5 blade info needed...  p5x vs max5 vs maximus 5 >

5 blade info needed... p5x vs max5 vs maximus 5

Notices

5 blade info needed... p5x vs max5 vs maximus 5

Old 04-11-2021, 06:41 PM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 5 blade info needed... p5x vs max5 vs maximus 5

If currently running a 30p Bravo1, what pitch Hydromotive p5x would you recommend starting with for my 30 Activator twin step? It's a labbed 30p B1 but IDK what has been done to it since previous owner had it worked.

Also how about the Mercury Max5 or Maximus 5, how do they compare to the p5x? I had a p5x on a previous boat that manueverability was phenomenal and mid range speed was great compared to a B1. Looking primarily for that manueverability and mid range. A mph or 2 or top end is nice but not required

Thanks in advance
Old 06-30-2021, 08:31 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I can only offer a little info on 5 blade props. All my research lead me to order from Bronson Hill in Socal a 30 pitch signature 5 blade prop for my Nordic Rage which is 25' stepped. It is a 502mag with a whipple and turns a labbed 31 hydromotive 4 blade. The P5x is for high X dimension boats,
If I remember right the hydro props give more stearn lift and mercury gives bow lift. I was looking for the same results as you are, cruise/midrange and Bronson himself gave me the 30 pitch recommendation. I will be testing it within the next week or so and can share my results. Hope this helps a little.
Old 06-30-2021, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo 100
Well I can only offer a little info on 5 blade props. All my research lead me to order from Bronson Hill in Socal a 30 pitch signature 5 blade prop for my Nordic Rage which is 25' stepped. It is a 502mag with a whipple and turns a labbed 31 hydromotive 4 blade. The P5x is for high X dimension boats,
If I remember right the hydro props give more stearn lift and mercury gives bow lift. I was looking for the same results as you are, cruise/midrange and Bronson himself gave me the 30 pitch recommendation. I will be testing it within the next week or so and can share my results. Hope this helps a little.
Geo 100 Thanks for the reply.... I'll keep an eye out for your results
Old 06-30-2021, 09:33 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm a huge fan of the Hydromotive p5x. On every boat I have ever put one on, it performs as good or better than a labbed Maximus, and it will be half the price of the labbed Maximus and you get a lifetime warranty. Now the Max 5 prop is a great prop, but they are very expensive, and will need to purchase new, you are not going to find a set used.

If you are currently running a 30 pitch labbed Bravo, I would start with a 27 pitch P5X. This will get you close to what you are turning now.

Good Luck
Old 07-01-2021, 06:41 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

I can share what I have learned. I also run a labbed 30p Bravo 1 on my Donzi 22 Classic. I have a 525 EFI, XR/Imco-2" shorty. The Max five comes out of the Maximus 5 mold and the original pitch number with be X'd out of the casting and the new pitch stamped onto it. The exhaust diffuser flare is completely cut off and I don't know what else they do to modify it. I had high hopes for the Max 5 and was able to try a 27p one. I figured that going from a 30p to a 27p would put me all over the rev limiter of 5,400 RPM but at least I could try it. The results were hugely disappointing. The prop kept my boat glued to the water and I could get no bow lift whatsoever even trimming it to the moon. With no bow lift I could only get 4,700 RPM and of course speed was way down. I'm back to my BBlades 30p Bravo 1 which I really like anyway. Everyone tells me that a 5 blade will reduce top speed but the Max 5 promises to increase it on lightweight smaller single engine boats with over 500 hp, exactly what I have. It didn't work that way on my boat!
Old 07-01-2021, 06:46 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

I was running a labbed 28P bravo on a 30 Superboat. I switched to a 26P maximus. The results were good, plaining, mid and top end. Not sure if it was a coincidence or not but I broke my drive (XR w/ITS) twice over a couple of seasons. The slip was very low with the maximus, and it is a pretty substantial hunk of metal compared to the bravo.
Old 07-01-2021, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

When I had some Max 5's I compared them to the Maximus factory labbed props. The Max 5 is a short tube prop, Maximus props come both ways, The blades on the Max 5 are thinner, more like a Bravo blade vs a typical Maximus blade, there is also less tip cup. If you have a straight bottom boat, I can see where the Max 5 would not be the best option. I really like the Max 5 on my 39 Cigarette, but that boat is stepped and should ride fairly flat. For me they really were not a lot better than the Factory Labbed Maximus I had, but they were a little faster. In all fairness the Maximus props were 15.25" and the Max 5s were 15". I think the extra .25" would have helped the Max 5 perform even better on my boat.

To get back to your point, every single boat will like different props. One guys Activator may love one prop and another guys boat not do great with the same prop. Go to Teagues site and see if he has what you need. They are blowing out all the Hydro props for $500 a prop. If they work, great. If not sell them and you won't lose a penny. I bought a set of 35 P5Xs for my boat this winter from Teague, but I haven't had a chance to test them yet.