Anyone replace their headliner?? >

Anyone replace their headliner??

Notices

Anyone replace their headliner??

Old 07-27-2012, 06:32 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SHAWNA
I did my Pantera, but I won't ever do it again! I re-carpeted and used weldwood contact adhesive. Just about died in there and still have little brain activity ;o)
It did come out quite nice though.

Wear a respirator!!!!!

Shawn

I guess all Pantera owners think the same, I did the same thing, in the middle of a south FL summer, and your right, almost had to be carried out of the boat.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:59 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rchevelle71
I guess all Pantera owners think the same, I did the same thing, in the middle of a south FL summer, and your right, almost had to be carried out of the boat.
We are a strange breed...but we know how to have fun!
Shawn
Old 07-28-2012, 08:33 AM
Registered

I have a 90 Top Gun and it had some god awful seafoam green carpet in it when I bought it and the headliner looked nasty and had traces of DNA on it.... I pulled all the floor and side carpet as well as the headliner. I have replaced all the carpet and it was full weekend and some change to do. My headliner material just came in and that is on the list for next weekend...cant wait to get into that one.

As far as removing the old carpet I just started pulling it and when it was out I hand sanded it all with 80 block. I tried a D.A. sander and It made too much dust/mess in the air for me.... Just get into it and find you grove.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:23 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Where can I get some headliner material on line?
Old 08-02-2012, 11:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by JUPITER PULSARE
I'm thinking about pulling the carpet off the hull sides also.
I tore the carpet off the hull sides in my cockpit and replaced it with Nautolex vinyl. Looks much more tidy and modern. I prefer to leave the carpet on the cabin sides because I'm thinking it's more cozy and cuts down the noise.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:04 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

The biggest problem with replacing headliners is something called gravity. Checkmates - like may boats - are built with the deck upside down and the headliner installed before the deck goes on. When you do it like that, gravity works in your favor. If your boat is built with the hull and deck glassed together - or you're replacing it on a completed boat - getting the headliner in is a bit more difficult. Same darn problem - gravity. I've tried to reason with Father Physics on this one, but he just won't budge.

And as for the solvents in the cleaners and adhesives, cosmic man!
Old 08-08-2012, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 24 Posts

Here's where my cabin is currently at. It's so hot outside that I can't even consider working on the cabin til winter in Florida!!
Attached Thumbnails Anyone replace their headliner??-parts-sale-013.jpg   Anyone replace their headliner??-checkmate-2800sx-build-021.jpg   Anyone replace their headliner??-checkmate-2800sx-build-029.jpg  

Old 08-25-2012, 10:27 PM
Registered

Default recip blade

I am in the same situation with the headliner dilemma. I might have seen a reciprocating saw blade at Home Depot that was flat and sharp across the front surface, similar to a putty knife. The flat surface is perpendicular to the front of the saw. It is narrow and designed for scraping paint and glue off of a surface. It might work...
Old 10-03-2012, 04:09 PM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 24 Posts

I wonder if a flexible grinding disc on a high speed buffing wheel will work???