Helm / steering shaft adapter >

Helm / steering shaft adapter

Notices

Helm / steering shaft adapter

Old 04-14-2013, 07:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helm / steering shaft adapter

Not sure if anyone has gone through this yet? I just start removing the existing cable type steering system for the external Mayfair steering upgrade when I noticed that the hole is bigger at the helm. I probably going to have a piece made up (316) that will match the hole of the original system unless someone knows of something on the market. Checked Cpperformance but nothing. Thanks in advance. Andy
Old 04-15-2013, 09:08 AM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you talking about something like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seastar-Helm...801#vi-content
Attached Thumbnails Helm / steering shaft adapter-b1dzl9wbwk%7E%24-kgrhqiokiie-thwfyoebmeowtgirg%7E%7E_12.jpg  
Old 04-15-2013, 02:01 PM
Registered

Ok, looks like it's time to pay for this so I can post pictures. I have a game plan once I have this done i'll post pic's.

On another note. I have a graduation at Fort Sill May 10th to attend to. Is that a little early for anything going on at one of the lakes? Another words, should I bring my boat? I imagine the water is probably too cold yet for swimming.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

Be careful the Ebay part won't fit as its designed for a sea star helm which is for manual hydraulic steering and I believe your boat uses a Charlynn style helm. Many mechanical steering manufactures all have different style bezels which makes this a chore for some boat owners. Just some industry knowledge to try and keep you out of trouble with a purchase.

Best Regards
Old 04-19-2013, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by abmotorman
Not sure if anyone has gone through this yet? I just start removing the existing cable type steering system for the external Mayfair steering upgrade when I noticed that the hole is bigger at the helm. I probably going to have a piece made up (316) that will match the hole of the original system unless someone knows of something on the market. Checked Cpperformance but nothing. Thanks in advance. Andy
Food for thought I could give you the inside hole dimensions and the bolt pattern and you could then measure your boat for the O.D you need if you decide to fab one if that helps? Just another thought.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 417 Likes on 246 Posts

I am in the process of switching from cable steering to full Zeiger hydraulic steering. The hole in the dash was to big for the hydraulic helm to cover. I made a 1/4" aluminum plate to cover the hole and mount the new steering. I just polished it and hopefully will be installing it tomorrow. I took the 1" aluminum round plate and milled it down to fill the existing dash hole. I also made a 1/4" aluminum plate to go on the back of the dash for even more support. I can't post pictures but can email you some if you would like.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:59 AM
Registered

Doing similar. Got the router out chamfered both sides of the hole. Cut a piece of wood. Layed up resin after resin layers. Finished with filler. Steering wheel side I kept flush. Back side I spread out wider. Made 2 aluminum pieces .125 one for each side. Decided on powder coating. What I didn't expect is taking swimplateform, cleets, vents and throttle/shifters for powder coating.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:02 PM
Registered

[ATTACH=CONFIG]501100[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]501101[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]501102[/ATTACH]

Just a follow up. Layed up glass / wood piece. Filled until flat. Cut new hole. Then made aluminum plate for both sides. Way overkill. Mayfair system was pretty easy to install overall.
Attached Thumbnails Helm / steering shaft adapter-20130416_163847.jpg   Helm / steering shaft adapter-img_7660.jpg   Helm / steering shaft adapter-20130517_183005_resized.jpg  

Helm / steering shaft adapter-20130517_174630_resized.jpg  

Last edited by abmotorman; 05-20-2013 at 04:05 PM. Reason: added pic