Converting a 350 to Diesel

Notices

Converting a 350 to Diesel

Old 08-19-2013, 07:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting a 350 to Diesel

Hi Guys,

Am looking to repower my existing 350 Mercruiser with a Diesel, am wondering what does it involve. I saw a 5 Cylinder (Guess is an Isuzu engine but still haven`t research it much on ebay for 8k$)

Before you guys start with am never gonna get my money back with the swap and etc, am currently spending roughly 500$ of gas per day when am using the boat, Diesel here is about 4$/G and Gas 6$/G, my current setup cost about 85$/Hour to run. The boat is a 240 Chapparral Signature that weight about 7500 lbs , with a bravo 3 stern

So here's what has to stay or i wish would stay in place... Transom is brand spanking new on the boat , got it install last year at the end of the season, so it has to fit on the Bravo 3 Transom (If possible)

I will do the swap myself, got a very good background in Mecanic + Bodyshop and electronic so that part isn't gonna be the issue.

What am wondering, what would fit in there, I don't think an inline 6 would fit as the motor will be too long compare to the v-8.

My options am looking it, QSD 2.8 V6, That 5 Cylinder Mercruiser, or Getting a Volvo Engine in there. To be honest the third option would make the swap a lot more cheaper since there plenty more Volvo diesel engine on the market than there is for Merc. but going this way, i saw there adapter plates but would it work on the Merc Transom or am getting myself in a lot of fitting?

Any thought would be appreciated, looking to get into that mess this winter.

Thanks guys.

D.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you considered a marinized GM Duramax?

http://www.proboat.com/gm-duramax-power.html