rake?