Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Restorations & Upgrades (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/restorations-upgrades-285/)
-   -   1990 Sunsation Rocket project (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/restorations-upgrades/290456-1990-sunsation-rocket-project.html)

Sunrocket24 02-24-2013 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Powerquest_Baby!! (Post 3873675)
Let me get this straight...You bought a Go Fast boat but your wife doesnt like to go fast???? How did you get the thumbs up to buy the boat in the first place?

LOL! She wasn't my wife when I bought the boat!

Eventually I have to get her a cruiser but I can still have a fast boat. I hope when her parents step up to the 40ft cruiser they want they will sell me their 32 sundancer for a good price:drink:

Fast Shafts 03-01-2013 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Sunrocket24 (Post 3873595)
Fast Shafts are you guys running the race circuit this year? Would be nice to see a sunny at the races this year!

Unfortunately I'm not going to race much this year due to hurricane Sandy totaling my house. :mad: I am hoping to race in Atlantic City -since that is only 50 miles away.:)
Your project is turning out great!

Sunrocket24 03-02-2013 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Fast Shafts (Post 3877165)
Unfortunately I'm not going to race much this year due to hurricane Sandy totaling my house. :mad: I am hoping to race in Atlantic City -since that is only 50 miles away.:)
Your project is turning out great!

Man that is horrible to hear, my thoughts and prayers still go out for all affected by Sandy.

Sunrocket24 04-29-2013 08:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well only one update so far been out of town so much for work. Today I picked up my new aluminum trailer for the salt water in VA where I will be moving to at the end of June, paid for it back in February but never had time to pick it up. Its a 7200lbs Load Rite (overkill for the 24-7). Found a dealer 3hrs away from me that would take my old trailer on trade, so gave him my old trailer and $1500 cash for the new Load Rite. I think I got a good deal the trailer is fully loaded with all options. I put the boat back under the cover it will be a few more weeks before I un-winterize it and put on all the new goodies I bought for the boat over the winter. I really need to get a camera and not take pictures on my phone.

JerrodGlover 04-29-2013 08:54 PM

I passed you twice today on the express way nice looking boat.

Sunrocket24 04-29-2013 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by JerrodGlover (Post 3915652)
I passed you twice today on the express way nice looking boat.

Thanks! It's a labor of love with this old boat! Today was the first long trip I made with the boat and I was happy with how both the old and new trailer handled at 70mph!

Sunrocket24 05-26-2013 07:16 PM

3 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]501442[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]501443[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]501444[/ATTACH]Well I got the boat in the water this weekend! It was a great weekend on the water! But I found out my transducer is leaking slowly and needs to be pulled and resealed. I left the boat in the water overnight and had some water in the bilge. I was thinking... maybe it was from the threads in the drain plug but no such luck. I got the boat on the trailer and there was a small drip from the transducer and not the plug. So I will be fixing that soon, hope I can do that without pulling the engine again! I only have a picture at the boat ramp Friday and then some of the Gil manifolds I am refinishing for the boat. Didn't think anybody would care about the new trim pump or hydraulic ram for the hatch I installed since they are just direct replacements so no pics of that. I bought a used pair of Gil manifolds and a used pair of risers, (I can't afford new). The manifolds I got have had a little salt use and the factory finish in some areas is just flaking off really bad as you can see in the pictures (I was able to start pulling it off with my bare hands. The risers I got are like new. I will get the manifolds refinished in the next week or so when I have time and then get it installed in the boat! I am so excited to get rid of the stock exhaust in the boat!! Hope everyone is having a great weekend! Thank you to all the Veterans!!!! And thank you to all current Active or Reserve Military Members!!!

Sunrocket24 06-09-2013 05:30 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Well it was a great day today I wanted to get the boat on the water but needed to fix a problem from late last season. My seats are lag bolted to the floor and then side bolted to the side of the boat. Last year I hit a big cruiser wake wrong and ripped the driver seat out of side of the boat, it also did a little damage to the floor lag bolt holes. I just fixed the side bolts last year and noticed two weekends ago when we had the boat out all the lag bolts on my driver seat were loose. So how do you fix stripped out or rotted lag bolt holes in your floor when the boat is small and no way to through bolt them? Here is what you do.
1. Remove seat
2. Enlarge lag bolt holes until you have good wood.
3. Clean up the area and the new enlarged holes.
4. Mix up some resin thickened with filler until it is like peanut butter.
5. Fill and pack enlarged hole with thickened resin.
6. Drill and tap the thickened resin
7. Bolt the seat back in.

This took me just over four hours this afternoon including drying time for resin (and I got a late start because I went and saw the Red Hot Chilli Peppers last night at Orion Fest)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]502336[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]502337[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]502338[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]502339[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]502340[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]502341[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]502342[/ATTACH]

Wet Bowtie 06-10-2013 11:39 PM

The boat is looking great ! the seats in my baja had similar problem. What I did was cut a port hole in the floor between the two seats so I could reach under the floor and through bolt them. Put a nice looking floor cover in and now I always have access. One piece of advice, if you didn't put some kind of silicone or sealent under the seat base and in the bolt holes you should prob do that. That is the reason decks rot out, water get in around all that stuff.

Sunrocket24 06-11-2013 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Wet Bowtie (Post 3940657)
The boat is looking great ! the seats in my baja had similar problem. What I did was cut a port hole in the floor between the two seats so I could reach under the floor and through bolt them. Put a nice looking floor cover in and now I always have access. One piece of advice, if you didn't put some kind of silicone or sealent under the seat base and in the bolt holes you should prob do that. That is the reason decks rot out, water get in around all that stuff.

Thanks! Yep everything I have removed or replaced has been re-sealed. I am finding out since the boat is so old the original sealant has gone bad on a lot of stuff I havent removed or replaced yet. So I'm going to do a complete tear down and re-rig of the boat after this season.