Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Restorations & Upgrades
1989 Baja Sport 250 >

1989 Baja Sport 250

Notices

1989 Baja Sport 250

Old 07-24-2012, 04:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great, you do some nice work. Did you clear the boat or did you wet sand it down?
These boats are a good size, not to big to drag the kids around on the tube, and big enough to give a decent ride when the water gets churned up.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:36 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 250 sport
Looks great, you do some nice work. Did you clear the boat or did you wet sand it down?
These boats are a good size, not to big to drag the kids around on the tube, and big enough to give a decent ride when the water gets churned up.
thanks! we wet sanded parts of it and used allot of mcguires deoxidation cream, polish and wax on it. we keep debating going bigger but like you said its almost the perfect size, it works nearly anywhere we want to go and i can tow it with a half ton pickup with no issues.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:50 PM
Registered

Truly An Amazing Transformation! The best feeling I get is from seeing Potential to realizing it! Nice Rig!
Old 07-25-2012, 03:23 PM
Registered

Wow...nice job!!

I've been ripping and tearing on a similar job with a gas tank and stringer replacement, but luckily I caught mine fast enough that rot is limited to the area where the tank was foamed in. The foam absorbed water and rotted all the wood touching it but luckily not more.

I noticed the Lonseal floor in gray. I'm considering the same...how hot does it get on your feet in the sun? Where did you get it?
Old 07-25-2012, 03:32 PM
Registered

its not too bad most days but it can still get hot. i found it on ebay through great lake skipper cheap. they only had the one color and pattern but it worked fine for me. they sell it in 5 and 10 foot lengths but if you call them they will cut whatever you need. i thnk i was around 250 shipped for 7 foot if i remember right. i love the stuff!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LONDECK-COIN...1203ef&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LONDECK-COIN...d461a6&vxp=mtr
Old 07-25-2012, 04:41 PM
Registered

Thanks Regalman...I was considering the same flooring from the same source...way cheaper than ordering from a dealer.

Your pictures give me a better idea of the relative "darkness" of it, and it looks a bit lighter than on their web site. Any idea why they have so much of it?

Sounds like your happy with it despite the occasional hot feet?

Did you use epoxy or contact cement? I'm thinking contact cement is better in case it ever needs to be removed. Have seen opinions either way...

I assume the roll width is 7.5' and they cut to length in the other direction?

Nice work on your project...gives me encouragement, since I'm still cutting and scooping out rotten wood...as you mention by the handful!
Old 07-25-2012, 04:46 PM
Registered

great lakes skipper buys all of the left overs from all of the boat companies. with the bad economy and all of the companies that shut down they have had allot of stuff the last few years, allot of baja stuff. i used outdoor carpet glue, not sure if that was the best stuff to use but the stuff hasnt given me any issues at all. i had bought some cheap diamond plate pattern stuff on ebay advertised for toy haulers the first time. looked great until the heat cuased it to expand and bubble up, i was furious! go after that stuff, super quality and reasonably priced. the 7.5' was more than wide enough for my boat also, i have a 8' beam
Old 07-27-2012, 02:29 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the info regalman4925...I'm going with this flooring from GLS. Wow they have a lot of other goodies...will spend some time poking around for deals.

The pics you posted were very helpful to show the Mrs. what I'm thinking about. And after doing a comparison by putting the Lonseal coupons in the sun, she gave the OK for the gray flooring.

Looks like you're having fun with your project there. I'm still ripping out, but now that much of the bad wood is gone, it's looking a lot more encouraging!!
Old 08-22-2012, 09:40 AM
Registered

Wow, I would have got into the transom rot, and said screw it! You did a great job it turned out really good.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:49 PM
Registered

Received 1,188 Likes on 566 Posts

Nice work!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.