Anybody seen this EFI setup for a Pre Vortec 5.7 >

Anybody seen this EFI setup for a Pre Vortec 5.7

Notices

Anybody seen this EFI setup for a Pre Vortec 5.7

Old 09-09-2012, 05:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody seen this EFI setup for a Pre Vortec 5.7

I came across what seems to be a decent price for an Mercruiser EFI setup. And from his description it appears to be for pre vortec heads. I havent seen one of these before and I am having trouble finding any info about it.
I guess my next question would be, is it worth changing from a carb to EFI?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230848707933...84.m1423.l2649
Old 09-09-2012, 09:55 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 682 Posts

Only heard about these... never seen one in the flesh.

Looking at the pics, this should fit an '87-up small block (centerbolt valve covers... but not Vortec). The center intake bolts go in at a defferent angle than the rest. You can drill the openings to make them work with older heads (easy).

This looks like a great set up for something fairly stock. I'd grab it!
Old 09-09-2012, 11:33 AM
Registered

TomZ, It really looks like a good fuel injection system for an old boat. I'm stlll not 100% sure on the exact bolt pattern of the intake bolts. And I agree with you that it appears to have 12 bolts holding it down but I cant make out the center bolt angles. But in his post he says that it will not fit heads with center bolt valve covers. And to my knowledge those heads with center bolt valve covers pre-vortec are the one with different angles in the intake mount. Either way, like you said, i think it is adaptable to either style head bolt angle. Just not to a vortec head.
I'm getting ready to replace the engine in my boat right now (pre87 engine now) and was thinking of just rebuilding that motor, or bumping up to a vortec block.
I'm guessing that there is a chance I would have to have this computer programmed/tuned. Any ideas on where I would go for that?
I have asked him for a few additional pictures to see if I would be able to use my current wire harness coming from the dash or if I would have to make/find an adapter.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Hmmm... maybe not so great. Read this thread:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...-320-efis.html
Old 09-09-2012, 02:31 PM
Registered

Looks like we stumbled across the same thing. Found out the proper term for the motor is the 320 efi. From what I have read there are alot of likes and dislikes. Seems like if it runs good, you are fine, but if it runs bad its hell. There are many posts about people ready to give away these setups for people that need spare parts.
I'm thinking my money might be better spent on a newer style vortec motor. Not sure what an efi setup for this would cost but I am really interested in ditching the carb and going with fuel injection.
I am running an alpha 1 gen 1 setup so I dont really want to put much more than 300hp to it anyway.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its from a mercruiser tempest engine....good set up!1
Old 09-09-2012, 05:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

You could probably make the GM RAM Jet set up work. but then you're getting into custom stuff (which isn't much different than you'd be doing anyway). Simple throttle body injection would also work. Lots of players in that game.

The one on eBay looks like a good piece.

As for the Alpha, they will live with higher horsepower pretty easily. Just treat it well. I've run about 5
Old 09-09-2012, 05:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

You could probably make the GM RAM Jet set up work. but then you're getting into custom stuff (which isn't much different than you'd be doing anyway). Simple throttle body injection would also work. Lots of players in that game.

The one on eBay looks like a good piece.

As for the Alpha, they will live with higher horsepower pretty easily. Just treat it well. I've run about 500 HP through mine back in the day. Light weight helps too.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:51 PM
Registered

Any idea if i would have to change the distributor? I've got an MSD distributor and box that I would like to use if possible.
Any other modifications you guys can think of?
Old 09-09-2012, 10:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by bowsman
Any idea if i would have to change the distributor? I've got an MSD distributor and box that I would like to use if possible.
Any other modifications you guys can think of?
dased on how it fires its injectors you will need the merc distributor..it looks like its missing the fi harness,,may want to ask a few ?? b4 you bid..ask him where is the plug in harness for the ecm..

Last edited by FIXX; 09-09-2012 at 10:15 PM.