89 scarab 21 excel rebuild >

89 scarab 21 excel rebuild

Notices

89 scarab 21 excel rebuild

Old 08-20-2013, 01:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 scarab 21 excel rebuild

this is what i started with last October. I picked up an 89 21' scarab excel for some summer fun. I figured after some work I'd have a fun little wave crusher to cruise around the local lakes here in iowa.

this was after stripping off all the decals, not fun at all.

I have buffed out most of the gel coat but I plan on repainting. I need to get some more updated pics tomorrow. I've started to gut the cockpit. So I'll have to get some good pics of that. the engine is out and will not be going back in. I have a thread going on my quest for everything needed for an LS swap. I'll be running a 6.0 ls engine and I'm trying to get my hands on a bravo 1 to replace my alpha. I have recovered all the vinyl on the padding around the cockpit already. Tons more work to do.

Last edited by sdg0080; 08-21-2013 at 04:40 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:56 AM
Registered

sorry I forgot I did have a newer one saved as well. as you can see all side decals not needed have been removed.

P.S. never mind the mess from cleaning out the boat...lol

Last edited by sdg0080; 08-20-2013 at 01:59 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:08 AM
Registered

Yes I was able to enjoy using it a few times this year. however the engine hydrolocked and bent my #8 connecting rod. both heads are cracked, sadly I believe the heads were that way when I picked it up. But hey we don't buy a project boat not expecting things to break right? I pulled the motor the other week and tore it all down. Its sad as the 350 mag only had a couple hundred hours on it. I can still see the cross hatching in the bores. I know I could rebuild it for pretty cheap but, I want something I have made my own. who doesn't have a small block or big block in their boat? So thats why I'm going after an LS engine. I just want something most people have never seen before. I'm a car guy at heart always have been always will be. I'm not one to leave something stock as it drives me insane...lol It was a lot of fun while it ran, however I made a few new friends when it decided it no longer wanted to run. thank god most boat people are a pretty friendly bunch. all said and done, I could easily just buy a new boat for what I will have in it. But where is the fun in that? I get to teach my kids about making things with their own two hands and the pride that comes with that.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:27 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Look around for a 5.3 in your local junk yards...should be cheap and plentiful....but if you really want a mover...look harder for a 6.0 LQ9 out of a 2000-2006 Escalade or Yukon Denali. I have a 05 Escalade with that motor and it snatches that 3 ton beast around like a rag doll. Big torque and big power right out of the box. If you go the 6.0 route....consider converting to Bravo because if you like to play hard the 6.0 will rip an Alpha apart in no time.

Have fun with this.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:46 AM
Registered

I've been looking for either the LQ4 or the LQ9, im not too picky...lol I really want a bravo but if I cant find one cheap then it will have to wait another year. I have an 05 avalanche with just the 5.3 and it pulls my boat without any issues, so thats why I'm falling in love with these LS engines. not to mention see the HP numbers people are pulling out of stock bottom ends is just insane. I may have a lead on a complete bravo set up for next to nothing, I just have to cross my fingers and hope the cabin cruiser is the right vintage for the bravo... the owner has no clue what year it is. basically if I can get to it I can more or less have it. Or should I say can get it out. a small group of trees have decided they like growing all around this boat and through the trailer.

you have any information on that crank driven pump you've talked about? how is that set up?
Old 08-20-2013, 11:26 PM
Registered

sadly this was all pretty much unplanned. I figured since I have the motor out I might as well work on gutting it. I need to replace the rear bulkhead as it is wet in the dead center of it. So next update I should have of my engine bay and bulk head work. And the fun begins...you can see all the nice new vinyl work i did on the pad around the cockpit. the hardest part was removing a few thousand staples.

Last edited by sdg0080; 08-21-2013 at 04:41 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:27 AM
Registered

I'm thinking of pulling the dash out as well and then the front bulk head and just starting from scratch. I'm wondering if they used marine grade plywood on all the panels? Odds are I believe they did. Looks like I'll be stopping at a lumber yard soon enough.
Old 08-21-2013, 06:28 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by sdg0080
I've been looking for either the LQ4 or the LQ9, im not too picky...lol I really want a bravo but if I cant find one cheap then it will have to wait another year. I have an 05 avalanche with just the 5.3 and it pulls my boat without any issues, so thats why I'm falling in love with these LS engines. not to mention see the HP numbers people are pulling out of stock bottom ends is just insane. I may have a lead on a complete bravo set up for next to nothing, I just have to cross my fingers and hope the cabin cruiser is the right vintage for the bravo... the owner has no clue what year it is. basically if I can get to it I can more or less have it. Or should I say can get it out. a small group of trees have decided they like growing all around this boat and through the trailer.

you have any information on that crank driven pump you've talked about? how is that set up?

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...44&FORM=IQFRBA

Take your pick...about $250 A-Z including brackets vs. $600 for the Merc belt driven setup. Marine Power, Crusader, Indimar, etc. use these. I have a pair on my two Vortec motors. Works great...no drama...bolts to the crankshaft pulley.

[IMG]/IMG]
Old 08-21-2013, 11:17 PM
Registered

Hmmm... that looks almost too simle to work...lol I love it. I've learned when out on the water, or off roading simple is usually the best.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:13 AM
Registered

Look at this way...you save a belt, pulley, and two brackets that are very hard to find for a small block unless you order them new...plus the pump. If you are out and the pump belt breaks you are done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.