fuel tank removal advice >

fuel tank removal advice

Notices

fuel tank removal advice

Old 09-09-2012, 03:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel tank removal advice

upon removal of my center floor i discovered a bad port stringer. have to remove my fuel tank to get a better look, and find out what else may be shot! have tank pumped down. do i just unbot, disconnect fuel fill line.ground and sender wires, and puller out? are there any precautions i need to take to keep from blowing myself up? i just bought this boat last year and already, ready to learn how to do some resto work if i find its worth it or part it out. 85 baja force 280. thanks for any advice. haven't been around boats for 30 years, lots to learn!
Old 09-10-2012, 01:47 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done two fuel tank jobs. Fill it up with water, then drain it using air pressure. Any fuel that was left below the pickup will get skimmed off, and you'll be left with just a bit of water. If you are going to reuse the tank, dry it out before reinstalling. You should be able to remove the sender and see what's going on in there.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:39 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

you have a vent line too. if your just pulling it out you really shouldnt have too many worries, though you may want to take a long knife and cut the foam around the tank before trying to pull it up.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the replies i think you two filled in the missing info. my tank isn't foamed in do you tink i should consider upon re installation?
Old 09-20-2012, 06:53 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

No